Mods For Consoles

Should Console Players Get Mods  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should Certain Mods be integrated on a Toggle Basis so Console Players can use them.

• Yes
    • No

Console players have not been able to use mods due to their system, so why not make an adaptation to popular mods and have a repository of say, 25 mods that console players can enable and disable, e.g EVE, Scatterer, RSS, USI Life Support,  Galileo's Planet Pack, OPM, Before Kerbin, After Kerbin, Beyond Home, KW Rocketry, BD Armory, MKS, DMagic Orbital Science, Bon Voyage(drives rovers in background), Kerbal Engineer Redux, etc.

Edited by kspnerd122

On 4/3/2020 at 11:06 PM, kspnerd122 said:

Console players have not been able to use mods due to their system, so why not make an adaptation to popular mods and have a repository of say, 25 mods that console players can enable and disable, e.g EVE, Scatterer, RSS, USI Life Support,  Galileo's Planet Pack, OPM, Before Kerbin, After Kerbin, Beyond Home, KW Rocketry, BD Armory, MKS, DMagic Orbital Science, Bon Voyage(drives rovers in background), Kerbal Engineer Redux, etc.

That would be wayy too big, complicated and straight-up hard to program. Also it would wreck saves and cause general havoc. So a no from me.

Bethesda had to fight tooth and nail with Sony and Microsoft to get mods allowed on their platforms, and it really only worked because they have a specific file format just for mods that can be pre packaged and distributed. And even then these mods were limited to 900mb, so there's no chance in hell of KSP getting mods on console just on this hurdle alone.

But even if Squad decided to waste time and effort haggling with Sony and Microsoft, develop a new system of modding KSP that doesn't involve dumping loose files into a directory, and then intergrate that into the console version of KSP you still have the elephant in the room.

Performance...

There's no real nice way of saying this; the Xbox One and PS4 base models are basically 6-year old mobile hardware with a customized and locked down OS and excrementsty IO. Many of the mods you mention like Scatterer, EVE, Planet packs etc. are performance hogs even on mid-tier PC's, and they often have way better CPU's than the jaguar cores in the consoles currently. Any of these mods would bring the PS4 and Xbox One to their knees even at drastically reduced settings, and all the while they'd introduce bugs from the mods that the authors may not even be responsible for. So they'd also have to take over support for formerly unofficial content, and that would cause confusion to new players looking for the mods on both platforms. Afterall authors are already bombarded with requests to update their mods literally minutes after an update; imagine if they thought they were paying for support from Squad how much people would badger them for updates?

The console version of KSP is also just at base a loveing trainwreck, with numerous bugs that seem to increase with each iteration. Add mods on top that require the game to run at such low quality you may as well be playing on a PS2 and you have a formula for bad things galore.

Now the next generation of consoles? KSP2 if it comes to those could perhaps explore the idea, but it runs into 2 of these issues minimum and i'm assuming they port it well. So it would only solve performance, and that's only if the port wasn't a trainwreck.

22 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Bethesda had to fight tooth and nail with Sony and Microsoft to get mods allowed on their platforms, and it really only worked because they have a specific file format just for mods that can be pre packaged and distributed. And even then these mods were limited to 900mb, so there's no chance in hell of KSP getting mods on console just on this hurdle alone.

But even if Squad decided to waste time and effort haggling with Sony and Microsoft, develop a new system of modding KSP that doesn't involve dumping loose files into a directory, and then intergrate that into the console version of KSP you still have the elephant in the room.

Performance...

There's no real nice way of saying this; the Xbox One and PS4 base models are basically 6-year old mobile hardware with a customized and locked down OS and excrementsty IO. Many of the mods you mention like Scatterer, EVE, Planet packs etc. are performance hogs even on mid-tier PC's, and they often have way better CPU's than the jaguar cores in the consoles currently. Any of these mods would bring the PS4 and Xbox One to their knees even at drastically reduced settings, and all the while they'd introduce bugs from the mods that the authors may not even be responsible for. So they'd also have to take over support for formerly unofficial content, and that would cause confusion to new players looking for the mods on both platforms. Afterall authors are already bombarded with requests to update their mods literally minutes after an update; imagine if they thought they were paying for support from Squad how much people would badger them for updates?

The console version of KSP is also just at base a loveing trainwreck, with numerous bugs that seem to increase with each iteration. Add mods on top that require the game to run at such low quality you may as well be playing on a PS2 and you have a formula for bad things galore.

Now the next generation of consoles? KSP2 if it comes to those could perhaps explore the idea, but it runs into 2 of these issues minimum and i'm assuming they port it well. So it would only solve performance, and that's only if the port wasn't a trainwreck.

You have a point, but there are some mods can work PERFECTLY for Xbox  One or PS4, mods like, I don't know, like the colonies mod or BD armory. I haven't tried them but I think that the facts are this. 

(P.S: yes there are mods that can kill your console in only one shot.)

On 4/6/2020 at 3:11 AM, Goaty1208 said:

You have a point, but there are some mods can work PERFECTLY for Xbox  One or PS4, mods like, I don't know, like the colonies mod or BD armory. I haven't tried them but I think that the facts are this. 

(P.S: yes there are mods that can kill your console in only one shot.)

BD armory? Which requires Physics Range Extender? Which is the weakest area for the Consoles?

Colonies? Which involve dozens of objects?

I don't doubt that there's some mods that could run on Consoles, but without a universal, portable format like Bethesda's .esp/.esm archives they'd have to individually test every mod and individually port it over. It's not going to happen for KSP, and i seriously doubt it will for KSP2 which seems to be even more PC centric than KSP1.

1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

KW rocketry for example definitely could work on a console

Yes but that is just too much work, as I said above. Turning it on or off is somewhat useless. If they are going to add something to console, they might as well add it fully rather than being toggle-able (which means the same thing would happen to PC). Again I do not think Squad are up for this at all as it is much too much work and manpower.

47 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

I feel it should be toggle because stuff such as RSS if it were forced on would make players angry

As I have already said A COUPLE OF TIMES NOW, adding a toggle is too intensive, and the manpower and licensing stuff would be just too hard..

Aside from licensing issues, consoles have different architecture from PCs. Porting games and mods isn't just a matter of recompiling to a different target, there will be changes that need to be made. Sometimes large ones.

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Yeah, that’s my bad, sorry. 

I once played on a friend’s pc with nods installed and to me it kinda felt like cheating, how easy those mods made the game. 

That is true in some cases (looking at you MechJeb), but others like Principia do the exact opposite and rain down hell (but good hell) on the players, its that hard.

The argument over the propriety of using mods is as old as this game. Some people use them. Some people don't. Both are valid ways to play the game. Can we please leave it at that? 

A number of posts have been removed. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some posts removed. This forum does not consider something a "necro" unless the contents are obsolete. The OP may request that the thread be locked, if she/he wishes, But please don't clutter the threads with off-topic posts about "necroes."