Weekly Challenge #7 - Land on Eve

#KSP2weeklychallenge is here! This week, Land on Eve!

Challenge7_Eve_Landscape_1_V2.png

Primary: Land a vehicle (crewed or uncrewed) on Eve

Stretch: Land a vehicle on Eve that you're pretty sure could survive the landing even after re-entry heat is added to the game (warning: we'll be asking you to re-fly this craft when re-entry heat is added to the game)

Jeb Level: Land a vehicle at as high an altitude as you can on Eve (your screenshot should show the altimeter set to Sea Level mode)

Val Level: Land a crewed vehicle on Eve and return that crew safely to Kerbin

3 hours ago, Ghostii_Space said:

#KSP2weeklychallenge is here! This week, Land on Eve!

Challenge7_Eve_Landscape_1_V2.png

Primary: Land a vehicle (crewed or uncrewed) on Eve

Stretch: Land a vehicle on Eve that you're pretty sure could survive the landing even after re-entry heat is added to the game (warning: we'll be asking you to re-fly this craft when re-entry heat is added to the game)

Jeb Level: Land a vehicle at as high an altitude as you can on Eve (your screenshot should show the altimeter set to Sea Level mode)

Val Level: Land a crewed vehicle on Eve and return that crew safely to Kerbin

I dig it.

2 hours ago, Socraticat said:

I LIKE THIS!!! I absolutely need you to know today while I'm looking at your post.

What are you trying to say?

This was more confusing to read then my doctors handwriting… 

Edited by Little 908

I ran out of likes to give today, and I didn't want the post to leave my frame of notice without praise.

Maybe it's like, 1 like available an hour? 24 in a rolling 24hr day? 12? I just learned about this today.

1 minute ago, Socraticat said:

I ran out of likes to give today, and I didn't want the post to leave my frame of notice without praise.

wait there's a like cap?                                 the more you know                                                                                                        thats actually so stupid 

Jeb level proof of concept to see how such a craft would fare with the current physics.

Flight of the Pteromyini

Spoiler

What are we launching today?  A water tower?
EvpiZtj.jpg

Putting a little carbon on that ridiculous fairing.  The Pteromyini reveals herself!

Sg72YNQ.jpg

I6iap7v.jpg

KKmXl8y.jpg

Completing orbital burn.

OPzrL2L.jpg

A few beauty shots before departure...

ralhPeN.jpg

oOVFpcP.jpg

Away to Eve!

KjnmROb.jpg

hZMZGsV.jpg

A small, purple dot appears in the distance...

ffmLypm.jpg

hTsxA4K.jpg

Capturing around Eve

5fCpwtb.jpg

NTAsKxS.jpg

Vanity

TXc5Ajm.jpg

Preparing to aerocapture into Eve's atmosphere

cmThDQx.jpg

Transfer stage away

buCteG6.jpg

Orienting for "flight"

myvq4On.jpg

Y7lmaOT.jpg

ALqWo2G.jpg

We start to get a little control around 30 km up...

erc0IqX.jpg

YL2kx0M.jpg

NIwPjyn.jpg

Terrain starts to come into view around 14 km up.  Let's look for something hilly...

Xa0AzzG.jpg

Melwig spots some features off the port bow

3D0bwKV.jpg

Fairly level flying for the rest of the way

69AwpGC.jpg

oV2BS7u.jpg

kxSgUkh.jpg

Ybg7Q3l.jpg

On final approach...

eDiwkJ3.jpg

D414JGt.jpg

How many pieces of "flare" do you have?

LtfBz2g.jpg

Wings away!

9sCLFXQ.jpg

z5bd8Gw.jpg

FJaXRS8.jpg

KAP4RXg.jpg

1408 m above sea level, landed.

5h2Iv8W.jpg

Inspecting the debris

j5OykPo.jpg

Bill confirms the ladder is missing... as mission commander, he advises against heading down to the ground.

aIpu2x4.jpg

The crew poses to promote the KSP PR Department's latest campaign:  "Affordable Living Through Planetary Displacement"

PRSdBBl.jpg

And settles in...

IBy4DAb.jpg

0RtqsvH.jpg

Editorial

Spoiler

As should be evident from the fairing on my launch vehicle, this was really just a quick proof-of-concept run to see what landing on Eve is like in the current iteration of KSP 2.  I was burned far too many times trying to do #5 in a nice, clean, practical way; ended up just scrapping the lot (can somebody PLEASE tell me if there's a workaround for docking ports yet?) I was pretty happy with the rover/glider, though I wish I could put decouplers on the side rails rather than having to do that big structural frame.  Not sure if there's a way around it, but I can't seem to blow decouplers on smaller vehicles without them getting destroyed, even with the force set down to 0.  Hope that's a bug that gets addressed soon.

I don't think I'll try an Eve return until things get much more stable, but a one way trip was pretty fun and straightforward, especially with the lack of heating.  Glider handled surprisingly well for what it was.

VkVoXDS.jpg

thIVn1B.jpg

Well, I wasn't planning on going to Eve, but since I've not been there in KSP2, I decided to see if my other experiment could handle it.

Some useful info: the atmosphere starts at 90km.

A good intercept from game start happens around 1 year and 128 days in... well... around there, I was sloppy with time acceleration.

I launched my nuclear tourist vessel, swung around the moon, corrected on the way, skimmed the atmosphere, dumped all the excess parts, and landed on the sunny side.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UYEz0MV

Spoiler

Xbk2jPW.png

Had quite a lot of fun playing with KOS2. The script now makes it easy to repeat launches with little tweaks, and gets the more consistently than my clumsy fingers. Even crudely throttles based on dynamic pressure!

Br29cLD.png

Strangely - the dV indicates that I had exactly the same amount in space as I did while launching... Vacuum dV?

uI59lvJ.png

Passed the Mun on the way. Not sure if this helped the trip dV.

kButm4t.png

After a bunch of adjustments, we reached Eve's SOI.

huxXkLe.png

Circularizing around Eve at 187km. I only later figured out the atmosphere starts at 90km, so was playing it safe.

8yY1KY6.png

The staging didn't exactly cater for landing with a chute, so I fumbled around to get it deployed without dumping the legs.

I'm not sure how to break the news... He's not going home, and since the ship wasn't designed for Eve, he's probably staying outside too!

It landed! Primary goal achieved... might try a proper ship later.

(This ship uses the unavailable medium nuclear engine, not a crucial part, but I was experimenting with hydrogen)

I actually landed on eve once on the first days of the early access release, and after doing it again it amazes me that the game was fixed up to snuff in one patch. Anyways here's the screenshotsKnee_grows.PNG

Here's the new "landing".
Knee_grow.PNG

Here's the old one

Edited by StuperMan
Misclick on send

1 hour ago, PyroSA said:

Well, I wasn't planning on going to Eve, but since I've not been there in KSP2, I decided to see if my other experiment could handle it.

Some useful info: the atmosphere starts at 90km.

A good intercept from game start happens around 1 year and 128 days in... well... around there, I was sloppy with time acceleration.

I launched my nuclear tourist vessel, swung around the moon, corrected on the way, skimmed the atmosphere, dumped all the excess parts, and landed on the sunny side.

Hide contents

Xbk2jPW.png

Had quite a lot of fun playing with KOS2. The script now makes it easy to repeat launches with little tweaks, and gets the more consistently than my clumsy fingers. Even crudely throttles based on dynamic pressure!

Br29cLD.png

Strangely - the dV indicates that I had exactly the same amount in space as I did while launching... Vacuum dV?

uI59lvJ.png

kButm4t.png

huxXkLe.png

Circularizing around Eve at 187km. I only later figured out the atmosphere starts at 90km, so was playing it safe.

8yY1KY6.png

The staging didn't exactly cater for landing with a chute, so I fumbled around to get it deployed without dumping the legs.

I'm not sure how to break the news... He's not going home, and since the ship wasn't designed for Eve, he's probably staying outside too!

(This ship uses the unavailable medium nuclear engine, not a crucial part, but I was experimenting with hydrogen)

Interesting design! The colour combination works well too. 

14 hours ago, PyroSA said:

Reveal hidden contents

Xbk2jPW.png

Br29cLD.png

uI59lvJ.png

kButm4t.png

huxXkLe.png

8yY1KY6.png

Are those Mods you are using?

24 minutes ago, vianna77 said:

Are those Mods you are using?

Yes, so many mods :D

Main ones:

Micro Engineer - A must-have.
Manuever Node Controller - excellent for fiddling with manuever nodes.
Kontrol System 2 - Probably not for everyone, but extremely powerful scripting.
It's Nervin Time enables the middle nuclear engine (not complete, ISP is mid-way between the small one and swerv.

Interplanetary Calc - was used to get the angle to Eve.
Heads-up-display - For a 3D version of the nav-ball.

My Stretch entry, because huge heat shield + 3000k dV... 

I wanted to create a structure to help transfer my main ship around... so this is my first try on that

Spoiler

QZyggIs.jpg

Next, the lander coupling with the transfer structure

Spoiler

hNQ0YoR.jpg

yaAVg6K.jpg

After the transfer

Spoiler

Cfdq4HW.jpg

The landing

Spoiler

S0FiU1J.jpg

VbO6O4i.jpg

Touch down

Spoiler

3RFVHsY.jpg

Bug note:
For some reason the poodle engine didn't work on Eve so... bug?

First time I have posted one of these, it doesn't want to let me insert the images into the post. The text box turns red when I click to enter the image. Here is the album on Imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/aznUCdj

I had wanted to send a rover to Eve and this challenge pushed me to do it. For the stretch goal, I designed the landing system with inflatable heatshields to support entry heating and to handle both atmospheric landing with chutes and vacuum landing with small radial engines. The heatshields get dropped when the chutes kick in. When on the ground, decouple the entry assembly and drive over it. It worked great on Kerbin but the kraken was not happy on Eve, as driving over the assembly caused the rover to fly into the air and tumble around. I finally managed to get free of it and get some nice shots by the water (or whatever the liquid is on Eve).

For the Jeb level goal, I made a small plane with an Aerospike and used the same landing system to enter the atmosphere, then decoupled and flew around. I spotted the highest point nearby and landed on it, for an elevation of 1716 metres.

I returned a kerbal from Eve's surface a couple of times in KSP 1, so I might try it here later this week. That will be a serious challenge.

Spoiler

Tangled mass of parachute cords - *ahem* I mean modern art

QcOGyf3.jpeg

Spoiler

Approaching touchdown

lEQbAgU.jpeg

Spoiler

Primary achieved.

10M1utz.jpeg

Working feverishly on Val-Level. So....so close to circularizing post-takeoff from Eve but keep running out of fuel. Hoping that Patch #2 offers the performance improvements that my brain desperately needs to keep attempting it. Some of these larger crafts and becoming unruly lol. 

On 4/9/2023 at 1:42 PM, vianna77 said:

My Stretch entry, because huge heat shield + 3000k dV... 

I wanted to create a structure to help transfer my main ship around... so this is my first try on that

Reveal hidden contents

QZyggIs.jpg

Next, the lander coupling with the transfer structure

Reveal hidden contents

hNQ0YoR.jpg

yaAVg6K.jpg

After the transfer

Reveal hidden contents

Cfdq4HW.jpg

The landing

Reveal hidden contents

S0FiU1J.jpg

VbO6O4i.jpg

Touch down

Hide contents

3RFVHsY.jpg

Bug note:
For some reason the poodle engine didn't work on Eve so... bug?

Thought the same thing at first but it's not a bug - the heavier atmosphere restricts you to only a couple of feasible engines that can force out enough thrust to overcome the ATMs (or at least, that's my understanding. Recommend using the Dart or Vector engines.