Don’t use any of the major suggestions

Well…. Errr… ummmm… we’re waiting on the release of KSP2 first.    And the more ideas than the dev team hears about, the more cool things will eventually be added to the game.    They know what they’re doing and won’t add more feature creep than they can handle.   

16 hours ago, Atlas 0187 said:

We already have all the features we need, asking for more will delay the release and make KSP 3 more boring. We do want to have this exciting waiting experience again, don’t we?

Firstly, KSP 2 has a semi-locked in stone Early Access Release date. KSP 2 is coming out. February 24th, 2023.

Secondly, these are suggestions to the devs, they are not meant to be 'features' that the devs need to add.

Thirdly, a KSP 3 is highly unlikely. KSP 2 is really just a way to fix all the problems with KSP 1. With all the problems fixed from KSP 1, there will be no need for a KSP 3. KSP 2 could just be endlessly expanded upon with updates and DLC. 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Thirdly, a KSP 3 is highly unlikely. KSP 2 is really just a way to fix all the problems with KSP 1. With all the problems fixed from KSP 1, there will be no need for a KSP 3. KSP 2 could just be endlessly expanded upon with updates and DLC. 

Wasn't that already said for KSP? Seriously, KSP2 will, even if it fixes some of KSP1's problem, bring a bunch of new problems.

It seems really unlikely that devs will read these suggestion and go "that's such a great suggestion, let's delay the game for another year and implement it".

This being said this is probably not an optimal time to make suggestion since Early Access is quite close, which means a lot of systems are already designed but we weren't be able to test them yet. So we are pretty much in the dark. After Early Access goes out we can provide more targeted feedback. 

But it's still worthwhile even now - might inspire a mod down the road or something.

If KSP 2 is a success we'll get a KSP 3 at some point. At the latest when the graphics become very outdated.

Edited by MarcAbaddon

23 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Wasn't that already said for KSP? Seriously, KSP2 will, even if it fixes some of KSP1's problem, bring a bunch of new problems.

Yes, but unlike KSP 1, those bugs will be able to be fixed. KSP 1 has some unfixable bugs due to them being deep down in the code. KSP 2 serves to remedy that.

14 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Yes, but unlike KSP 1, those bugs will be able to be fixed. KSP 1 has some unfixable bugs due to them being deep down in the code. KSP 2 serves to remedy that.

That still seems wildly optimistic. There'll still be parts deep in the code that may have new bugs and maybe more importantly they still use Unity, so we'll likely still have bugs caused by the underlying engine instead of the game code added on top. A lot of the unfixable KSP 1 bugs are downstream bugs from Unity. 

9 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

That still seems wildly optimistic. There'll still be parts deep in the code that may have new bugs and maybe more importantly they still use Unity, so we'll likely still have bugs caused by the underlying engine instead of the game code added on top. A lot of the unfixable KSP 1 bugs are downstream bugs from Unity. 

True, but I'm optimistic that the KSP specific bugs will be very limited thanks to them knowing what they are doing this time around.

40 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

KSP1 was not made by professional game developers, it was started by a single hobbyist who never made a game and then picked up by programmers that never focused on games before. Meanwhile KSP2 is being developed by experienced game devs with organization and over a decade of hindsight to work with. KSP 2, as I understand it,  is also largely building its own engine along side unity and has goals of future compatibility and revision in mind.

Just saying...

Most games made by experienced game devs have lots of bugs too, and when relying heavily on physics simulations it is really difficult to avoid them completely. I am expecting it to have a lot less bugs, but it'll still have bugs. And if anything it is easier to introduce new bugs when not relying on a pre-made engine, the advantage is just that you can fix them more easily yourself.   

20 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

Most games made by experienced game devs have lots of bugs too, and when relying heavily on physics simulations it is really difficult to avoid them completely. I am expecting it to have a lot less bugs, but it'll still have bugs. And if anything it is easier to introduce new bugs when not relying on a pre-made engine, the advantage is just that you can fix them more easily yourself.   

Yes, but bugs made by experienced game devs don't typically become unfixable bugs. 

1 hour ago, MarcAbaddon said:

There will be plenty of bugs, but thats what those who get early access are for. Those bugs won't be made from an inane mess of code though and base system coding will probably much easier to update. I don't think there's a point in worrying about day 1 bugs, we all know they will exist, no game made in the last 20 yrs has released without them. What should be worried about is bugs in year 5 that have been there since day 1, and I hope that will not be the case in KSP 2.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, Atlas 0187 said:

We already have all the features we need, asking for more will delay the release and make KSP 3 more boring. We do want to have this exciting waiting experience again, don’t we?

KSP 3 won't exist until KSP 2 has become outdated enough, and even then there's not any ground it could tread without retreading things KSP 2 already covered; KSP 2 already borders on the edge of practical physics (e.g. Metallic Hydrogen engines, interstellar travel) and that's about as far as KSP could go without losing its identity to sci-fi.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Atlas 0187 said:

The community will likely tackle some of these minor requests. I doubt the dev's will be looking much into off-target features this close to launch. I bet it's a large bugfix push. 

On 11/22/2022 at 9:27 AM, Atlas 0187 said:

It might be 10 or more years until KSP 3 the hardware will be so much more advanced there will be features that are otherwise impossible, like intergalactic travel possibly.

1 minute ago, Cpt72Bug said:

The community will likely tackle some of these minor requests. I doubt the dev's will be looking much into off-target features this close to launch. I bet it's a large bugfix push. 

It probably wouldn't a bad idea to reserve a little bit of time to look to the future. Obviously they need to work on what they have now and continue to refine it, but I would assume looking into possible new features in the future while the game is in its beta state wouldn't be bad as that would allow them to get a head start on making parts of their code adaptable for those purposes before it's more difficult to implement. For instance, I think it's a fair assumption that robotics will make its way in eventually and I bet the team has other possible additions in mind as well. They won't be day 1 features and they may end up being DLC, but charting where the ship will end up matters almost as much as sailing it right now, you know?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 7:58 AM, MarcAbaddon said:

It seems really unlikely that devs will read these suggestion and go "that's such a great suggestion, let's delay the game for another year and implement it".

I was actually saying that we would want to have a lot of features for them to implement with ksp3 not that they should delay this one or the next one

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 5:27 PM, Atlas 0187 said:

they dont even have time to add in any more delays, they have to release in february or the game might get canceled, not sure what ure up to lol

On 11/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Atlas 0187 said:

Looks at the tital of the forum.

KSP 2 Suggestions & Development Discussion

Kind of to late for this……Someone at squad already asked for ideas.

also ksp 3  if they do it will probably not be out for several years if not more than 10.

Edited by [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 12:54 PM, Nazalassa said:

KSP had a billion subproblems, like atrocious performance and hideous conflicting part textures, that branched from its main actual problem, the fact the devs were cramming massive features that they didn't know how to implement properly into a game that was only meant to support 2.5D bottle rockets going maybe a few dozen kilometers up from a flat plane. Not to mention Squad laying most of the devs off come 1.2. I 100% can guarantee KSP 2 will not bring as much problems as KSP 1 did through to the end of its development cycle, especially given the fact that the devs are tackling problems and new features in an orderly fashion as opposed to saying "we'll push 2 bug fixes and 3 texture changes (that barely improve from the 0.18 textures) an update, and maybe also throw in a lazy novel feature that's ripped from a mod but implemented half as well, in order to keep the fans appeased". The devs aren't slacking, or otherwise overworking to account for layoffs, like Squad did - a mod wouldn't be able to run circles around Intercept's work like Restock did around Squad's attempts at 'revamping' the old textures.