What will you do for your first ksp2 mission

Well, I think that you won’t be able to build a massive mothership if your VAB isn’t big enough, but if you use torch drive technology you could go interplanetary on the first launch in KSP2. Personally the reason I won’t be doing that is because I want to discover things slowly through progression. 

If KSP2 allows such things as contracts and agencies, I'll try to figure out how to add the personalized agencies I made for KSP1. Then start Discovery mode and do whatever contract comes first!

Probably won't go for sandbox for a while, so I can find out the new stuff bit by bit.

Spend 100 - 200 hours building vehicles,  boats, submarines, airplanes, helicopters, quadcopters, jets, before I leave the atmosphere.

Making sure I don't pass more than one speed, or height "achievement" (same as KSP1, even if I hope they add real ones also)  per flight.

Carefully unlocking new parts in my career mode.

Honestly, depends. If there are some very interesting twists with what sort of stock stuff we get, especially if there are more intricate robotics parts or better yet, *gasp* circuits or something, then I'll probably hop into sandbox and make some sort of monstrosity.

Otherwise, I'll probably jump into career mode, and my first mission will be exceptionally unexceptional. I do hope that the improvements in career/progression are going to be made such that it's not just, "Sit in a pod, collect science."

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Lol, you can't draw people from being able to embark on whatever missions they want whenever they want

Of course you can. I think an adventure mode with solid mechanics and pacing could have 90% of players using it 90% of the time. 

Take a game like Cities Skylines, and imagine if it only had a sandbox mode. You had unlimited money, no buildings were locked, and you could just build away as a purely cosmetic exercise. It would be fun, but not nearly as fun or as satisfying as noodling through the challenge of building something that actually all works. Building all that stuff up and earning new things is half the fun. This is true for most any good game that exists. Now, you’ll say “but Kerbal is different!” but the only reason it is different is that KSP1s career mode, sad to say, just isn’t that good. It would be like if getting money and earning new buildings in Skylines was so tedious that most people said screw it and put in cheat codes so they could get on with it. 

My hope is that KSP2 is just much better on this front. I hope half the fun is building up bigger and more complex colonies that help you develop new technologies and make exotic new fuels and all synergize with supply routes to mining and science outposts. I hope getting your first fusion reactor and building up an infrastructure for producing MH and getting raw materials up to an orbiting station to build an interstellar colony ship feel like epic achievements. Sure you can just skip all that right to a one-off Antimatter flight from Kerbin’s VAB to Glumo so you can look at it and say “hey thats pretty.” There’s nothing wrong with that. But the experience could be so much more. 

15 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Take a game like Cities Skylines, and imagine if it only had a sandbox mode. You had unlimited money, no buildings were locked, and you could just build away as a purely cosmetic exercise. It would be fun, but not nearly as fun or as satisfying as noodling through the challenge of building something that actually all works.

In Cities Skylines you're not designing your own rockets that still have to work effectively with the goal at hand regardless if you're in sandbox or not. Ergo, the metaphor falls apart, what I said still holds true. Whatever Adventure mode holds, I still just want to follow my own narratives and do my own things.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

In Cities Skylines you're not designing your own rockets that still have to work effectively with the goal at hand regardless if you're in sandbox or not. Ergo, the metaphor falls apart, what I said still holds true. Whatever Adventure mode holds, I still just want to follow my own narratives and do my own things.

Okay, but you do have to make sure you’ve got enough water and power and that traffic is taken care of. Its just not as satisfying if you can skip right to fusion reactors and everything is free. The nice thing is that those bedrock fundamentals in KSP are much better than most games. If they can pull together some great dynamics for science and research and create a real reason to go to different planets there could be a great game loop. 

I agree with you about the ‘do what we want’ open world spirit though. I hope that even adventure mode lets us go wherever we want if we’ve got the tech to pull it off.

I was curious so I googled this. Seems like a decent sample size. 

aczzmj5uo8341.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Pthigrivi

8 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

He just said that if they improve the progresion system many more people will choose to play it instead of sandbox because it would be more fun for them, nobody is attacking you for playing sandbox .......

9 hours ago, gussi111 said:

He just said that if they improve the progresion system many more people will choose to play it instead of sandbox because it would be more fun for them, nobody is attacking you for playing sandbox .......

Kindly, please stop interpreting my messages in the worst way possible.

17 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I was curious so I googled this. Seems like a decent sample size. 

Thank you!

@Bej Kerman And yeah I hope you don’t interpret my comments as criticism of people who play sandbox. Im in a sandbox save right now because I want to mess around with SSPXR and far-future stuff before KSP2 comes out. I totally get it. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

33 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

That's how you sounded regardless.

Tone is hard to decipher in text a lot of the time, especially for people with a very straight-forward, matter-of-fact way of writing. I don't think they meant anything by it.