Is the game this broken for anyone else?

Nicrose

I feel like I can't do anything in KSP2. Is it just me or does anyone else have so many game breaking problems that almost any mission is unattainable?

I just tried going to Jool and my entire orbital path just disappeared. I also tried making a simple plane at Kerbin but all of my controls stopped working unless I restarted the game but then I only had a save of me in mid air and I couldn't revert to launch. I tried strutting my rocket (for the second time because half of them disappeared) and both times if I used an upside down tank (like one to convert from one size to another but upside fown) it made it impossible to strut to. All of my struts would go through the entire ship and wouldn't work. Fairings are the hardest thing for me to work with. I can't ever get them to connect to the craft OR they are constantly "colliding" with something on the craft. If I hit the eye icon on the fairing, it just spazzes out and flickers between being on and being off at hundreds of times per second and this is impossible to avoid. (I've seen youtuber's being able to use the eye icon on the fairings without issues so maybe it's that I'm playing at 4k or it has to do with my system) Adding a stabilizer makes my rocket bend way more than without (unless it was the struts that disappeared randomly). Windowed mode doesn't work so switching between screens requires you to alt tab (admittedly not as important as anything else). Any time I exit the map I am instantly teleported to the center of my craft, clipping through all the parts and requiring me to zoom out and reposition the camera EVERY TIME. If you place 3 sets of wheels only the middle seems to make contact? Loading will sometimes send my ship in an unrecoverable spiral. I'm not quite sure whether com network actually works or not, along with the electricity system. Adding an empty stage somehow changes your delta v. Removing engines somehow increases thrust to weight ratio. Sometimes I can't delete fairings because when you pick it up the wrench icon is in the center of the piece but so is your cursor so when you hover over the trashcan, it just keeps hitting the wrench and makes it impossible to delete the fairing. Also when using fairings or procedural parts in general the gear or eye icon will duplicate and remain in screen space forever. Or the center of gravity, lift, and other marker will always end up on the floor of the VAB until used and then disappear somewhere else after. The camera constantly choosing orbital mode three times EVERY launch and forcing the camera to clip inside the craft seems like an odd choice, unless that's a bug and not a feature. I hear random extra beeps in the VAB that makes me think I just did something wrong. I also don't understand why they completely removed the docking visualizer. I thought it was incredibly handy and now I can't even figure out how to use monopropellant. Every single time my rocket just forgets any directionality I put on it as if it's just not programmed. 

Okay, that was a lot, I know. But mind you, this all happened within a 2 hour play session after I haven't touched the game for weeks. At this rate, I don't think I'm going to be playing KSP2 anymore. The hype was real but this is so disheartening that I can't even participate in the weekly challenges and they tend to just bum me out, forcing me to wish that I could actually accomplish what the actual dev's are telling me is supposedly possible. I was really optimistic but I don't think the game will be playable for another year at this rate, especially after announcing that bug fixes are no longer a priority. Anyways, really hope I'm not the only one. 

EDIT: I know this is a pretty negative post but I guess I don't know where else to vent my frustration. Sorry if this comes off as raging, I'm just sad. 

Edited by Nicrose

This is effectively an alpha build of the game. It's playable, but only just enough. There will be fixes and patches over the coming months, but it will be some time before the game is ready to be really played. For now, see it more as a preview.

There is a Bug Workaround Thread if you want to try and get some missions going anyways. Otherwise, the only thing to do is wait.

3 minutes ago, K^2 said:

This is effectively an alpha build of the game. It's playable, but only just enough. There will be fixes and patches over the coming months, but it will be some time before the game is ready to be really played. For now, see it more as a preview.

There is a Bug Workaround Thread if you want to try and get some missions going anyways. Otherwise, the only thing to do is wait.

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of.... big sad

Yes, the game is fundamentally broken due to massive bugs and glitches of all flavours. The problem is not no your side, it is the game. You'd have much more fun with KSP 1 which runs quite well and offers more features when using mods.

6 hours ago, Nicrose said:

I tried strutting my rocket (for the second time because half of them disappeared)

I noticed that if I ctrl+z, all struts will break, but if I ctrl+z a second time, they all return to positions. Not a perfect solution but it works when I need it to.

if I used an upside down tank (like one to convert from one size to another but upside fown) it made it impossible to strut to. All of my struts would go through the entire ship and wouldn't work.

Yeah, I have to make do by only applying struts to upright parts.

If you place 3 sets of wheels only the middle seems to make contact?

I don't see how that would happen unless you placed them unevenly or unless the center of your vessel is so heavy that it's bowing.

I hear random extra beeps in the VAB that makes me think I just did something wrong.

I think this might be the autosave, but I never checked to confirm.

now I can't even figure out how to use monopropellant. Every single time my rocket just forgets any directionality I put on it as if it's just not programmed. 

I dock the same way in KSP2 that I did in KSP1. My suggestion would be to turn off SAS while using RCS, because SAS wastes a lot of monoprop and tends to reverse your attempts to manuever.

Is the game this broken for anyone else?

Yes, it is. I mean, certain things are par for the course for KSP like RCS with SAS just flopping around wasting fuel, but for the most part the game needs a lot of work before it's easily playable.

8 hours ago, Nicrose said:

I know this is a pretty negative post but I guess I don't know where else to vent my frustration. Sorry if this comes off as raging, I'm just sad. 

You don't sound like you're raging here.  There are definite bugs in the game.  I think this is all constructive criticism.

I just tried going to Jool and my entire orbital path just disappeared.

I know I've had this happen to me.  I don't know if there's a bug report for it.  I would report it myself, but I have no idea what causes it.  It's been pretty rare for me.

I tried strutting my rocket (for the second time because half of them disappeared) and both times if I used an upside down tank (like one to convert from one size to another but upside fown) it made it impossible to strut to. All of my struts would go through the entire ship and wouldn't work.

Yep, anytime you rotate a part from it's initial orientation and then strut to it, the struts will attach... in a very counter intuitive way.

Fairings are the hardest thing for me to work with. I can't ever get them to connect to the craft OR they are constantly "colliding" with something on the craft.

I think I know what you're getting at.  I am pretty careful about how I use them in order to avoid their current issues.  For one, I never use the "eye" icon.  It basically doesn't work.  I get the same spastic behavior frequently with it.  I tend to leave the faring off until I'm nearly done with the craft so I can see what's inside because of this.  The other thing I'll mention about fairings is there's an issue with adjusting the length/diameter of the sections.  It's like it's 1 step behind visually.  If you switch out of snap mode while adjusting it, this seems to go away.

Sometimes I can't delete fairings because when you pick it up the wrench icon is in the center of the piece but so is your cursor so when you hover over the trashcan, it just keeps hitting the wrench and makes it impossible to delete the fairing.

This is a known issue.  Pretty sure there's a bug report for this one.  Here's what I've found I can do when this happens.  Move the mouse to the corner of your view, this usually causes the mouse cursor to be just far enough off of the wrench icon that you can click to detach the part from your mouse.

Removing engines somehow increases thrust to weight ratio.

Not 100% sure.  But, this actually sounds normal to me.  Removing engines amounts to removing weight.  So I think it's possible that your overall thrust to weight ration could go up even if the thrust went down.

The camera constantly choosing orbital mode three times EVERY launch and forcing the camera to clip inside the craft seems like an odd choice, unless that's a bug and not a feature.

Pretty sure the camera clipping inside the craft is a reported bug.

So yeah, the game is pretty rough around the edges.  But I do want to say this.  I think alot of the issues stem from fundamental design issues that were carried over from KSP1.  Like the fact that we can clip parts inside of one another basically without any restriction.  I think a huge number of "bugs" come from that alone.

For what it's worth, I've actually been having a great time with the game.  With plenty of frustration from some of the things you've mentioned.  But, I've managed to get to basically every body in the system, see all the easter eggs, complete some challenges and more.

9 hours ago, Nicrose said:

I just tried going to Jool and my entire orbital path just disappeared.

51 minutes ago, Davidian1024 said:

I don't know if there's a bug report for it.  I would report it myself, but I have no idea what causes it.  It's been pretty rare for me.

There is a bug report for this.  It happens when the game somehow thinks the craft is landed (which it obviously is not if you are flying).  Not sure why, but perhaps you can check the bug thread:

18 hours ago, Nicrose said:

Okay, that was a lot, I know. But mind you, this all happened within a 2 hour play session after I haven't touched the game for weeks. At this rate, I don't think I'm going to be playing KSP2 anymore. The hype was real but this is so disheartening that I can't even participate in the weekly challenges and they tend to just bum me out, forcing me to wish that I could actually accomplish what the actual dev's are telling me is supposedly possible. I was really optimistic but I don't think the game will be playable for another year at this rate, especially after announcing that bug fixes are no longer a priority. Anyways, really hope I'm not the only one. 

EDIT: I know this is a pretty negative post but I guess I don't know where else to vent my frustration. Sorry if this comes off as raging, I'm just sad. 

A good portion of us are dealing with this right now; you aren't the only one :)

On 5/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, Nicrose said:

If you place 3 sets of wheels only the middle seems to make contact?

Were you playing with suspension settings? Because last time I checked, none of the wheels "appropriated" from KSP1 were rigged properly, so changing suspension stiffness would sink the wheel into the ground or raise the wheel above it, and steering would move parts of the model which aren't supposed to move, or those which are supposed to move but in the opposite direction. It's a clusterduck.

Thanks everyone for the kind and constructive advice!! I greatly appreciate it! 

On 5/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, Wetzelrad said:

I don't see how that would happen unless you placed them unevenly or unless the center of your vessel is so heavy that it's bowing.

1 hour ago, J.Random said:

Were you playing with suspension settings?

I made a very small rover with the standard small rover body and then attached the 3 small rover wheels and did not adjust anything with suspension before hand, only turning and breaking. I also put a beam on the side and made sure to snap-attach all of the wheels in the center. But somehow my craft kept teetering on the middle wheel as if the front and back tires were shorter. 

I think my final conclusion after reading everything is that I don't have enough patience to deal with all the lost hours of fighting the game and that while there are work arounds for many of the issues, remembering them in order to just play the game is just a bit too much for me. I am really looking forward to when the game is more fleshed out but I think it's time to shelve it, for myself anyways, and move on to something else. Thanks again for everyone's kind advice and I hope those of you enjoying the game keep doing so! <3

After reading the current Dev update I figured it would be a good idea to put my specs here. 

(I may be stupid but I can't figure out how to add pictures so I just looked at steam and got my specs from there)
CPU: Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5975wx 32-cores
CPU Freq: 3.593 GHz
CPU P Cores: 32
CPU L Cores: 64
RAM Size: 127.84 GB
Video Card: ASPEED Graphics Family (WDDM)
(My GPU is a 4090)
Video Driver: 9.0.10.110
VRAM Size: 64 MB

These specs are above the recommended. Performance-wise, if you're seeing slow framerates, it's because everyone's seeing slow framerates in that situation. Unless something's just straight up broken, which you'd probably notice, there's nothing wrong with that setup.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:45 PM, hansen said:

Yes, the game is fundamentally broken due to massive bugs and glitches of all flavours. The problem is not no your side, it is the game. You'd have much more fun with KSP 1 which runs quite well and offers more features when using mods.

But then modding is a crapshoot of glitches and crashes that makes KSP 1 as unstable as people claim KSP 2 to be. Pick your poison.

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

But then modding is a crapshoot of glitches and crashes that makes KSP 1 as unstable as people claim KSP 2 to be. Pick your poison.

They said KSP1 runs quite well, and in addition to running well, it also has mods that expand the features. They did not say "go play modded KSP1"

Edited by Meecrob

On 5/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, Nicrose said:

Video Card: ASPEED Graphics Family (WDDM)
(My GPU is a 4090)
Video Driver: 9.0.10.110

I'm sorry, what? How is this a 4090?

ASPEED Graphics Family (WDDM) gives me some cloud solutions and vague performance results without comparison to competitors. I don't know how you get the Nvidia 4090 comparison- these things are not the same.

12 hours ago, Socraticat said:

I'm sorry, what? How is this a 4090?

ASPEED Graphics Family (WDDM) gives me some cloud solutions and vague performance results without comparison to competitors. I don't know how you get the Nvidia 4090 comparison- these things are not the same.

Idk, I followed the instructions from what the devs asked for and this is what came up. I have an ASUS 4090. If I copy from dxdiag it says "Name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090", idk what steam was saying, hence the parenthesis. To be exact I have a TUFF 4090. I'd post pictures but tbh I'm too dumb to figure out how to do that without first uploading it to google drive and I really can't be bothered to do this every time I want to post a picture here tbh. 

EDIT: After reading your post again I thought I should mention I didn't "get" the comparison, I bought the 4090 and put it in my computer, so it's not a comparison, it's literal fact. Unless Microcenter scammed me of $1700 with a graphics card that can handle any game other than this one that I throw at it lol

Edited by Nicrose

26 minutes ago, Nicrose said:

Idk, I followed the instructions from what the devs asked for and this is what came up. I have an ASUS 4090. If I copy from dxdiag it says "Name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090", idk what steam was saying, hence the parenthesis. To be exact I have a TUFF 4090.

Sometimes I can't keep up...

Arc GPUs. Didn't even know that was a thing until a few months ago.

Aspeed what? Lol. 

On 5/7/2023 at 7:44 PM, Bej Kerman said:

This is just not true as a general rule.

It can be true if you install random FTL and distant solar system mods, but personally speaking I stick to normal parts mods (mainly some rover stuff, near and far future), ScanSat plus some graphics enhancements and my game is just as stable as unmodded, even on long playthroughs. The only real difference is that the startup time of the game becomes annoyingly long.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, Bej Kerman said:

I agree with  @MarcAbaddon. Personally, I run KSP1 with Real Solar System and quite a few other select mods. I always add one mod at a time and make sure it doesn't break anything, before adding additional mods. Basic good practice for mods in any game. I don't know how many thousand hours I have in KSP1, but it is considerable. Sure, KSP1 has its quirks and bugs, but once you know them, the game is highly playable and thoroughly enjoyable. At least that's my experience.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:01 PM, Wetzelrad said:

I noticed that if I ctrl+z, all struts will break, but if I ctrl+z a second time, they all return to positions. Not a perfect solution but it works when I need it to.

Yeah, I have to make do by only applying struts to upright parts.

I think this might be the autosave, but I never checked to confirm.

I dock the same way in KSP2 that I did in KSP1. My suggestion would be to turn off SAS while using RCS, because SAS wastes a lot of monoprop and tends to reverse your attempts to manuever.

Great tips! I'm gonna link them in the bug workaround thread when I get back from holiday.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.