The Ksp mun Easter egg

Orry

Yeah... I'm not thrilled about it.

Now one of the coolest natural formations in the game turns out to be an unrealistic ancient relic. I liked the game because I got to explore what was naturally, geologically possible out there in the cosmos. That feeling is now greatly diminished.

35 minutes ago, Ahres said:

Now one of the coolest natural formations in the game turns out to be an unrealistic ancient relic. I liked the game because I got to explore what was naturally, geologically possible out there in the cosmos. That feeling is now greatly diminished.

The mun arch is, and always has been, an Easter egg. Take a step back and rethink the situation and what that means. 

Edited by MechBFP

38 minutes ago, Ahres said:

There's still 2 arches that are untouched, afaik. 

10 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

The mun arch is, and always has been, an Easter egg. Take a step back and rethink the situation and what that means. 

Of course I know this, Mech. But it was present under the guise of it being a realistic geological formation. Now it's being portrayed as a highly improbable ancient alien relic. I was hoping the game wouldn't go that direction, but now it has. It's a reality I'll have to come to terms with.

10 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

There's still 2 arches that are untouched, afaik. 

Good point.

Hopefully this will be on the same level as all the other anomalies; the Duna face and SSTV, the temple and UFOs, the Magic Boulder, the whale on Laythe, the Kraken on Bop.

If the new Munarch artifact and the other stuff actually become central to the gameplay as opposed to things to just visit, I’ll be a wee bit upset.  I really don’t want Stargates or having technology get unlocked via discovering artifacts.  The story of Kerbals’ reach for the stars under their own power (as a metaphor for our own) is much more inspirational than any tabloid-inspired sci fi could be.

Of course, this could all just be marketing.  I think I’m going to spend some time this evening cheating a massive munition into a Munarch in KSP1 to see what happens.

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

The good news is, I don't see this easter egg being something that opens the door to unreal tech. I want to say we've even heard from Nate Simpson that there won't be unrealistic sci-fi tech in the game. No warp drive or things like that.

4 minutes ago, Ahres said:

The good news is, I don't see this easter egg being something that opens the door to unreal tech. I want to say we've even heard from Nate Simpson that there won't be unrealistic sci-fi tech in the game. No warp drive or things like that.

That's how I remember it too.

1 hour ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Hopefully this will be on the same level as all the other anomalies; the Duna face and SSTV, the temple and UFOs, the Magic Boulder, the whale on Laythe, the Kraken on Bop.

If the new Munarch artifact and the other stuff actually become central to the gameplay as opposed to things to just visit, I’ll be a wee bit upset.  I really don’t want Stargates or having technology get unlocked via discovering artifacts.  The story of Kerbals’ reach for the stars under their own power (as a metaphor for our own) is much more inspirational than any tabloid-inspired sci fi could be.

Of course, this could all just be marketing.  I think I’m going to spend some time this evening cheating a massive munition into a Munarch in KSP1 to see what happens.

Now abnormalities is rumored to be important to science in KSP 2 but the examples we got was natural as in large crystals, rare meteorites found in craters, stromatolites on Laythe is the only one who is living but Laythe has to have life because of oxygen. 
As I understand the SSTV signal and the monoliths was supposed to relate to an planned story arc in KSP 1 who was scrapped. 

Now I'm not hostile to alien tech but think that should be endgame, like finding an alien wreck on an super earth planet and you have to bring it back to Kerbin to unlock something like the engine used in the expanse. Kind of getting an OP gun from the hardest boss, nice but you really don't need it. Fallout 3 had this but you could exploit to get it earlier and it was nice with the DLC who also added better guns. 

The new stuff under the arch could just be there from an old Kerbal society that died out blahblah years before hand. The current theory is that the symbols are the planets and moons and sun of Kerbol anyway. Dont need aliens to tell the Kerbals about the Kerbol system

5 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I wouldn't want it to impact the gameplay in any way, but having some sort of a story you can discover through it could be interesting. Looking for other worlds with other sapient minds is one of the big motivations for space exploration for some people, and so that would actually work nicely into the general feel of KSP - not giving you means to go out there, just a reason to go out and search.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

I wouldn't want it to impact the gameplay in any way, but having some sort of a story you can discover through it could be interesting. Looking for other worlds with other sapient minds is one of the big motivations for space exploration for some people, and so that would actually work nicely into the general feel of KSP - not giving you means to go out there, just a reason to go out and search.

I could live with that as a background option.  As the central theme of the game?  Meh.

7 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I'm guessing/hoping that how theyll do it is similar/a continuation to the planned storyline in ksp1, as an arg esc thing. I dont think theyll have you get quests to dig up alien artifacts to unlock tech, I can totally see there being several anomalies scattered about that gives you clues to discover the homeworld and you can fly to it. Nothing we have seen suggests the devs want to add alien tech to the game as theyve said that scientific realism is a priority and no to ftl tech.

Edited by Strawberry

9 hours ago, Ahres said:

Dude, chill. It’s a teaser for the upcoming game.

besides KSP already had crashed UFOs and Monoliths all over the freaking place

9 hours ago, Ahres said:

Of course I know this, Mech. But it was present under the guise of it being a realistic geological formation. Now it's being portrayed as a highly improbable ancient alien relic. I was hoping the game wouldn't go that direction, but now it has. It's a reality I'll have to come to terms with.

Good point.

It’s a water erosion stone arch. On a airless moon.  Also it’s ment to be a teaser for KSP 2. Relax.

2 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I could live with that as a background option.  As the central theme of the game?  Meh.

Oh, yeah. I don't mean this like part of the main storyline (if there is one) or progression through the game. It's more like these optional quests in some games that give you more lore. And I don't mean that all of them have to be alien-related. There can just be a collection of SETI-themed sort of exploration side-mission of finding these easter eggs. Purely fluff and flavor text.

In a similar vein, I would love for exploration of natural artifacts to give you lore about the star system you're exploring. How its planets formed, under what conditions, etc. Again, nothing central to the game or necessary in any shape or form. Just something that instead of just being, "You took a sample from a cool-looking rock," be more along the lines of, "You took a sample from this rock, and here is what you learned about the way it must have formed, which tells us this about the early history of this planet/moon/asteroid." Again, basically fluff, but it would make exploration just that little bit more exciting.

Both of these categories can co-exist and not interfere with each other or the main game, and you can ignore either or both if it doesn't mesh well with what you're looking for in the game.

Seems like a solar system map?  Big light at the left being the star while the next two look like planets on orbit lines (with moons)

Perhaps they're showing us the layout of other solar systems we could visit (in KSP2)?

11 hours ago, Ahres said:

There are literally dead aliens, radio broadcasts, ruins of ancient Kerbals and multiple other weird stuff scattered all over KSP1.

Acting like "hurr durr muh feelings" for an Easter Egg meant to connect whatever events or content from KSP1 and KSP2 doesn't take away anything from anyone.

13 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

Dude, chill. It’s a teaser for the upcoming game.

besides KSP already had crashed UFOs and Monoliths all over the freaking place

It’s a water erosion stone arch. On a airless moon.  Also it’s ment to be a teaser for KSP 2. Relax.

11 hours ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

There are literally dead aliens, radio broadcasts, ruins of ancient Kerbals and multiple other weird stuff scattered all over KSP1.

Acting like "hurr durr muh feelings" for an Easter Egg meant to connect whatever events or content from KSP1 and KSP2 doesn't take away anything from anyone.

Sheesh, I apparently need to work on the tone I'm trying to portray. I'm stating my opinion as descriptively as I can and it's being received as... whining? You guys can't just say, "that's a valid point, but it doesn't look like the game will be going the route you were hoping for"?