KSP2 Insiders - Preview event hosted by ESA

Vl3d

36 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

More teasing than trolling. 

Teasing? I see that we're just waiting around for a screenshot every 2-3 days. Even those promos are mainly for Discord and TikTok. Right, whatever. Let's just get through these final 10 days of waiting. The pre-release marketing "campaign" is something I don't ever want to think about again.

Not the devs, the youtubers. Scott with his 2 rocket (even though it was ages before the meeting), that guy there with his multiplayer DDR.

Embargos on most game reviews are down only few days before release, I'd expect the same here but gods I haven't seen anyone just hahaing their way around forbidden content before.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Teasing? I see that we're just waiting around for a screenshot every 2-3 days. Even those promos are mainly for Discord and TikTok. Right, whatever. Let's just get through these final 10 days of waiting. The pre-release marketing "campaign" is something I don't ever want to think about again.

Pre-release marketing campaign? What Pre-release marketing campaign? Are you living in 2025 when the game is about to officially launch with it's 1.0 update? 

Everything they have done is for "Early Access marketing." not pre-release marketing. Pre-release implies the game is going into 1.0, which it is not. 

As to the reason why they haven't been marketing the game, well, there's a whole thread you can read on that. Bottom line: They don't want to market it to the masses, only to fans of KSP 1 and ask for the fans' help to find bugs during EA. The game is not ready for prime-time and therefore not ready for true marketing. 

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Oh noes, the trauma of having to focus on something other than KSP 2 to keep yourself occupied.

45 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Oh noes, the trauma of having to focus on something other than KSP 2 to keep yourself occupied.

All I want is for this game to sell well. It's the only thing that can help us have all the features we wished for in the future.

Just now, Vl3d said:
48 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

All I want is for this game to sell well. It's the only thing that can help us have all the features we wished for in the future.

You'll see prerelease marketing when the game gets to its prerelease stage.

26 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

KSP 1 has currently, approximately, between 3.92 Million to 10.08 million* copies sold.

KSP 2 will surpass that because it's targeting the bigger audience, but it can't do that right now. Marketing KSP 2 early access game WILL kill KSP 2. People will be expecting it to be a fully fledge game, and it's not. It can't afford to market itself right now. 

When it gets close to 1.0 release, then and only then should they market the game, when it's in a "complete" state. 

The game will be successful, we just have to wait and be patient. 

Heck, even Intercept knows this, why do you think they haven't truly marketed it? Because it will die before it even reaches release. 

*Numbers based off SteamDB approximations: Kerbal Space Program Price history · SteamDB

Edited by GoldForest

Will there be an early access trailer? Even game demos have official trailers

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

KSP 1 has currently, approximately, between 3.92 Million to 10.08 million* copies sold.

KSP 2 will surpass that because it's targeting the bigger audience

But KSP2 is noticeably more expensive, many took the first part almost for free. And our forum has been a bit empty since 2015...

18 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Will there be an early access trailer? Even game demos have official trailers

But KSP2 is noticeably more expensive, many took the first part almost for free. And our forum has been a bit empty since 2015...

Almost certainly, there will be a EA launch video. It'll probably drop the same hour the game releases though, it will quite literally be a 'launch' video.

On 2/13/2023 at 5:49 AM, GoldForest said:

More teasing than trolling. 

They need to advertise their streams for when the embargo breaks.

Teasing: "I went to the insider event, I played KSP2"

Trolling: "I played with Tim Dodd, multiplayer... Dance Revolution!" and Scott Manley's "KSP2 launch." I had a good laugh over both, and I'm totally fine with it, but it is trolling.

14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Is this not a more convoluted instance of teasing?

I wouldn't say so. With a teaser you're kinda upfront about it. Whatever comes after multiplayer on the roadmap, that's a good example of a teaser. People might not get to see what they're hoping to see because you end the video, or blur it out, but it's basically "I'm not going to show it" and rarely ever will a tease start with "I'm going to show it" because then it's plain lying.

It turns into trolling when you deliberately show something else pretending to be what you say upfront it is. The aforementioned examples. Or NDT's yearly tweet about Isaac Newton on Christmas day.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I wouldn't say so. With a teaser you're kinda upfront about it. Whatever comes after multiplayer on the roadmap, that's a good example of a teaser. People might not get to see what they're hoping to see because you end the video, or blur it out, but it's basically "I'm not going to show it" and rarely ever will a tease start with "I'm going to show it" because then it's plain lying.

It turns into trolling when you deliberately show something else pretending to be what you say upfront it is. The aforementioned examples. Or NDT's yearly tweet about Isaac Newton on Christmas day.

yTgpuEw.png

What you described sounds playful to me.

Trolling, on the other hand, implies an intent to cause harm or offence.

26 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

yTgpuEw.png

What you described sounds playful to me.

Trolling, on the other hand, implies an intent to cause harm or offence.

Just think about what sounds like an accurate description of the situation: strip-trolling or strip-teasing? Only one of them can get you hyped. The other one just makes you angry.

26 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Just think about what sounds like an accurate description of the situation: strip-trolling or strip-teasing? Only one of them can get you hyped. The other one just makes you angry.

A. Intent matters

B. Whoever's getting angry over the teasing doesn't have any reason to be angry :D

Edited by Bej Kerman
On req

Teasing or trolling, sure enough I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt the next time he posts a video.

For whoever didn't see it you can sum up the interesting bit to: "He was there, he can't talk yet due to an NDA"

In short, nothing new.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:53 PM, GoldForest said:

KSP 2 will surpass that because it's targeting the bigger audience, but it can't do that right now. Marketing KSP 2 early access game WILL kill KSP 2. People will be expecting it to be a fully fledge game, and it's not. It can't afford to market itself right now. 

When it gets close to 1.0 release, then and only then should they market the game, when it's in a "complete" state. 

The game will be successful, we just have to wait and be patient. 

Heck, even Intercept knows this, why do you think they haven't truly marketed it? Because it will die before it even reaches release. 

*Numbers based off SteamDB approximations: Kerbal Space Program Price history · SteamDB

Thats the lets say "simplest" take I have ever heard.

Marketing a game is always beneficial UNLESS they release a buggy mess. But even then hype will never be as high as on launch of EA

8 minutes ago, thejoker1432 said:

Thats the lets say "simplest" take I have ever heard.

Marketing a game is always beneficial UNLESS they release a buggy mess. But even then hype will never be as high as on launch of EA

No, marketing is not always beneficial, like it isn't for early access games. People buy the game expecting a complete game and they get 1/8th of a game. This p/o's them, they leave a bad review, review score drops, people don't buy the game, game dies. 

And hype can be higher than it was at EA. I've seen a few games go from a low playerbase during EA to skyrocketing numbers at 1.0 release. 

Edited by GoldForest