What's the best movie series? (dont get me wrong im in the lounge section)

Max von Kerman

lol i just wanna ask because google cant help me with that.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. which movie series is better

• Harry Potter
    • Lord of the rings
    • Marvel
    • The avengers
    • Hunger games
    • Other (reply below)

Even though I am not into any superhero type stuff, I still really like the Avenger/Marvel movies (They are good. Obviously, if they were bad I would not like them!). My favorite TV shows, however, include Futurama, The Venture Brothers and The Simpsons.

When I was out drinking with my friends in Houston back in January we got into the "best movies of all time" discussion with a bartender. It's a tough decision, to be honest. If you really want to nail it down to the best movie of all time, I think I have to go with The Godfather. But if you want to expand it out to a trilogy, then it gets thrown out because, well, The Godfather III (enough said). My favorite movie of all time (notice the difference there, favorite vs best) is Star Trek II: TWOK. But if you expand that out to a trilogy, Star Trek: The Motion Sickness comes into view and you're back at square one. A lot of people will say Star Wars, but I have to be honest: As much as they are a cultural phenomena, more so than just about any other films, the quality is just not there to call them, "Best of All Time". I think The Infinity Saga (the Marvel movies up to Endgame) was an amazing storytelling achievement, but I still wouldn't call them the best. I think if I had to pick a trilogy that had the most consistent quality of film making from beginning to end I would have to go with Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. They are, for me, the standard by which all other superhero films are measured.

Television series? For quality of characterization and storytelling it is really hard to beat Lost. We've been watching it over again with our kids, and I am still just amazed at how good it is, even the second time around. We'll be watching an episode in season two or three, and I'll lean over to my wife and quote a line related to it from an episode in season five or six, and she's all, "Oh. My. Goodness." Because she's forgotten just how tight and integrated the whole story was. Just amazing what can be accomplished when you have storytellers who know what they are doing who are given the freedom to do what they want. Babylon 5 is right up there with it, for much the same reasons. But I think Lost wins by a nose, simply because it has more polish, and the characters have a little more depth.

Mentioning the StarWars franchise, we should not forget its Aaryamaan extension.

Maybe it looks naive and not so fancy, but being compared to other parts of SW, it significantly expands our notions and understanding of its whole universe, and helps to feel the real nature of the StarWars without the fake glamour and sfx shaders.

Imho, Lexx is one of the greatest franchises ever filmed, but it's definitely not for romantic youth, but for cynical adult aged trolls.

Edited by kerbiloid

Of the options on the list, LOTR was my favourite. More generally...?

Bill & Ted, dude!

Because sometimes you just need some charming, daffy, feel-good fun.  Where the world can be fixed with good intentions, rock and roll, and air guitar.

other, definitely other. 

alien franchise.

terminator franchise.

any movies about the vietnam war. 

mad max 

the godfather

dirty harry

death wish

even numbered star trek movies up to and including first contact

george romero zombie films

coffin joe movies

2001/2010

and of course the planet of the apes (not the remakes). 

Edited by Nuke

16 hours ago, Max von Kerman said:

SERIOUSLY?!?! GOOGLE IS SO MISLEADING! EVERYTHING SAID HAT HARRY POTTER IS THE BEST BUT HERE IM THE ONLY ONEWHO LIKES IT!

The Algorithm has terrible taste in movies.... ;)

star wars (legends), I only like season 7 clone wars, the mandalorian, rouge one and some other stuff from canon, I hate/dislike/not a fan of the most stuff like 7,8,9

I love legends

and 456

and 3 (I found 1 ok and while I dislike many scenes of 2 it still gave us stuff like jango fett and dexter jettser x)

my personal movie list: (the lower the better IMO)

8, 9, 7, Solo,  2, 1, 5, 4, 6, 3, Rouge One

23 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

And no, I won't name names.

Rey Kerman?

oh and I also enjoyed LOTR, it was good, but star wars is still my favourite, after all, my forum name is star wars inspired xD

The Avengers is part of Marvel. "Marvel" technically is more broad as it includes non MCU films as well.

There's also a significant amount of other series missing, and the term "best" could mean many different things. 

For example, the longest running, most successful film series hasn't been mentioned yet. James Bond. I personally don't like Bond much, but few franchises have lasted over 50 years with multiple actors taking over the mantle of the same character with multiple successes (and failures) with tremendous cultural impact. 

Then there's something like Star Wars which is a juggernaut because its sells so much darn stuff beyond film tickets

At this point "other" wins because there are too many options not listed haha.

None. Some have a couple good movies, others only have 1 in the series that is decent.

Once it gets to TV, they are tons of choices these days.

I suppose in the above list I should have picked Harry Potter—since I never read them, I thought the movies did a reasonable job. I started reading the first one to my son when he was little, but he kept falling asleep at the same place, and I didn't feel like reading it twice so left it by his bed, then he started reading it himself and promptly read all of them straight through.

LOTR was visually nearly perfect (loads of nits to pic, but general feel excellent), but I hated the movies because they took agency from the protagonists... and no scouring. Really? (I guess it goes with making the movie about "not Hobbits," but still).

﴾ ͠° ͟ʖ °﴿

Google sucks.

|__________/
               |  |
               |_|

too misleading

current statistics:

Harry Potter--1
Lord of the rings--1
Marvel--1
The avengers---1
Godzilla--1
Dark Knight trilogy--1
Star wars--4
Bill and Ted-1
Xena--1
Back to the future--1
Ash vs Evil Dead--1
Juraassic Park--1
mitchells VS the machines--1
Firefly--1

34 minutes ago, Max von Kerman said:

﴾ ͠° ͟ʖ °﴿

Google sucks.

|__________/
               |  |
               |_|

too misleading

current statistics:

Harry Potter--1
Lord of the rings--1
Marvel--1
The avengers---1
Godzilla--1
Dark Knight trilogy--1
Star wars--4
Bill and Ted-1
Xena--1
Back to the future--1
Ash vs Evil Dead--1
Juraassic Park--1
mitchells VS the machines--1
Firefly--1

There's no accounting for taste.

5 hours ago, tater said:

but I hated the movies because they took agency from the protagonists... and no scouring. Really? (I guess it goes with making the movie about "not Hobbits," but still).

+1

Requesting Game of Thrones from eyes of Rorge and Biter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.