What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

Attached third and probably the last segment of the orbital station. Partially because there's no use for those, partially because RCS is so wonky to operate it's beyond me. And docking takes ages of stupid ass dance around each other because SAS compensates so hard it negates any non-forward input from the thrusters.

Decided the glass is 1/3 full, rather than 2/3 empty and had a decent go.  Managed to dock two sections of something resembling a space station.   It was something of a shame to have an enormous message pop up instantly cover my triumph.  Hopefully people will see fit to remove that.

Sadly... upon returning from the saved game, my station was a spinning mass of the major components.

Undeterred, I decided it was time to head to another planet (something I have not yet done in KSP...).  So I strapped together a booster to take a Stayputnik to Eve.

Current established in a 100km orbit.  I should have enough dv left to get to Gilly while I'm here.

Running on a 6700k with a 1070 card, so well below min spec.  So far, I've not had any dramas with performance, though graphics setting are low.  0.1.3 certainly helped the load times.

I'm prepping for a Jool 5. I need an extra segment between the Laythe lander and the hub. That segment will hold the return vessel and some extra fuel.

Jool-5-prep-2.png
Jool-5-prep-3.png

I have a setup to deliver a "OneOscar" Biplane to Every Mun. And return the delivery kerbal.

I launched the game to see if changing my control surfaces to static fins would make the rocket I've been trying to launch since March fly correctly (they did not).  But the launcher had a survey which I really wanted to fill out. I accidentally clicked out of it, then when I clicked the survey button again it said "you have already completed this survey".  That about sums up KSP 2.

Testing out a new ship and a ring station.  Just finished re-fueling and undocking.

Xt7IOWb.jpg

Started building a new modular fuel depot in a 400 km circular orbit. It'll hold 512 T of fuel and 80 T of monopropellant when finished.

GAUhJEZ.jpg

As part of my own QA process for setting up my Jool 5 mission I decided to do a dry run using Mun and Minimus as test bodies. My calculations were correct that the "OneOscar" mothership AKA "Jewelies" has phenomenal reach and each of its subassemblies is a capable space navigator. The smaller assemblies for Pol and Bop ended up with a suprising amount of DV, rearranging my entry priorities for Jool Capture.

The center of my Jool 5 ship is a 2 stage Tylo lander. To save mass, Tim is going to EVA for the entire flag planting portion of the mission. The lander first drops to Vall and drops the first "OneOscar", then the lander returns to it's port, refuels, and preps to drop to Tylo. On Tylo, it has enough DV to land and take-off, but a second stage is necessary for escape. Tim will perform a daring feat of EVA seat swapping to reach his second stage escape vessel off of Tylo.

But there's a catch...

The Kraken has found this plan to be too daring for Early Access v0.1.3.0 and is preventing Tim from successfully, or rather safely, performing his EVA stunt.

It's all good though. "Jewelies" is still under development and there is still some more testing to be done on Minmus. FLY SAFE!

Played the game for the first time since launch week.  Build a simple rocket with chute, pod, fuel and terrier, fuel and swivel, and a SRB.  Launched rocket, achieved orbit, burned for return to Kerbin.

Parachute "opened" but nothing came out.  As my chute "opened," my pod now at around 1500 meters, did a weird curved 180 as if it was a plane gliding in a different direction.  Chute never opened. Pod crashed into the ocean.  The end.

May give it another shot, or may put it back on the shelf until another update or 5.

I had a laugh, that's what I did. Put together an orbiter and tried out one of those fancy new engines. Performance took a nice step forward although I've an overpowered machine.

20230628114552-1.jpg

Shot of Kerbin with the new engine.

20230628114644-1.jpg

Val in awe of today's accomplishment.

20230628115110-1.jpg

Stage separation and ready for splashdown.

20230628115156-1.jpg

I'll never agree with those who don't think the game looks good.

20230628115255-1.jpg

Back in the sunlight and enjoying the mountains.

20230628115513-1.jpg

At about this point the laughs began. I realized... I wasn't quite on the reentry path I expected. Skimming along Kerbin ~23km high and no signs of sinking below that.

20230628115731-1.jpg

Fortunately, a parachute deploy did drop my PE, but not by that much.

20230628115743-1.jpg

I caught glimpse of the Mun as I skipped out of atmosphere again.

20230628115942-1.jpg

Silver lining, I was able to capture another glory shot as I revolved around to the day side of Kerbin yet again. This time the PE dropped to something to assure touchdown.

20230628120140-1.jpg

Val lined up a near KSC trajectory.

20230628120242-1.jpg

Meanwhile I foolishly cut, repacked, and tried to redeploy my chute... maybe get better drag? Well the chute decided it was no longer robust enough for the journey. So it continued to rip itself away from the craft. Naturally, that meant a full on lithobrake...

20230628120314-1.jpg

Until suddenly I found myself making a U-Turn back up into space. This caught me by surprise because I was definitely looking for a nice fireball for everyone to enjoy.

20230628120407-1.jpg

Up, up, up we went... until gravity did its thing and sent us back down.

20230628120544-1.jpg

A fateful picture just tenths of a second before splashdown.

20230628120551-1.jpg

Thus the conclusion of an entertaining journey. What did we learn? Hang onto that stage until the last possible moment - something I usually do but the bugs bit today.

I found a huge boulder field (or field of huge boulders) on the Mun

mRetwOL.jpg

Also found out that Kerbals are very, VERY strong.

46hZ3M0.jpg

Strong enough to push a spacecraft around. this is probably a bug but way too hilarious to report

Well, I finally got back to my gaming PC again... Been on a business trip... Not that anyone cares, I'm just bragging. Testing those new engines on a short Mun trip... That desert tune with drums gets me every time... Bugs or no bugs... Damn!!!

:P

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

Testing those new engines on a short Mun trip... That desert tune with drums gets me every time... Bugs or no bugs...

The Mun's my next stop on a musical tour of the planets, so I can't wait to experience those sounds too!

9 hours ago, Heretic391 said:

Finally connected the Cherry Blossom tree to our Dres Station. Thoughts on how it looks?

It's meant to be a space habitat with artificial gravity. Just imagine a glass cover :) :confused:

glgaqpB.png

idRGKn3.png

woKwHWn.png

mkrR4R3.png

Bruh... how?! What kind of NASA supercomputer are you running?

Seriously awesome dude!

So I fired up KSP2 today to see if I could work on planes instead of rockets.  I am no good at planes; I can barely get one to the island airfield in KSP1, and I have to use parachutes to land.

Anyhow, in KSP2...I am terrible.  The procedural wings/control surfaces are not good for me, and I cannot seem to find anything to help me build planes.  I can say, though, that I can certainly create some nice explosions!

7 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So I fired up KSP2 today to see if I could work on planes instead of rockets.  I am no good at planes; I can barely get one to the island airfield in KSP1, and I have to use parachutes to land.

Anyhow, in KSP2...I am terrible.  The procedural wings/control surfaces are not good for me, and I cannot seem to find anything to help me build planes.  I can say, though, that I can certainly create some nice explosions!

There's loads of good Youtube videos out there. In KSP2 a basic plane (as opposed to an SSTO) is fairly straightforward. Common mistakes:

- Not paying attention to Centre of Mass vs Centre of Lift. The CL should be maybe 5% back from the CM (give or take a fair bit for taste).
- Wheels too far back / too far apart / trying to control direction. Deactivate steering in Parts Action Window and make sure the rear wheels are not too far back from the CM. A set of wheels under the cockpit and a set under each wing.
- Turn SAS off if you're getting runaway corrections!
- Having too much control surface / wrong configuration. A basic setup for a fast jet would be canards dedicated to pitch; ailerons dedicated to roll; and a rudder dedicated to yaw. You can limit what axis each control surface works in via the PAW.
- Controlling it like a spaceship. Control it like a plane - to turn, first roll then pitch up a bit.
- Not understanding the fine controls required for flight. If you press CAPS LOCK, it reduces the deflection of control surfaces so it's a bit more manageable at high speed; and if you hold ALT while pitching up/down it adjusts the default trim.

I think that's the first set of bug-fixes but I'd be happy to have a look at a craft of yours if you want to upload it somewhere!

I attempted to leave Kerbol's SOI... again... however even with infinite fuel and ion engines, the game stopped letting the craft accelerate past 50-60km/s despite having full tanks. I dont think I want to timewarp 20,000 years lol.. perhaps I will try nuclear engines? last time, I managed to get up to over 7000km/s.

ok tried nuclear, and apparently engine thrust during timewarp outright stops at some point for some reason, even with infinite fuel

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

I got back up to my old tricks, simple rocket.

20230710154538-1.jpg

20230710155622-1.jpg

Touched down on a strange planet

20230710161159-1.jpg

And Val worked through some issues. I left her there for maybe a rover mission recovery, possibly a plane if I could figure out how to do it. Speaking of which:

20230710163031-1.jpg

I put together my first plane in KSP2. This is with a little fiddling with the procedural parameters and trying repeatedly to get the landing gear positioned to where the damn thing wouldn't topple forward.

20230710163202-1.jpg

A trip to the Island Airfield proved problematic.

20230710163517-1.jpg

More parameter tweaks to get the Center of Pressure closer to CoM - previously the widget was around the engine connection when it needed to be around the dark part of the intakes.

20230710163625-1.jpg

A better design but a similar fate. I had to keep adjusting control surface settings to make sure the correct surfaces were set to pitch/yaw/roll.

20230710163833-1.jpg

A final go of tweaks yielded this - precisely the same as the last one, but with engine gimballing disabled. Much more stable in SAS, while entirely controllable without it.

20230710164008-1.jpg

It behaved so well, I said let's shoot for the edge of space. Naturally, lack of air killed the engine, however this is hands down the most successful flying contraption I've put together.

20230710164828-1.jpg

After a longer flight than anticipated I headed back towards KSC with intent to land. Unfortunately, I ran out of fuel long before this picture. It was all I could do to line KSC up and get within visual distance of the Island Airfield and KSC shores. I'm sure you know what comes next...

20230710165023-1.jpg

The magnificently planned conversion to Methawater submarine.

20230710165221-1.jpg

As you can see, diving to depths of 360 meters with ease.

I enjoyed playing with procedural wings. It's infinitely easier for me to put together something airworthy compared to KSP. A minor pain point was having to close the procedural settings window to get the Center of Pressure widget to recalculate position. It might be a useful addition to the engineer report to warn builders if their craft isn't likely to fly.

So what did I do in KSP2 today?  Something I haven't even done in KSP1:  visited Jool.  I am attempting the weekly challenge to go to Eeloo, and thanks to my own mess-ups, I ended up with an intercept with Jool.  I decided that, even though I'm not going to hit the Val level (no rover on the ship), I may as well as least do the slingshot.  So, for the first time ever in playing KSP, I have images of a ship I built traveling through Jool's little system.

Spoiler

Jool and Tylo

JlQdlbg.png

Jool, Val, and Laythe

2uTUxBx.png

Another shot of Laythe as I pass through her SOI

ry8EZOr.png

And the green monster itself

E4MyYL1.png