[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

38 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

What is the recipe for cooking up graviolium?

You need to have the Far Future Tech Mod and it's dependencies by Nertea... There you get the Nova-Facility. This facility can create antimatter. Therefore you need a whole lot of energy and other stuff, which comes with the mod(s). 

So far so good. Than you take my patch (see above on the previous page), throw it in a cfg-file in your mod directory. This enables the nova-facility to convert the rare material antimatter into graviolium using again huge amounts of EC/s (we are talking about 10.000 EC/s. ). You will want to use the huge fusion reactors from far future tech (those are able to provide such huge amounts of electrical power), to power the antimatter creation and as step 2 later the conversion of the dangerous antimatter into the more stable graviolium particles. This patch suggests a 4:1 conversion of Antimatter into graviolium, but you can adjust it to your playstyle. Especially since you seem to need very much of it for your interstellar travels.

But be careful: Antimatter needs containment. So if you run out of energy, while having AM in those special AM storage tanks, they lose containment and the whole thing might blow up. (all of this are features of Far Future Tech). 

The whole process will also need high end cooling, so you will want to use the high powered radiators from Heat Control (also a mod by Nertea)

In fact, I built a whole production chain. Liquid Helium-3 from the moon (regolith-harvester.... picture above on this page) for the reactors, Deuterium from somewhere else.... Fission particles made out of enriched uranium (using the vulcan smelter from FFT). The enriched uranium is extracted from ore using the whirlyjig uranium centrifuge from FFT (or was it Near Future Tech? Anyways... the Nertea mods...)... so... yeah... I cook graviolium in a rather complex production chain. Many many new gameplay loops, if you tie all of those nice mods by Angelo and Nertea together. It also gives a really plausible tech. development from chemical rockets to hightech sub-light-drives like antimatter driven ones or nuclear saltwater driven ones... to the FTL-age.

I can create huge amounts of graviolium with this. The challenge is to build such a complex supply chain. The reward is the graviolium for the warp-age in industrial amounts. No more harvesting Dres or the 100th asteroid. Cook it by yourself, if you manage to build such a factory in space. This was really fun to me.

P.s. you can also adapt the patch (see previous forum page) to make it create propellium for your KFS-engines. To me it is a plausible step in the middle-late game to set up industrial processes to feed your high tech fleets.

Edited by Rakete

8 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Ok.  Simple recipe.  EC and anti-matter.  Getting to the needed amounts of EC and the anti-matter are a whole different thing.

Whew.  it would be a pretty steep learning curve for me, but it sounds interesting.

Yes, the learning curve is steep, but you won't regret it. It brings many many many new gameplay loops with it. I love how good the Nertea and the Angelo mods play out side by side.

If the recipe is to simple for you, you may add another resource to the recipe... maybe ore... or oxidizer, or what ever suits your playstyle.

P.S. the amount of EC/s is the same that the facility uses to create antimatter (as set and balanced by nertea). I didn't want to make it even harder. If you have antimatter, you have graviolium.

Sidenote: the novafacility can also create Antimatter out of EC and iirc LqH2, which can also be harvested in space. If i also remember correctly there are also spots where you can harvest antimatter directly using a huge bussard collector from FFT. I guess, it was jool, where you can get AM for free. 

With those sublight FFT drives you can also build ships with several hundrets of thousands dV. They are really advanced ajd really powerful.

Edited by Rakete

@Ooglak Kerman: tip: if you want to dive into the mods by nertea start slowly. Pick one mod after another. Start with system heat, heat control, near future propulsion and near future electrical. Get to know the mechanics. From there on add spacedust. 

[Nice to have, but optional: NF-Launch vehicles, NF Spacecraft (you will not regret it). You may also want to give Kerbal atomics and cryogenic engines a try (also nertea mods, that use those mechanics and introduce even more, that you need later on in FFT).] especially the whole reactor mechanic is really great implemented.

When you are good to go, than expand your experience to Far Future Tech which builds upon the foundation you learned from those other mods

Edited by Rakete

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

So,... you like the concept of Blueshift hooking into a complex FFT-production chain to create graviolium? I thought, it would be a nice idea to setup an industrial process in the late game.

I personally don't use FFT, but if it's something that you want to support, I can post a link to your repository where you have the config files. :)

6 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

I personally don't use FFT, but if it's something that you want to support, I can post a link to your repository where you have the config files. :)

Eeehhhh... I have no repo, because... eehh... i am not a modder. But maybe others like to connect those mods and want to use it. You may use the patch, redistribute it or change it or integrate it as optional patch in blueshift. No credits to me needed. Just wanted to share my 2 cents to maybe even more enhance the already fantastic blueshift experience.

Blueshift has become one of my must-have mods. I wouldn't play ksp anymore without it.

Edited by Rakete

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Eeehhhh... I have no repo, because... eehh... i am not a modder. But maybe others like to connect those mods and want to use it. You may use the patch, redistribute it or change it or integrate it as optional patch in blueshift. No credits to me needed. Just wanted to share my 2 cents to maybe even more enhance the already fantastic blueshift experience.

Blueshift has become one of my must-have mods. I wouldn't play ksp anymore without it.

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate you putting effort into customizing Blueshift to better suit your needs and then sharing the results. :) The problem for me is that in the past, I've gotten stuck with maintaining a patch that I've no idea how it works with the other mod. This has happened to me on more than one occasion, and it's something that I would like to avoid. I would instead encourage you to open a GitHub account (it's really easy to do) and post your files there. Or, just find a free file host like Google Docs. If the patch isn't large, then you could post it in a forum post and leave instructions on how to copy and paste it into the game.

As far as antimatter + EC = graviolium, that's a good production chain. Graviolium is just Mass Effect's eezo with the serial numbers filed off, so if you wanted to stay more true to the lore, then you could combine EC, Ore, and antimatter to produce graviolium. Effectively, you'd be simulating a star going supernova and bathing "solid matter" in radiation to produce graviolium. Technically though, the creation process is entirely up to the player since that's not something that I ever specified. For all we know, it could be dried kraken blood.  Its origins might be something I'll explore with KSP 2's upcoming science system...

FYI, for KSP 2, I plan to change the nature of graviolium slightly so that it appears as an element in the island of stability so it'll have significant mass. Based on the AMA from Thursday, the intent in KSP 2 is to refine raw resources that you mine into something usable, and that's something I want to explore as well. I could see graviolium ore looking something like KSP 1's magic boulder, with veins of glowing stuff that you then refine into graviolium.

4 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate you putting effort into customizing Blueshift to better suit your needs and then sharing the results. :) The problem for me is that in the past, I've gotten stuck with maintaining a patch that I've no idea how it works with the other mod. This has happened to me on more than one occasion, and it's something that I would like to avoid. I would instead encourage you to open a GitHub account (it's really easy to do) and post your files there. Or, just find a free file host like Google Docs. If the patch isn't large, then you could post it in a forum post and leave instructions on how to copy and paste it into the game.

As far as antimatter + EC = graviolium, that's a good production chain. Graviolium is just Mass Effect's eezo with the serial numbers filed off, so if you wanted to stay more true to the lore, then you could combine EC, Ore, and antimatter to produce graviolium. Effectively, you'd be simulating a star going supernova and bathing "solid matter" in radiation to produce graviolium. Technically though, the creation process is entirely up to the player since that's not something that I ever specified. For all we know, it could be dried kraken blood.  Its origins might be something I'll explore with KSP 2's upcoming science system...

FYI, for KSP 2, I plan to change the nature of graviolium slightly so that it appears as an element in the island of stability so it'll have significant mass. Based on the AMA from Thursday, the intent in KSP 2 is to refine raw resources that you mine into something usable, and that's something I want to explore as well. I could see graviolium ore looking something like KSP 1's magic boulder, with veins of glowing stuff that you then refine into graviolium.

I love the idea of being able to produce Graviolium and agree that Ore (lots of Ore) should probably be in the recipe somewhere.  Ideally, GU-enriched Ore that would then need to be processed with yet more crap tons of EC and maybe Nitronite - or something to refine out the Graviolium.

Not a fan of needing to use FFT or the like though.  Easy enough to write a patch for the pathfinder omniconverter to make it - but antimatter is probably off the menu.  And in any event, if you have to bring ingredients from all over to make a small amount of it that isn't gonna pay for the cost to bring all the things together... not gonna happen.

So.. it comes from a star going supernova.  That means you basically need radiation (lots), and pressure (lots), and suitable matter.  Any ideas on bringing radiation and pressure together on some matter? 

It should be resource intensive, but should be doable with the resources on a single suitable planet/moon.  You would just need extravagant harvesting, production, and storage capabilities.   Easy enough to do a resource patch for a single planet/moon in the stock system so that it has all the needed things - I like Dres because -- it's Dres.  And it's all only available in the canyon.  Muharhar.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

36 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

So.. it comes from a star going supernova.  That means you basically need radiation (lots), and pressure (lots), and suitable matter.  Any ideas on bringing radiation and pressure together on some matter? 

Offhand, what about using the ElectroPlasma resource from the WBI fusion reactors? It's essentially the plasma from a fusion reaction...

10 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Offhand, what about using the ElectroPlasma resource from the WBI fusion reactors? It's essentially the plasma from a fusion reaction...

Maybe have a conversion of ElectroPlasma to GravityWaves via some <thing>.  I see GravityWaves as a very necessary part of this - but they would need to be able to be created in a way that would not need a continuing source of graviolium and such that it could not be done on a ship.

19 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I love the idea of being able to produce Graviolium and agree that Ore (lots of Ore) should probably be in the recipe somewhere.  Ideally, GU-enriched Ore that would then need to be processed with yet more crap tons of EC and maybe Nitronite - or something to refine out the Graviolium.

Not a fan of needing to use FFT or the like though.  Easy enough to write a patch for the pathfinder omniconverter to make it - but antimatter is probably off the menu.  And in any event, if you have to bring ingredients from all over to make a small amount of it that isn't gonna pay for the cost to bring all the things together... not gonna happen.

It should be resource intensive, but should be doable with the resources on a single suitable planet/moon.  You would just need extravagant harvesting, production, and storage capabilities.   Easy enough to do a resource patch for a single planet/moon in the stock system so that it has all the needed things - I like Dres because -- it's Dres.  And it's all only available in the canyon.  Muharhar.

Feel free to offer a patch for a different way to produce graviolium. They may be delivered as optional patches with BS, so that the users can pick and choose. I'd love to see other ideas on that topic. This was just my approach, because I am a FFT user and wanted to intensify the interconnection between the Angelo and the Nertea mod world in my KSP-install. So i have do admit: I did that primarily for myself. :cool: 

If you have different ideas and different mods to connect to: great! I'd love to see the gameplay possibilities grow.

Edited by Rakete

Blueshift 1.9.5 is now available:

- Added new entry for settings.cfg: interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier. This modifier reduces the resources required to power warp engines while in interstellar space. It is a percentage value between 0 and 99.999. The default value is 10. You can override this global setting by specifying this value in the WBIWarpEngine config.

- WBIWarpEngine: Added new interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier that will reduce the resource consumption of all WBIModuleGeneratorFX part modules when the vessel is in interstellar space. This is a percentage value between 0 and 99.999. The default is 10, meaning that all generators will reduce their input resource consumption by 10% while keeping the output rates the same.

Bottom line: This reduction will enable ships to consume less graviolium while out in interstellar space.

59 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Blueshift 1.9.5 is now available:

- Added new entry for settings.cfg: interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier. This modifier reduces the resources required to power warp engines while in interstellar space. It is a percentage value between 0 and 99.999. The default value is 10. You can override this global setting by specifying this value in the WBIWarpEngine config.

- WBIWarpEngine: Added new interstellarResourceConsumptionModifier that will reduce the resource consumption of all WBIModuleGeneratorFX part modules when the vessel is in interstellar space. This is a percentage value between 0 and 99.999. The default is 10, meaning that all generators will reduce their input resource consumption by 10% while keeping the output rates the same.

Bottom line: This reduction will enable ships to consume less graviolium while out in interstellar space.

Family sized bucket of awesome sauce there.  Thanks!

On 4/22/2023 at 5:33 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

it appears as an element in the island of stability so it'll have significant mass.

I didn't know you were getting on this train too. :) I'm hoping to do some prospecting on that island as well and I welcome the high atomic mass of the substance I choose, whatever it is. I'm aiming for exotic torch drives and power generation, though, as writing plugins and epic behaviors like anti-gravity is out of my skillset.

20 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

but they would need to be able to be created in a way that would not need a continuing source of graviolium and such that it could not be done on a ship.

If you've tinkered with WBI resource converters (such as DSEV's fusion reactors or Pathfinder's one) you'll see a REQUIRED_RESOURCE{} config node. Through this you provide for the up-front cost to start the converter. FFT, MKS and likely KSPI-E also implement something like this.

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Feel free to offer a patch for a different way to produce graviolium. They may be delivered as optional patches with BS, so that the users can pick and choose. I'd love to see other ideas on that topic. This was just my approach, because I am a FFT user and wanted to intensify the interconnection between the Angelo and the Nertea mod world in my KSP-install. So i have do admit: I did that primarily for myself. :cool: 

If you have different ideas and different mods to connect to: great! I'd love to see the gameplay possibilities grow.

After a bit of brainstorming with Ooglak I've decided on a means to synthesize Graviolium and which has no direct involvement with FFT, Antimatter or any lengthy ISRU chain, and can be more useful to more players. I'll keep you posted. ;)

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

After a bit of brainstorming with Ooglak I've decided on a means to synthesize Graviolium and which has no direct involvement with FFT, Antimatter or any lengthy ISRU chain, and can be more useful to more players. I'll keep you posted

I'd love to see different approaches. Looking forward to seeing new ideas (and maybe patches, that also work with my mod setup.) Maybe the Gravi-synthesis deserves an own part, made for that. Unfortunately I am not a 3D artist to create such thing. But I think, the gravi-production should be very energy hungry because we cook exotic particles. Very exotic ones.... more exotic than the higgs boson. :D

If you target usefulness to a bigger number or players, maybe consider using only ressources/parts that come with blueshift itself?! Otherwise you run in the same dependency trap like my approach did. E.g. I don't have KFS, cause i'm not the UFO guy... etc. The more i think about it, the more i get to the point, where a nice dedicated part would be good. maybe delivered optional in all mods that use graviolium as optional extra... 

@JadeOfMaar

For me antimatter was the way to go, because I didn't use those AM engines in FFT that much and now I have a reason to build that antimatter facility in space - so for me it ties the two mod worlds to each other and makes me use unfortunately neglected gameplay loops. Because... i love complexity. But not all players do, i get that. I love to have a reason to build complex stuff like that industrial space complex shown in the pictures. So i had to build big stuff to farm my graviolium. 

Edited by Rakete

11 hours ago, Rakete said:

If you target usefulness to a bigger number or players, maybe consider using only ressources/parts that come with blueshift itself?! Otherwise you run in the same dependency trap like my approach did. E.g. I don't have KFS, cause i'm not the UFO guy... etc. The more i think about it, the more i get to the point, where a nice dedicated part would be good. maybe delivered optional in all mods that use graviolium as optional extra...

One of the things that I want to address in KSP 2 is the common origins of graviolium. In a nutshell, have a small suite of mods under the Blueshift banner for gravitic tech, FTL tech, and saucer tech. They'd all have a common core, so you can mix and match as desired.

1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

One of the things that I want to address in KSP 2 is the common origins of graviolium. In a nutshell, have a small suite of mods under the Blueshift banner for gravitic tech, FTL tech, and saucer tech. They'd all have a common core, so you can mix and match as desired.

Great plan... For me this will have to wait, since my pc is not ksp2 capable. :( But I wish you all the best for Blueshift 2.

33 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Great plan... For me this will have to wait, since my pc is not ksp2 capable. :( But I wish you all the best for Blueshift 2.

Oh no worries, this is all a few months down the road. The KSP 2 roadmap won't have resource extraction for a long time, for instance, and there's no telling when official mod support will be available.

• 1 month later...

Loving the mod, just spent the past few days messing around with the FTL drives, and started to devise a plan to warp out to a comet I have tracked around Kerbol and haul or warp it back to Kerbin, but I've got a few questions...

- How do I know how much Graviolium I need? Does a heavier vessel (or, hypothetically, a vessel attached to a Class I asteroid) need more Graviolium than a lighter one for the same trip distance?

- What do the tetrahedrons do? When approaching them, I've gotten a message pop up on  screen, but I don't think I've seen any changes...

21 hours ago, SM_2023 said:

Loving the mod, just spent the past few days messing around with the FTL drives, and started to devise a plan to warp out to a comet I have tracked around Kerbol and haul or warp it back to Kerbin, but I've got a few questions...

- How do I know how much Graviolium I need? Does a heavier vessel (or, hypothetically, a vessel attached to a Class I asteroid) need more Graviolium than a lighter one for the same trip distance?

- What do the tetrahedrons do? When approaching them, I've gotten a message pop up on  screen, but I don't think I've seen any changes...

My advice may not be too solid but, if you want to move an asteroid or comet, use reaction engines that run on something better than LiquidFuel. If your warp drive can even move such mass, you may burn out all of the Graviolium in it. It's better you focus your warp potential on bringing the equipment to build a big and fast mining rig, and on running back to Kerbin with your haul of mined resources.

22 hours ago, SM_2023 said:

The tetrahedrons will impart knowledge - I.E. randomly bump you up along the tech tree.  If you are fully filled out - then they are just interesting things to play with.  Jeb built a hotel/resort out of several.  That was fun.

As for moving a comet.  Whether you will be able to do it at all will depend on the mass and the warp capacity your ship has.  I've moved tetrahedons with warp ships and it's a slow go.  I would think that a comet would mass too much for you to be able to enter warp though.  A heavier thing will require more graviolium for the trip than a lighter one by virtue of the fact that the trip will take longer.  Graviolium usage rate is constant for each engine regardless of throttle setting.

If you have plenty of graviolium, then warp on out - then use the gravatic engine to adjust the orbit.

Really though, if you are looking to harvest graviolium - look to Jool

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

The tetrahedrons will impart knowledge - I.E. randomly bump you up along the tech tree.  If you are fully filled out - then they are just interesting things to play with.  Jeb built a hotel/resort out of several.  That was fun.

As for moving a comet.  Whether you will be able to do it at all will depend on the mass and the warp capacity your ship has.  I've moved tetrahedons with warp ships and it's a slow go.  I would think that a comet would mass too much for you to be able to enter warp though.  A heavier thing will require more graviolium for the trip than a lighter one by virtue of the fact that the trip will take longer.  Graviolium usage rate is constant for each engine regardless of throttle setting.

If you have plenty of graviolium, then warp on out - then use the gravatic engine to adjust the orbit.

Really though, if you are looking to harvest graviolium - look to Jool

Noted! I'm not too concerned about Graviolium, I've got quite a bit of asteroids captured in orbit around Kerbin that I could use.

I got hyped after seeing that Graviolium usage for short trips wasn't huge, but then realized that warp drives needed Liquid Deuterium as well lol
Did some testing and found that, of course, Jool has quite a bit of it in the atmosphere, which means that (a) I'll need to head to Jool after unlocking the particle collectors (KCT go brrrr) and (b) I have to figure out how to supply the hungry particle converters...

Would be easier if I could harvest it from the surface of the Mun or Minmus, but I don't think I've found any way of doing that...

5 minutes ago, SM_2023 said:

Would be easier if I could harvest it from the surface of the Mun or Minmus, but I don't think I've found any way of doing that...

It would be far too easy if Graviolium was there. So it's not there. There'd be no point to "boldly going" if you only have to "go" as far as your kitchen garden.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It would be far too easy if Graviolium was there. So it's not there. There'd be no point to "boldly going" if you only have to "go" as far as your kitchen garden.

True, but I was referencing Liquid Deuterium, not Graviolium, but I'm assuming this applies for Liquid Deuterium as well

Edited by SM_2023

8 minutes ago, SM_2023 said:

True, but I was referencing Liquid Deuterium, not Graviolium, but I'm assuming this applies for Liquid Deuterium as well

Ah. Oops. Not looking to shamelessly promote but I take care of the presence of Deuterium and other very important resources with my mod, Rational Resources. Everywhere that you expect to find Hydrogen or water, you can mine Deuterium. You will find a lot of Hydrates and not water in places. This is actually other resources bound in water molecule cages.