With KSP 1.11 around the corner, will KIS/KAS still be worth using?

Minmus Taster

Not all of KIS/KAS is being replicated in the stock game- being able to attach parts between different crafts for example- so while the stock system seems to be more generous in terms of weight capacity (affected by gravity where KAS/KAS is not) there are still some things that the mods will be useful for; fuel lines, winches and tow bars are all pretty useful but won’t be possible using the stock system.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Look at today's  update.  Attachment is in 1.11

I did and I still stand by my words. it's KIS that provides all tools, and core mechanics. KAS, as I read from the mod thread, adds only various methods of connecting vessels (or parts of the same vessel) together. Which, technically, we partially had long ago (fuel lines and struts), now to be used with new addition.

I do think we'll see quite a bit of KIS/KAS obsoleted by being duplicated. But since I've long considered both mods to be absolutely essential to gameplay, I'm not in the least bit disappointed. Same thoughts apply to Procedural Fairings, which have now been in the base game so long I can hardly remember the years I played without them.

Personally I'll still use both KIS and KAS for as long as they continue to work. Hopefully we'll see things like the drill and wrench be adapted to use the stock inventory system.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

7 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Hopefully we'll see things like the drill and wrench be adapted to use the stock inventory system.

I personally prefer click-and-move from the stock than drag-and-drop from KIS

But we will see in the upcoming months.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lewie said:

KIS/KAS are soooooo handy for refueling craft. They’re a must-use for bases. 

I much prefer Simple Logistics, far less prone to glitching your bases into many pieces escaping the solar system because a connector was undocked or a single part got removed from another part of the base.

KAS has a lot of useful parts besides the hoses, but most of what KIS does is now replicated by the stock system; however the KIS inventory parts themselves could be useful if they supported the stock inventory system as there are a variety of shapes and sizes to choose from. I also like the KIS ability to have a Kerbal carry a box around with BG deployable experiments, instead of going back and forth to the ship each time.

8 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I much prefer Simple Logistics, far less prone to glitching your bases into many pieces

Really? I’ve never heard of it. I’ve never had a problem with my bases/stations/rockets spazzing though.....otherwise I’d give it a shot.

It appears that KIS items (tow bars, sockets, etc.), or anything non-stock (such as Surface Mounted Light) can't be put into the stock containers, and the stock items  (lights, ladders, etc.) can't be put into KIS containers.  And it looks like you can no longer equip Engineers with the KAS/ KIS Electric Screwdriver ... I can put it in my kerbal's inventory and carry it around, but the 'Equip' option is no longer available? 

Seems a bit unreasonable to have to carry two different types of containers. Or am I missing a setting or something, or doing something wrong?

Edited by maddog59

3 hours ago, maddog59 said:

It appears that KIS items (tow bars, sockets, etc.), or anything non-stock (such as Surface Mounted Light) can't be put into the stock containers, and the stock items  (lights, ladders, etc.) can't be put into KIS containers.  And it looks like you can no longer equip Engineers with the KAS/ KIS Electric Screwdriver ... I can put it in my kerbal's inventory and carry it around, but the 'Equip' option is no longer available? 

Seems a bit unreasonable to have to carry two different types of containers. Or am I missing a setting or something, or doing something wrong?

I think it would be best if 1. KAS was made stock-system compatible, with the functions still the same (for example links between 2 or more crafts, which is impossible in the S-system) but the parts beeing able to be placed into the S-system containers. 2. KIS was an expansion to the S-system: The kis containers would be just configured to holf S-system stuff, the screwdriver and stuff (also stuff like the US2 extender backpack) should be made into S-system parts, the wielding laser should be ''removed'' so the screwdriver and the other one have a use. There should still be an option to place the ground foundation/anchor on the ground and demolish stuff with the explosive. Overall KIS would be nice as an ''stock-extension''(lol a mod), of course IMO

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Is it possible to use struts in EVA?

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

in the S-system yes, but you can't connect different crafts

I don't know if it works in KIS

Yes, you can use struts and fuel lines in the stock system, but you can't in KIS.

35 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yes, you can use struts and fuel lines in the stock system, but you can't in KIS.

you can't connect 2 different crafts with struts in the S-system, but you can use KAS for connection of 2 crafts in KIS

16 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

you can't connect 2 different crafts with struts in the S-system, but you can use KAS for connection of 2 crafts in KIS

Yes, but using KAS you need to have a KAS strut on one craft and a socket on the other, so it does require a bit of foresight to be able to attach two of your craft together.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

52 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yes, but using KAS you need to have a KAS strut on one craft and a socket on the other, so it does require a bit of foresight to be able to attach two of your craft together.

also you can use hoses and those rigid thingies and stuff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.