The Lounge's "Random Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread" Thread

JoeSchmuckatelli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_Vaucluse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Orange

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Orange

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

https://www.englishclub.com/efl/podcasts/interesting-facts/orange-colour-fruit-first/#:~:text=The word “orange” was used,that translates to yellow-red.

The word “orange” was used to describe the fruit before the colour. The word “naranja” was taken from a Sanskrit word meaning orange tree. The Spanish used this word and the English adapted it. The word “geoluhread” is an Old English word that translates to yellow-red.

So, the tree from India was probably imported via Netherlands into Britain, and became a symbol of loyalist otherness.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this question is for Jeep owners/fans, in particular owners/fans of this:

1.jpg

Ok. This thing is just bad. It is a vehicle trying to pretend its a truck (its built on the Ram frame) that is trying to be a Jeep. A Jeep (Rubicon or Wrangler as examples) is supposed to be a compact and capable off road vehicle. A truck on the other hand is supposed to provide the ability to haul significant weight or otherwise large objects in the bed as well as be a vehicle capable of towing significant weight on a trailer behind it. This monstrosity whilst built on a frame that ostensibly when built into a proper TRUCK such as an actual RAM with a full sized bed can ostensibly function as a truck is meant to. However this thing is as long as a full sized truck rendering COMPACT off road vehicle laughably irrelevant as its no longer compact. Its size reduces off road capability with no gain. It has a bed of a COMPACT truck which removes functionality of a real truck. I doubt the transmission and power plant could safely tow anything.

SO what exactly is the appeal here? You want a Jeep? Buy a real Jeep. You want a truck? Buy a real truck. Jack of pretend trades failer of all this thing is.

not saying dont like it if you do, you do you. I frankly fail to see practicality or merit in thing and want clarity is all.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, AlamoVampire said:

failer of all

That reminds me of the H2 Hummer when it came out. 

I grew up doing real 4-wheeling with guys who had Jeeps, 70s Blazers, 70s Land Cruisers etc. And when I first saw the HMMWV I was amazed.  Its ground clearance and off road abilities were epic. 

It was also cramped and uncomfortable.  Resolved to buy an  H2 when I heard they were coming out with one - figured it would be Hummer performance with a comfortable interior. 

Nope. 

It was just 'styled' like a Hummer and buit on a pickup frame - same suspension and everything. 

Color me liquided.  The whole point of the Hummer was its epic running gear. The H2 was just hot garbage. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Apostrophe... Catastrophe

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

There is only 1 TRUE Hummer. The H1 Alpha, military surplus hummers. H2 and beyond are as you say: hot garbage. Same as the gladiator. Hot garbage. Still fail to see the appeal of it or use it has.

@kerbiloid you may find this interesting:

The Hummer traces its roots to 1983, when AM General, a heavy vehicle manufacturer, received $1 billion from the Pentagon to build the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (Humvee). The Humvee became a staple of the U.S. military, and by 1991, 72,000 had been produced.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:04 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Ok this question is for Jeep owners/fans, in particular owners/fans of this:

1.jpg

Ok. This thing is just bad. It is a vehicle trying to pretend its a truck (its built on the Ram frame) that is trying to be a Jeep. A Jeep (Rubicon or Wrangler as examples) is supposed to be a compact and capable off road vehicle. A truck on the other hand is supposed to provide the ability to haul significant weight or otherwise large objects in the bed as well as be a vehicle capable of towing significant weight on a trailer behind it. This monstrosity whilst built on a frame that ostensibly when built into a proper TRUCK such as an actual RAM with a full sized bed can ostensibly function as a truck is meant to. However this thing is as long as a full sized truck rendering COMPACT off road vehicle laughably irrelevant as its no longer compact. Its size reduces off road capability with no gain. It has a bed of a COMPACT truck which removes functionality of a real truck. I doubt the transmission and power plant could safely tow anything.

SO what exactly is the appeal here? You want a Jeep? Buy a real Jeep. You want a truck? Buy a real truck. Jack of pretend trades failer of all this thing is.

not saying dont like it if you do, you do you. I frankly fail to see practicality or merit in thing and want clarity is all.

Oh, well, you'll love this story then:

Jeep Gladiator Driver Voids Warranty For Driving In The Mud

I remember the one time the family and I were off-roading out in Death Valley. We were driving into Stella's Place in King Taco to set up camp for the night, and there was a group of three Wranglers driving out at the same time. So we pulled up alongside the lead Jeep to say hi. They were all tricked out, none of them seemed to be more than a couple of years old. They were visiting from the Bay area, they had driven up Goler Wash from Ballarat that morning and now they were headed down to Furnace Creek to spend the night at the Inn. I told them we were going to spend the night here at Stella's and then drive down Goler Wash the next morning, and the driver suddenly got very concerned, "You're going to drive down Goler Wash in that?" I LOLed. "Well, I've driven this down Goler Wash three times before, and up it twice. So, yeah, I think we'll be fine." Jeep owners, SMH.

@TheSaint curious what you were driving. Also the gladiator is NOT one of the most capable off road vehicles. The fact its a cosplaying truck shows that, the fact MUD destroyed one AND that MUD KILLED the warranty proves it beyond and shadow of any semblance of any hint of any indication of any sub atomic particle of doubt…

8 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@TheSaint curious what you were driving. Also the gladiator is NOT one of the most capable off road vehicles. The fact its a cosplaying truck shows that, the fact MUD destroyed one AND that MUD KILLED the warranty proves it beyond and shadow of any semblance of any hint of any indication of any sub atomic particle of doubt…

vwQEcCrh.jpg

There we are at Stella's Place, oddly enough.

New question: why do fast food workers when taking your order in say the drive thru (just happened to me) automatically assume youre ordering a combo even if you never say “combo x y or z”? Take my order for example, right now this particular place has for a limited time the BLT. I get to the order box thingy and the employee keys their mic to greet me and offer up a pre-scripted item. I decline that item and simply and clearly say:  

me: “Can I get an untoasted BLT please.”

employee: BLT?

me: yes, untoasted.

employee: and the drink?

me: <internally what is wrong with you?> <externally> : Just the BLT untoasted.

employee: BLT untoasted, thatll be $X.XX at the second window.

now, am i just dumb or are fast food employees conditioned/programmed to make everything a combo? This isnt a one off event either, it keeps happening. Im very explicit in what i want and how i want it and am precise in my choice of words. So why do they keep trying to combo things even when no combo is ever asked for?

It's conditioning, because most people do want the combo. 

You stand in a spot, listen to people say the same things over and over for hours, and automatic mode kicks in and you start punching the buttons while putting as little thought into it as possible.  Not to mention there may be other things going on, especially when it's busy.  When I worked the window, I also had to make sure the cooks were cooking what we needed, side items were prepped, keep an eye on the front counter, make sure the lobby was kept up, handle customer complaints, talk to one customer at the window and one on the speaker, count change,  keep 4 or more different orders straight so I could verify my packer was doing it correctly, and make sure the order I was handing out the window was the right one.  While filling drinks, too.

Edit:
Further, corporate probably has an order to try and upsell whenever possible.

Edited by razark

@razark i appreciate your reply, i also appreciate the chaos and torment that gets shoved into their laps/hands but even with what ive been taught in culinary school and hospitality management training it kinda frightens me that key words are either not heard by employees or outright assumed to be implied. While in my case its just a frustration to never say combo (fwiw i dont get them because dr pepper is too easy to screw up when mixing syrup bags and carbonated water and line mixups between syrup storage and the fountain) but its the instances of possible allergen screw ups that terrify me. That kind of autopilot and/or sensory overload you describe is a bad mix.

6 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

what ive been taught in culinary school and hospitality management training

I can guarantee 99% of the people that work at the local fast food drive through have never had such training. :D

7 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

That kind of autopilot and/or sensory overload you describe is a bad mix.

I can't argue with you there, but that's the nature of the job.  You're dealing with a mix of teenagers with no experience and older folks that couldn't find better, getting paid minimum wage or slightly above.  They just want to get through the shift and get out of there.  They're not invested in the job beyond not getting someone mad enough to get fired, and being nicer or more attentive than they have to be isn't going to get them any tips.  You're just one more person, and the odd one at that, so if they can get through the rest of the customers and only annoy you, then it works out for them.

Should it be this way?  Probably not.  But until you change the industry enough to make it worth their time to care, it's not going to change.

13 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

dr pepper is...

An abomination of carbonated prune juice that mankind was never meant to know.

BTW- My youngest has a nut and seafood allergy, so I totally get the issue there.

22 minutes ago, razark said:

An abomination of carbonated prune juice that mankind was never meant to know.

Ahem: 

hehe

i was (until covid made getting recertified hard) a certified food safety manager (a step or so below food health inspector) so between that and hospitality mgmt certification im a disturbingly well informed customer. Youre right that they (well most) deeply invested in just getting done with that shift. 

as to allergies ive been fortunate to only have seasonal allergies. I never want to see apathy/disinterest hurt a customer. If people would actually get paid a LIVING wage and not just enough to avoid legal minimums things would likely improve

cant imagine how scary that can be for the little one

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 7/31/2023 at 4:22 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I grew up doing real 4-wheeling with guys who had Jeeps, 70s Blazers, 70s Land Cruisers etc. And when I first saw the HMMWV I was amazed.  Its ground clearance and off road abilities were epic. 

It was also cramped and uncomfortable.  Resolved to buy an  H2 when I heard they were coming out with one - figured it would be Hummer performance with a comfortable interior. 

Nope. 

It was just 'styled' like a Hummer and buit on a pickup frame - same suspension and everything. 

Color me liquided.  The whole point of the Hummer was its epic running gear. The H2 was just hot garbage. 

Now that the H2 hummer is not based on the same frame as the original sounds weird. Yes I get if they used another engine because civilian and military requirement are different. But excepted frame to be the same. 

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now that the H2 hummer is not based on the same frame as the original sounds weird. Yes I get if they used another engine because civilian and military requirement are different. But excepted frame to be the same. 

There needs to be a word for the emotion that is a mixture of both astounded and offended. 

The centerline clearance is a key feature

a-front-view-of-a-us-army-m998-high-mobi

The H2's light truck problem shown here:

2008_hummer_h2_angularrear.jpg

The Humvee is undoubtedly the beefier vehicle. It can clear higher rocks (16 inches versus 10) and drive through deeper water (60 inches versus 20). 

(Popular  Science) 

Hummer can climb a 70 degree slope.  H2 had a 40 degree approach angle (not bad, but not HummVee).   Although, there is this:

Torque! 

Haven't read much about it... But there is apparently an EV variant 

I have this graph

y= 20 sin (t)

t = 1/sqrt(x)

Over time it increases the period of the graph. However, as x approaches 0, the period exponentially gets smaller, becoming a fat blob on desmos. 

The question is, how do I move it along the x-axis so that the denser blob is in the negatives?

EDIT:

Not even 5 mins, I figure it out. You shift the square root so it CAN equal a negative (something like sqrt(x)+10. Its like moving any graph...

Cant believe I didn't think of this earlier

Edited by Superluminal Gremlin

• 3 weeks later...

to vehicle or not to vehicle. i have an opportunity to buy a minivan from the neighbor 2 doors down for $500 smackers. ive never owned a vehicle nor have i a license. let alone im probibly gonna have to spend another $200 on a title and who knows how much for insurance. i think i may be too stupid for vehicle ownership. 

On 8/22/2023 at 8:39 PM, Nuke said:

to vehicle or not to vehicle. i have an opportunity to buy a minivan from the neighbor 2 doors down for $500 smackers. ive never owned a vehicle nor have i a license. let alone im probibly gonna have to spend another $200 on a title and who knows how much for insurance. i think i may be too stupid for vehicle ownership. 

I bought a $600 car in '87.  It was fine.  Well, after I tore it apart, bondo'd it and painted it. 

' course I had all the tools and know how for working on a '77 Chevy Malibu Classic Station Wagon with 118,000 miles on it. 

Also it was a California desert car - so not a lot of salt rust etc. 

But an Alaska van?  You just looking for a shed? 

9 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I bought a $600 car in '87.  It was fine.  Well, after I tore it apart, bondo'd it and painted it. 

' course I had all the tools and know how for working on a '77 Chevy Malibu Classic Station Wagon with 118,000 miles on it. 

Also it was a California desert car - so not a lot of salt rust etc. 

But an Alaska van?  You just looking for a shed? 

its something to live in when mom keels over and my caregiver gig ends. sure as hell beats plan b.

Edited by Nuke

As it's widely known from movies, the robbing of Medieval England was an important part of Scandinavian life in the Viking Age.

Itself, their practice is understandable and maybe praiseworthy, but what's the economical base of it?

https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/how-long-did-it-take-the-vikings-to-sail-to-england#:~:text=The Vikings' homeland was Scandinavia,average speed of 8 knots.

The Vikings' homeland was Scandinavia in what is today Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. To sail to England or northern Britain in particular, it would take The Vikings about 3 to 6 days in good and favorable conditions at an average speed of 8 knots. But in foul weather, the Vikings could delay their departure, run ahead of the storm, or travel at an average speed of 3 knots with numerous stops, which would then mean that they would even take eight weeks if a serious storm blew up.

Let's take the Skuldelev ships as typical examples of the viking ships.

As we can see, Skuldelev 1..3 are sailships with tiny crews, and while their capacity looks enough large, unlikely they can follow the oarships with fighters.
(At least because the very first storm or strong wind would separate them).

Also we can see here that their total capacity is about a half of their total water displacement.
Let's use that for the oarships, too.

Skuldelev 5 is an oarship of 7.8 t of water displacement (so, about 4 t of total capacity), with 26 oars, thus ~30 men onboard, but also it's said about 41.

One man with weapon is, say, 100 kg heavy. I.e. it's 3..4 t.

The travel lasts for a week, and a man eats ~0.5 kg and drinks ~2+ kg of water per day. Probably more, as they are working hard with oars.
So, it's 20 kg of supplies to there, and something like that more if they fail but survive.

And as they need 2 liters of water daily anyway, it doesn't play a role if they are trying to save food.
So, they need 1.5 .. 3 t of supplies.

So, let's imagine that they take a supply sailship of 20 t displacement and 10 t capacity, and a crew of 5..8.
They have just ~6 t for loot even in this case.

Okay, they have robbed the England (again), took the loot and are on the way to home.

They have ~6 t of loot per ~50 persons.
I.e. ~120 kg of loot per everyone, once per year or more rarely.

120 kg of WUT can worth the risk and the efforts???
It's just two sacks of turnip and dried fish.
It's 120 daily portions of food. A lonely viking can survive the winter by eating this, but he could grow it himself more easily.

Or the slaves. Say, a slave together with weekly water supply weights in total ~80 kg.
This means that a viking can take one slave and a small bag of turnip, then feed all the turnip to the slave to let it work (and eat the viking's bread instead of the viking).

Of course, there is always the hospitable Lindisfarne monastery, with gold and other.
But it needs decades to recharge the treasury after the previous viking visit. So, it's an occasional jackpot but not a regularly planned option.

And, I have to remind, here we presumed that the drakkar is followed by a suply knarr, what is unlikely possible.

So.
What could the vikings be regularly robbing in England, when their longships hardly contain even the crew itself, with water supplies , let alone any loot?

(How many times per life had an English peasant seen the gold? And his rural senior as well.)

Edited by kerbiloid