Lego Thread!

Kerb24

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I don't want this.

But I also don't want to not have all the NASA sets.

Tell you what, Lego. When SLS actually starts flying people to the Moon, I'll buy your set.

3 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

Anyone know if the SLS is at the same scale as the Saturn V? I'm going to get it either way.

It’s not. It’s smaller. Saturn V is about 1:110, and SLS is 1:160 I think.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2024 at 1:05 AM, DDE said:

jqicGFWMLGU.jpg?size=1178x1357&quality=9

It would be very interesting to find out when this change took place, and why.

I also wonder if it actually happened at all. The three things shown in that picture, Legos, what looks like a mobile suit type plastic model, and an action figure, are questionable as toys. Lego could pass as an artistic form of plastic model (indeed when I restarted buying Lego Star Wars, initially I justified it due to a “lack of plastic models about Star Wars” because I was still felt I needed to be publicly beholden to the popular complex that Legos are for kids), while plastic models are made by people of all ages and the action figures adults often buy are so detailed and expensive it’s questionable if they are toys or just premade models.

In addition, even if the product is also played with by children, it doesn’t mean adults can’t do it too. No one talks about the NBA as “adults playing a schoolyard pastime and people cheering them like little kids at an afterschool match.”

I’d also be interested if there is any parallel between the rise of toy purchases from adults and the “de-nerdification”/main-streamization of comic book stories. I first heard of that particular phenomena in regards to the popularity of the MCU but maybe it goes as far back as the Nolan Batman trilogy.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:28 AM, Nuke said:

i still have my lego but i cant exactly crawl on the floor and dig for parts like i did when i was 12.

This isn't my picture, but we had two of these tables when I was a kid.  We called it a "dump table"... and it turns out that's the actual name for it.

237-dt3305_alt_l.jpg

would work if this apartment wasnt small, where everything is tight and needs to accommidate a wheel chair user. we cant even get a couch in here. i could set something up in my room but id have to give up my electronics workbench.

Edited by Nuke

On 6/17/2024 at 2:37 AM, SunlitZelkova said:

It would be very interesting to find out when this change took place, and why.

It's probably because they have way cooler stuff out now than when I was a kid. When I was younger, the Lego packs didn't even have wheels, wings, or mini-figs! Now, there are all kinds of shapes, sizes, and sorts of Lego bricks out there. Even Star Wars-themed Lego sets! I cannot even imagine what my room would have looked like had they had those when I was 7 or 8 years old!

On 6/18/2024 at 10:28 AM, Nuke said:

i still have my lego but i cant exactly crawl on the floor and dig for parts like i did when i was 12.

This here. I can get down to pick them up, but it's a little difficult. It's the dining room table for me most of the time.

• 1 month later...

Soon Ill be adding to my NASA Lego collection with the Artemis set. I have the Saturn V, 2 Apollo 11 Lunar Module sets, The ISS, and Shuttle Discovery. Im looking forward to adding it to my collection. I may catalogue the parts for the pad itself and scale up to build a pad for the Saturn V.

As a few of you know I have moved recently (therefore my Legos are in storage) but I am working on collecting all of the space sets. I'm saving up for the lunar rover, Discovery shuttle, and SLS. If I work through all of those I'm keeping my eye on the Concord.

I used the older LEGO City Mars Sets, specifically the shuttle and rocket, and made my own shuttle-booster amalgamation.

UoOZazW.jpg

Looking at it, I don’t think it would actually fly all too well, but it’s still kinda cool looking nonetheless.

I also touched the LEGO VAB I made last year. I added some details to the roof, moved the side hangar to the other side, and fixed up that odd looking rocket. I think it looks a little better now.

BxuQ9O2.jpg

ujYs62G.jpg

On 8/25/2024 at 12:50 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

SNIP

That is so cool! I have the same sets, I want to try that as soon as I can.

For the same launch vehicle (the SLS looking one) I turned the capsule into an adapter for the Utility Shuttle from 2015. It looks kind of like Dyna-Soar.

I have the full space shuttle from the 2015 line of space sets as well, and I made extensive modifications to the orbiter to look more accurate. The entire bottom is now black, unlike the patchy grey-black it used to be, and the entire vertical stabilizer has been replaced with a custom design. I also made the entire payload bay interior larger, which involved taking the model apart and putting it back together again.