A week in... 10% still playing

JoeSchmuckatelli

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

The game wouldn't look like today if it was out 3 years ago.

You don't say... Well done! (Possible I've read this wrong and my go-to emotion is sarcasm)

7 hours ago, Fluke said:

Same old copy and paste posts from the same people, over and over, just move on and wait. The same thing doesn't have to be said a million times over. 

I agree... Similar to yours but with a bit more substance and actually aimed at the product, not the individual?

Edited by TickleMyMary
Sarcasm explanation.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Not what you've seen since the earliest footage from 2019/early 2020. The game wouldn't look like today if it was out 3 years ago.

7 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

You don't say... Well done!

The Aziz agreed with you and you chose be be super sarcastic. Why?

Player count:

Current = 210
24h peak = 521
Week peak = 790

Yikes

42 minutes ago, Tazooka said:

The Aziz agreed with you and you chose be be super sarcastic. Why?

I didn't read it as an agreeing statement to be fair... If it was, I'm more than happy to take it back!

43 minutes ago, Tazooka said:

Current = 210
24h peak = 521
Week peak = 790

Yikes

Yikes indeed! Let's see what todays update brings... I'd like to say I have hope but, you know, I don't anymore.

4 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

I didn't read it as an agreeing statement to be fair... If it was, I'm more than happy to take it back!

Oh woops, okay then.

5 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Yikes indeed! Let's see what todays update brings... I'd like to say I have hope but, you know, I don't anymore.

There will definitely be a spike like with patch 1, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near the all-time peak of 25k.

I expect it'll be more active once Science mode is out and most of these bugs are patched, which will hopefully be today. However, I'm not expecting miracles, especially as they even admitted they get their priorities wrong.

2 minutes ago, Tazooka said:

There will definitely be a spike like with patch 1, 

I expect it'll be more active once Science mode is out and most of these bugs are patched, which will hopefully be today. However, I'm not expecting miracles, especially as they even admitted they get their priorities wrong.

My issue with Patch One is that it seemed a heck of a lot like the influencer event build... Same bugs we saw there only stated showing once Patch One landed imo, I'll leave that speculation at that though.

Science is the key one for me really as I'm at a loss with the game right now, even if it ran perfectly, in it's current state there's no way possible it can hold my attention... An issue I have never had with it's predecessor in nearly 10 years of play.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

3 hours ago, TickleMyMary said:

You don't say... Well done! (Possible I've read this wrong and my go-to emotion is sarcasm)

I meant that. The planets only had bumped up resolution, they weren't made from scratch, terrible skybox, clouds were only still 2D, the vfx were eh... Everything that happened since then was done to make the game 3B's, Bigger, Better and Bolder.

Also

On 4/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, The Aziz said:

How many are playing doesn't matter, what's important to the publisher is the amount of finalized purchases.

2 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Wow, with the new patch online has grown to 1200 players! This is of course only 5% of the first day, but Nate should be pleased

Peak during the last patch was 3k.  Might have to see what the weekend holds, to see if the patch makes the game more.meaningfully playable to significantly change user counts, but after 7 weeks after launch without any new content, there may not be a big bump until new content is added.

32 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

Peak during the last patch was 3k.  Might have to see what the weekend holds, to see if the patch makes the game more.meaningfully playable to significantly change user counts, but after 7 weeks after launch without any new content, there may not be a big bump until new content is added.

Why is there no new content? What about the lights in the space center?! :D
There won't be new content for a long time. Well, there will be heating, but is this content? This is a limitation, now you have to sit on Eve carefully, not like now. But the game is paid only once, sales are important for T2, and the current online one means little. Was there a peak in sales during the first patch? I doubt.

5 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Why is there no new content? What about the lights in the space center?! :D
There won't be new content for a long time. Well, there will be heating, but is this content? This is a limitation, now you have to sit on Eve carefully, not like now. But the game is paid only once, sales are important for T2, and the current online one means little. Was there a peak in sales during the first patch? I doubt.

As far as sales go, the only way to get a vague estimate is by looking at new reviews.  I've posted elsewhere but there is some data backing up that the ratio of reviews to sales averages 41, but varies between 20 to 100 depending on the title. Since yesterday KSP2 seems to have gotten about 30 new reviews,  so 1200 steam sales if the average holds true.  In the previous days is was only getting 10ish.

My guess is KSP2 gets more reviews per sale than average because it's controversial.  

Mostly what matters to T2 are sales projections though.  They still likely believe that after enough dev effort is put in, KSP2 will hit the sort of sales figures KSP1 did - but at the moment sales are pretty poor for the title, as you'd expect from the low review scores.

24 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

Mostly what matters to T2 are sales projections though.  They still likely believe that after enough dev effort is put in, KSP2 will hit the sort of sales figures KSP1 did - but at the moment sales are pretty poor for the title, as you'd expect from the low review scores.

The potential is there.  If they get stability and 'dumb' bugs fixed soon and get Science out in a reasonable timeframe, we will likely see an influx.  That said, I'm thinking that Colonies will be the biggest pull, seeing as that's the first and truly 'new New' for the series.  That update is a draw for people who remember KSP fondly - but aren't interested in being a beta-tester.

14 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The potential is there.  If they get stability and 'dumb' bugs fixed soon and get Science out in a reasonable timeframe, we will likely see an influx.  That said, I'm thinking that Colonies will be the biggest pull, seeing as that's the first and truly 'new New' for the series.  That update is a draw for people who remember KSP fondly - but aren't interested in being a beta-tester.

Well, if you look at what the game is like almost two months after the release, then there are doubts that the colonies will be what we expect. The developers could not reproduce KSP1 from scratch, improving the texture resolution and adding some good features. Will they be able to make good colonies? I don't think they know exactly how colonies are supposed to work, thats why we know almost nothing about them.

Oh yeah, it's been a day since patch 2, 800 people online!

20 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Mods?

?  62 mods

https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program-2

Also just noting that the amount of players playing the game does not effect anything. But rather the amount of players actively watching the game slowly age. (the community) which is everyone reading this comment, everyone on the forums, everyone watching a video about how glitchy the game is in its current state. This is the community.

Edited by Little 908
edit

5 minutes ago, Dunas Only Moon said:

Welcome to the forum, @Little 908!

Yes there are only 62 mods, they are not too good but im hoping for some re-entry heating in one of them 

(ok that was a joke, you are not new, we all know you are more popular than me)

What do you mean “they are not too good” ?

we already have a system modifier (galaxy tweaker)

Here are some more interesting statistics. The number of reviews on steam for KSP2 from April 1 - 170 positive and 110 negative, and for KSP1 - 238 positive and 10 negative. From this we can assume that now KSP2 brings about the same profit as KSP1.

Edited by Alexoff

On 4/13/2023 at 12:42 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The worrying part is any of the fixes are there to address the exact  issue, like a recalcitrant teenager, trying to maliciously comply in the worst way possible. Take the garage, for instance. Yes, they fixed it. Did they fix the underlying bad colliders everywhere on the KSC problem? Nope, they fixed the garage. You'll still sink through the stairs at the launch platform, for instance.

If a certain problem shows steps on how to reproduce a bug that happens on EVA, and it uses the Mun as an example, you can bet that while that bug will be fixed, the same issue will still exist on Minmus. I don't want to be one of the haters but the limited scope of bug fixing is very frustrating.

Edited by Kerbart

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

I don't want to be one of the haters but the limited scope of bug fixing is very frustrating.

It's between this and game-breaking core system bugs still surviving multiple patches, like orbit decay and planes disintegrating on launch (at least orbit decay has finally been acknowledged) that give me the biggest worries and complaints.  I've been loath to mention it for fear of the "unless you personally coded an entire OS from scratch you have no right to comment on game development" crowd.

Like, I get it.  Coding is hard.  Games are complex systems with lots of moving parts, lots of different coders, and things always break somewhere.  But it's not like programming is some special forbidden art that only trueborn mages may practice or critique.  In every project I've worked on, having such fundamental issues with the entire core function and reason for existence of your system, regardless of whether it's programming or hardware, is grounds to drop *everything* until that problem doesn't exist anymore.  Maybe game development is a special.  Maybe my coworkers  and employer are.   At the very least, don't go radio silence on the issue until after your second patch when it's existed at launch.

Edited by Razor235