[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I set a minigate up in orbit and gated a Kerbal from the Center up to it.  Said Kerbal became unresponsive and just walking.  Is this expected?  Seems you said something about that.

Yes. Unfortunately, kerbals gating to space and getting stuck is a known issue. The game can’t figure out that the kerbal is in space.

Looks to me like it's waiting for the kerbal (or maybe a vehicle also) to touch down onto the ground - which doesn't exist.  Well... that's a problem to work around.  Surely the League Of Smart Technologists will figure something.

How about the toll issue for the alien gate?  paidByTraveler.  If "false" who pays?  Inquiring minds inquire.

12 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Looks to me like it's waiting for the kerbal (or maybe a vehicle also) to touch down onto the ground - which doesn't exist.  Well... that's a problem to work around.  Surely the League Of Smart Technologists will figure something.

How about the toll issue for the alien gate?  paidByTraveler.  If "false" who pays?  Inquiring minds inquire.

If set to false then the gate itself pays the toll.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

The gate doesn't appear to have graviolium provisioned in it though.  How does it pay the toll then?  Handwave?

If the gate lets you teleport even though it has no Graviolium but the gate should be paying the toll then it’s a bug.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

If the gate lets you teleport even though it has no Graviolium but the gate should be paying the toll then it’s a bug.

Interesting.  The alien jumpgates don't have any provisioning in the .cfg for an amount of graviolium - like the minigate platform does.
At this stage, I'd say it's not worth worrying about though.

48 minutes ago, Oogieboogie said:

Hello! When I select “select destination gate” nothing happens! Please help! I configured everything correctly 

There must be more than 2 gates in the network for you to get the selector.  You will not get that if there is only 1 or 2 gates.

2 hours ago, haydne said:

my warp dirve says it can exceed light speed but when i actually get up it says flame out cause: need more power (i am past needed altitude). any help would be nice. thanks

Also, be sure to activate all the things. Warp core, gravitic generator, and coils all need to be there and be active.

Is this exception meaningful? I see it from time to time in the ol' logs, but unsure what's going on. Possibly some kind of anomaly spawning error due to having Galaxies Unbound or OPM or something like that installed?

Spoiler

[EXC 20:32:35.806] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ProtoVessel.CreateVesselNode (System.String vesselName, VesselType vesselType, Orbit orbit, System.Int32 rootPartIndex, ConfigNode[] partNodes, ConfigNode[] additionalNodes) (at <0435390348b6470d8166bd1c53b4b100>:0)
    Blueshift.WBISpaceAnomaly.createAnomalyVessel (Blueshift.WBISpaceAnomaly anomaly) (at <659f11d1ab2841fb8ed625578cfc345d>:0)
    Blueshift.WBISpaceAnomaly.createRandomAnomaly () (at <659f11d1ab2841fb8ed625578cfc345d>:0)
    Blueshift.WBISpaceAnomaly.CreateNewInstancesIfNeeded (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] spaceAnomalies) (at <659f11d1ab2841fb8ed625578cfc345d>:0)
    Blueshift.BlueshiftScenario.checkForNewAnomalies () (at <659f11d1ab2841fb8ed625578cfc345d>:0)
    Blueshift.BlueshiftScenario+<handleAnomalyChecks>d__65.MoveNext () (at <659f11d1ab2841fb8ed625578cfc345d>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    Blueshift.BlueshiftScenario:FixedUpdate()

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6vznjs2gxbe8in/KSP-blueshiftexceptionmaybe.log?dl=0

Just a few comments

A. It appears warp sustainers can't be given action groups in the VAB; I've got hundreds (Kax A* is a long way away!) and have to bind them in flight. I don't believe needing to manually enable these should be required as I can't think of a scenario where the player needs them off or where having some off and some on would be needed.

B. It seems warp drives passively consume graviolium even when shut off, so I have to disable the consumption of graviolium from each tank when I don't need them using.

C. Graviolium cheat doesn't obey symmetry, but the amount of graviolium does. Have two tanks in symmetry and enable the cheat in both, and fill them with graviolium. They'll fill in symmetry, but they don't sync when you toggle the cheat.

D. The ability to timewarp while in supercruise is well appreciated! I remember the old USI standalone Alcubierre drive didn't have this and it was tedious to use for very long trips. It's tampermental and sometimes my ships freeze in place while still consuming graviolium as if I were busy adjusting my throttle even though I'm not touching it at all, and other times it stops timewarp altogether if I jump to 100,000x too quickly (but I suspect that's vanilla resource consumption + persistent thrust being daft - this happens with other engines under the flippant pretense of "no more resources"; there is still resources, just KSP can't make its mind up on how quickly these resources should be depleting). Still, I'm glad someone recognises that some people have a use for going to 100,000x warp while already going 10x faster than light.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Just a few comments

A. It appears warp sustainers can't be given action groups in the VAB; I've got hundreds (Kax A* is a long way away!) and have to bind them in flight. I don't believe needing to manually enable these should be required as I can't think of a scenario where the player needs them off or where having some off and some on would be needed.

B. It seems warp drives passively consume graviolium even when shut off, so I have to disable the consumption of graviolium from each tank when I don't need them using.

C. Graviolium cheat doesn't obey symmetry, but the amount of graviolium does. Have two tanks in symmetry and enable the cheat in both, and fill them with graviolium. They'll fill in symmetry, but they don't sync when you toggle the cheat.

D. The ability to timewarp while in supercruise is well appreciated! I remember the old USI standalone Alcubierre drive didn't have this and it was tedious to use for very long trips. It's tampermental and sometimes my ships freeze in place while still consuming graviolium as if I were busy adjusting my throttle even though I'm not touching it at all, and other times it stops timewarp altogether if I jump to 100,000x too quickly (but I suspect that's vanilla resource consumption + persistent thrust being daft - this happens with other engines under the flippant pretense of "no more resources"; there is still resources, just KSP can't make its mind up on how quickly these resources should be depleting). Still, I'm glad someone recognises that some people have a use for going to 100,000x warp while already going 10x faster than light.

Interesting observations.  Regarding B.  I've not run into that.  In addition to shutting down the engine, are you also disabling main power?  Shutting down the engine is a 2 stage process.

5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Thank you :)

Guess I could roll that into the second half of point A, complexity for complexity's sake.

No,... not for complexitys sake...

You have the option to only shut the engine down and leave the powergeneration online. This is good to have that flexibility. But i would not recommend it, since this way of powergeneration eats graviolium. For that reason my Warpship carries a separate powersource, that I power up, once I arrive at my destination, so that I can safely disable the whole warpreactor including the powergeneration. 

I'd recommend one of the nice near future mod - reactors to keep the scifi-feel to it. They have also limited ressources (uranium), but will last for years.

Actiongroups for the sustainers would be nice....

Edited by Rakete

6 minutes ago, Rakete said:
5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Thank you :)

Guess I could roll that into the second half of point A, complexity for complexity's sake.

No,... not for complexitys sake...

You have the option to only shut the engine down and leave the powergeneration online. This is good to have that flexibility. But i would not recommend it, since this way of powergeneration eats graviolium. For that reason my Warpship carries a separate powersource, that I power up, once I arrive at my destination, so that I can safely disable the whole warpreactor including the powergeneration. 

I'd recommend one of the nice near future mod - reactors to keep the scifi-feel to it. They have also limited ressources (uranium), but will last for years.

I just don't see why this is necessary. There's many better ways to generate power as you said, and having to go through a two-step process to prevent graviolium consumption just feels obtuse.

If enabling and disabling the generator was automatic and required a manual button press to remain on even when the warp drive is off, I wouldn't mind this so much. But right now it's just an extra step you don't realise you had to complete until it's already gotten you stranded light years from home.

8 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Actiongroups for the sustainers would be nice....

Indeed. It'd be nice if I didn't have to activate them at all - they should just work passively, else it's extra clicks for 0 additional gameplay.

9 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It'd be nice if I didn't have to activate them at all

Maybe you want to shut them down to reduce the overwhelming power of your vessel (made for interstellar flight) to be able to cruise smoothly through the destination star system.... i think, thats the reason - to give you all the flexibility you might need.

9 minutes ago, Rakete said:
22 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It'd be nice if I didn't have to activate them at all

Maybe you want to shut them down to reduce the overwhelming power of your vessel (made for interstellar flight) to be able to cruise smoothly through the destination star system.... i think, thats the reason - to give you all the flexibility you might need.

In my experience, doing this just leaves the main drive unable to move the ship. Nevertheless, I still think things can be done to make the drive less of a hassle to use.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

In my experience, doing this just leaves the main drive unable to move the ship. Nevertheless, I still think things can be done to make the drive less of a hassle to use.

The power of actionsgroups would be nice. I love to automize things.

Edited by Rakete

14 minutes ago, Rakete said:
16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The power of actionsgroups would be nice. I love to automize things.

So I don't have to manually bind 60 sustainers, it'd be nice if there was a keybind to do this automatically, and another that shuts everything off blueshift-related. Anything to cut the amount of clicks I have to do to turn something off.

14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

So I don't have to manually bind 60 sustainers, it'd be nice if there was a keybind to do this automatically, and another that shuts everything off blueshift-related. Anything to cut the amount of clicks I have to do to turn something off.

60 sustainers?  Could you show a pic of this ship?  The graviolium capacity must rival oceans.

An observation about the warp engine is that after first use, if you shut it down and go away and then come back later, it will turn on and burn graviolium equivalent to the game time since you were last there.  I've found it important to switch to something else, then back to the warp ship and shut the engine back down.  After that - it's just fine.

Has anyone else encountered this?

9 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

An observation about the warp engine is that after first use, if you shut it down and go away and then come back later, it will turn on and burn graviolium equivalent to the game time since you were last there.  I've found it important to switch to something else, then back to the warp ship and shut the engine back down.  After that - it's just fine.

Sounds like a typical stock-ksp-bug. I have this on my sstos with rapiers and nervas.... i shut them all down via actiongroups before I dock to a space station. If I leave the scene and come back either the nervas, or the rapiers or both types are back turned on, while docked. Drives me crazy sometimes. Maybe the same issue. In my case it didn't hurt because they used no fuel with throttle = 0. 

If it is not the same thing, maybe @Angel-125 could have a look at it? So yes, i also switch back and forth to ensure the reactor is offline and doesn't burn graviolium. Hotfix possible?

If it is a global KSP-issue, maybe it's a topic for @Gotmachine or @NathanKell from the KSPCF-Team.

Edited by Rakete

7 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Yes. Having the same problem. But the engine doesn't consume graviolium itself, the gravitic generator does. And the generator starts automatically when the engine is on since Blueshift v1.6.1:

On 9/28/2021 at 1:35 AM, Angel-125 said:

- For lazy players: If a warp engine has power converters built in, then when you start the engine, the converters will also be automatically started as well.

The possible solution is to make this thing optional since usually there is more than one generator and automatic switching of one of them creates a mess: when using the Action Group to toggle generators some generators switch on when the ones that were already toggled automatically, shut down.