[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

People ask how orbit circularization works with the Blueshift warp drive.  I have studied this intensively.
My research indicates that in the process of producing gravity waves that power the warp coils, the drive also produces particles of handwavium which are stored (for their very brief life) and used for orbit circularization.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:49 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

People ask how orbit circularization works with the Blueshift warp drive.  I have studied this intensively.
My research indicates that in the process of producing gravity waves that power the warp coils, the drive also produces particles of handwavium which are stored (for their very brief life) and used for orbit circularization.

It uses an Applied Plot Device to rapidly warp around the planet until its orbit is circularized, combined with a micro timewarp so that it doesn't take time. The crew gets strangely hungry afterwards, as if they haven't eaten for days...

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It uses an Applied Plot Device to rapidly warp around the planet until its orbit is circularized, combined with a micro timewarp so that it doesn't take time. The crew gets strangely hungry afterwards, as if they haven't eaten for days...

Kerbals are always hungry. :D But in this case they are extra extra extra hungry. Mission reports tell about kerbals having bitten into their pillows after warping, because they considered them to be made of cotton candy snacks. 

Kerbal weight watchers do not advice warping more than twice a week due to unforseable kcal boosts by eating large amounts of snacks (not pillows)

Edited by Rakete

• 4 weeks later...

Still noodling some FTL ideas for KSP 2...

https://github.com/Angel-125/Blueshift/issues/24

Jump Engine

·         It takes a few milliseconds to jump.

·         Your velocity doesn’t change when you jump.

·         It takes 1 hour/50 metric tons to charge the jump capacitors. This might instead be tied to Gravity Waves.

·         Engines are limited by max jump range, max jump mass, and max gravity.

·         The bigger the jump engine, the better its max jump range, jump mass, and gravity.

·         Max gravity applies to both ends of the wormhole and is additive. Example: if the max jump is 0.1g, and the gravity at the ship’s endpoint is 0.01g, then the max gravity allowed at the destination end is 0.09g.

·         The above implies that the higher up the gravity well you are when you jump, the lower into the destination’s gravity well you can go when you land. In other words, the higher your jump orbit, the lower your orbit can be when you land.

·         When you jump, you jump in a straight line- except when there is a nearby celestial body. Project a 15-degree cone out to the distance of your maximum jump range. If a celestial body intersects the cone, then the destination endpoint will appear in the gravity well of the nearest celestial body.

·         Optional: Max jump range is further limited by max gravity.

Waystation

·         It is also known as a Jump Point.

·         A wormhole’s destination endpoint will jump to the nearest Waystation along its flightpath before it jumps to the nearest gravity well.

·         A Waystation’s max gravity rating is added to the max gravity of the jump engine for the purposes of jumping into a gravity well. This allows ships to jump closer to a star than would normally be possible.

Jump Gate

·         It is a Waystation with the extra ability to generate a wormhole.

·         It is limited by max jump range, max jump mass, and max gravity.

·         It can combine its wormhole with another jump gate or a jump ship.

·         Jump ranges can be extended by forming a pathway through multiple jump gates. Think of Mass Effect relays.

·         A jump gate combining its wormhole with a jump ship reduces the ship’s cost to generate a wormhole.

Looks great, can’t wait for KSP2! You have any idea how effects will work (someone planning to make waterfall 2, your own system, or the stock one?)

Still planning out my Astral Express… I don’t care how hard it will be to get the effects right, it’s an FTL space train!

Edited by SkyFall2489

44 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Looks great, can’t wait for KSP2! You have any idea how effects will work (someone planning to make waterfall 2, your own system, or the stock one?)

Still planning out my Astral Express… I don’t care how hard it will be to get the effects right, it’s an FTL space train!

I'm hoping that KSP 2 will allow for instantaneous travel- repositioning the craft, like is possible in KSP 1. If so then the jump tech will be viable. As for special effects, I want to do something like this:

I'm particularly fond of the effects used on Battlestar Galactica, and if KSP 2 can do what KSP 1 can then I can make the whole ship fade out when it jumps and fade in again when it lands.

I am wondering, where do I find graviolium in space? It says deep space and such, but I am not sure of where as I am playing a system replacer. I tested the busard collectors in low homeworld orbit, near the planet in a solar orbit, near the binary stars, and in interstellar space and yet still none.

17 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

I am wondering, where do I find graviolium in space? It says deep space and such, but I am not sure of where as I am playing a system replacer. I tested the busard collectors in low homeworld orbit, near the planet in a solar orbit, near the binary stars, and in interstellar space and yet still none.

@Ooglak Kerman has had luck finding it in Jool orbit, I think. You can also mine asteroids (especially magic boulders), and on the surface of Dres. Blueshift's collectors aren't the best as they mostly rely on the stock resource system- and it isn't the best.

Side note: yes, there will be a Blueshift for KSP 2. It'll be expanded to support my gravitic technologies beyond just FTL. :)

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@Ooglak Kerman has had luck finding it in Jool orbit, I think. You can also mine asteroids (especially magic boulders), and on the surface of Dres. Blueshift's collectors aren't the best as they mostly rely on the stock resource system- and it isn't the best.

Side note: yes, there will be a Blueshift for KSP 2. It'll be expanded to support my gravitic technologies beyond just FTL. :)

ah ok.. I am running a system replacer so it may not work at all there... so I will just use drills and such to mine the asteroids

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Jool generally has good exoatmospheric graviolium.    I believe the range is 1-3 planetary radius.  The easiest approach is to have a warp capable graviolium collector and circularize it at around 3.5 radius out from Jool and drive slowly directly inward with the graviolium collector turned on.  When you get to the position where the concentration is to your liking, circularize and prosper.  Note that this requires that Flying Saucers be installed. 

@Angel-125 happy dance!!  FTL and gravatic for the win!

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

34 minutes ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

ah ok.. I am running a system replacer so it may not work at all there... so I will just use drills and such to mine the asteroids

Mining asteroids is a good strategy.  Go for the big boys.  Blueshift and the gravatic drive makes this pretty ez-pz - though tedious.  Scooping it from orbit is the easiest though.  Just visit once in a while to collect the takings.  Here is my big Jool scoop.  Tanker coming in to load up.

Spoiler

ewl6i49.png

@Angelo Kerman I've run into this issue with one of my warp ships in orbit of Alva in Nova Kirbani.  Note that the drive can't figure out its spatial location and it won't make the make the warp go-ness.  I had this exact thing happen before with a ship I was taking from service and wrote it off as an anomaly.

Any thought how I can get it to work again?  Another ship in orbit is having no problems.  The planetary radius of Alva is 395KM, so that's not an issue.  I've tried shifting focus, and restarting the game

Spoiler

ntIDDsB.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Just now, Angelo Kerman said:

(this is why in KSP 2, I want to do jump tech...)

I'll have to wait until tonight to try and fix this. Not sure what causes it, but one thing I can try to do is recompute the ship's location whenever you restart the engine.

Looking through how it updates location, it looks like if it gets a unknown location for some reason then that is what will stick.  I appreciate you looking at this.

I looked at persistent.sfs and the state is correct.  Just not being picked up for some reason.  Do you save the last location somewhere?

I'm gonna move the ship out to interplanetary space and see if the change of scenery unsticks it.  I don't remember for sure, but I <think> I got lazy and cheated the ship from Leyn to Alva orbit rather than drive it out.  I know I had done that with the other ship that I had to remove.  Cheated it from Leyn orbit (Nova Kirbani B) back to Kerbin. 

I tried moving out to interplanetary space with another warp ship docked.  Interesting.  It was a slide show.  I think the drive that went stupid was trying to figure where it was and couldn't.  I cheated it back to Leyn.  No go.  It just doesn't want to figure out where it is.

2 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I tried moving out to interplanetary space with another warp ship docked.  Interesting.  It was a slide show.  I think the drive that went stupid was trying to figure where it was and couldn't.  I cheated it back to Leyn.  No go.  It just doesn't want to figure out where it is.

I don't know if this will work; I'd have to do an in-depth analysis on what's going wrong with your warp engine. It sounds cranky. Anyway, Try this quick hotfix and see if it helps. You'll need to shut down the engine and restart it.

4 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

No go.  It just doesn't want to figure out where it is.

Your dilithium matrix in the warp core needs to be recrystalized. Ask Kirk & Spock, you can do it with energized photons from nuclear reactors. (Hope you get the movie reference). But please don't get caught while stealing collecting them. Starfleet ID cards don't help everywhere.

Jokes aside. Maybe send your savegame and modlist to angelo, to give him a real chance to debug, whats wrong in the code. 

Edited by Rakete

10 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

I don't know if this will work; I'd have to do an in-depth analysis on what's going wrong with your warp engine. It sounds cranky. Anyway, Try this quick hotfix and see if it helps. You'll need to shut down the engine and restart it.

Interesting.  While shut down, the engine reads "Spatial Location: Planetary".  Then when you start it, it switches to "Unknown".  When you shut back down, it goes back to "Planetary"

I've gone through the logs with a fine tooth comb and evidently it doesn't think anything is wrong.  I'll send them to you if you want though.

I'm just going to send out a replacement for the ship.  It's not a big deal and I think that something with the cheating of the orbit caused this - but why for just one ship and why won't it shake off that status?  The other ship in the same orbit (nearly) has no problems at all.  Probably not worth spending a lot of time on though.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

10 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Interesting.  While shut down, the engine reads "Spatial Location: Planetary".  Then when you start it, it switches to "Unknown".  When you shut back down, it goes back to "Planetary"

I've gone through the logs with a fine tooth comb and evidently it doesn't think anything is wrong.  I'll send them to you if you want though.

I'm just going to send out a replacement for the ship.  It's not a big deal and I think that something with the cheating of the orbit caused this - but why for just one ship and why won't it shake off that status?  The other ship in the same orbit (nearly) has no problems at all.  Probably not worth spending a lot of time on though.

It sounds like there is a problem with a persistent state with that specific engine. If the same type of vessel doesn't have an issue then the problem is with the engine itself. I'd have to take a detailed look to see what's going on though, and add more debug logs to get details. That'll have to wait until tomorrow at least when I have access to my development PC.

25 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

It sounds like there is a problem with a persistent state with that specific engine. If the same type of vessel doesn't have an issue then the problem is with the engine itself. I'd have to take a detailed look to see what's going on though, and add more debug logs to get details. That'll have to wait until tomorrow at least when I have access to my development PC.

If you want to wrangle on it, let me know what you'll need.  The ship with the issue has a S2 warp core.  The other ship in orbit has a S3 warp core.

Hrrm..  I've got another ship with a S2 core that has this issue.  It was out of fusion pellets for some reason but I don't know if this is causal.

Do you store a persistent state somewhere other than the save file?

Edited by Ooglak Kerman