Weekly Challenge # 19 - Put on an Air Show!

Dakota

• Community Manager

image.png

Hello Kerbonauts!

This week, we challenge you to....Put on an Air Show!

Primary goal: Fly an inside loop, an Immelmann turn, and a split-s turn

Secondary goal: Fly an outside loop, a barrel roll, and a hammerhead stall turn

Jeb-level goal: Fly under the R&D Bridge as fast as you can

Val-level goal: Fly under the parking garage bridges (from the water), under the R&D bridge, and then back through the parking bridges

Tim C-level goal: Fly a loop arouund the R&D bridge so that you pass under it twice in one maneuver

Good luck!

Why is this on my travel week... 

I'll submit something just for this challenge when I get back, but this is literally my Jam, so I'm putting these three vids here now.

Inverted flying challenge, looping the R&D Bridge twice, once inverted:

I managed to fly under the R&D bridge over 900m/s twice in one flight, then landed it:

And my demonstration of a "Cobra Maneuver":

The "OneOscar" Program built itself from the ground up with airshows... when I'm done, you'll need a challenge named after me...

I'm coming for this challenge in 2 weeks. Mark my words...

Edited by Socraticat
Chest beating

This I can do!

Spoiler

img%5D

Primary Challenge:

Inside loop:

img%5D

img%5D

Immelmann Turn: (Maybe some from the Split-S turn, they look pretty similar)

img%5D

img%5D

Split-S Turn:

img%5D

img%5D

Secondary Challenge:

Outside loop

img%5D

img%5D

Barrel Roll:

img%5D

Hammerhead Stall Turn:

img%5D

img%5D

Jeb-Level Challenge (351 m/s):

img%5D

Val-level Challlenge:

img%5D

img%5D

Weekly Challenge Complete (Minus Tim C.- level, couldn't achieve)

Spoiler

Bonus pic: Buzzin' the tower!

img%5D

After landing:

img%5D

Also, I appreciate the F/A-18 Super Hornet gets some love with it being put as the cover plane on the Weekly Challenge art.

Edited by TwoCalories
Added the rest

After missing the last two weeks of challenges due to the VAB crashing on me, usually within placing or moving just 4-5 parts, with version 1.3.0, I managed to create a simple plane without it crashing and was able to complete this challenge.  But, I tell you, this was extremely difficult without a controller to fly the plane.  I must have crashed and reloaded over 500 times to get one clean run of the Val challenge.

Air-Show tricks:
https://www.facebook.com/100000371147328/videos/pcb.6603933059629000/288624440307915

Val Challenge:
https://www.facebook.com/100000371147328/videos/pcb.6603933059629000/760525699137974

The shark is very unforgiving. I almost got it under the bridge.

wmUafmE.jpg

But I did at least get some loops in:

I tried buidling a plane based on a series of very successful designs from KSP1.  Interestingly:  it takes a lot more to get the same maneuverability in KSP2 than in KSP1.  I've noticed the Panthers are weaker and the gimbaling seems less.  I could fling the original around in a way I cannot do with the update.

1y3jgBj.jpg

sdTRITb.jpg

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry to say, the hammerhead stall turn wasn't a hammerhead.  You rotated via pitch, you need to rotate using rudder, and keep the airplane in the same plane

No problem :D Thanks for let me know... If someday I see someone doing it, I will retry. That's the best I could do from what I understood from some videos and descriptions.

I would pass the blame to everybody else (LOL) who just can't explain it as if I'm 5. I mean, check out this description:
"Enter at full power and maximum airspeed. Pull the aircraft up through a quarter loop into a vertical climb. The speed will decay but before upward motion stops firmly apply full rudder to yaw the aircraft through a cartwheel of 180° until the nose is straight down. Dive vertically to the same altitude as the maneuver started, then pull out, exiting in the opposite direction.[1]"

How the hell you "apply full rudder" ? :D

For non English speakers, that kind of text requires some research that's not easily available.

9 hours ago, vianna77 said:

No problem :D Thanks for let me know... If someday I see someone doing it, I will retry. That's the best I could do from what I understood from some videos and descriptions.

It is not an easy maneuver, and I understand your confusion.

9 hours ago, vianna77 said:

I would pass the blame to everybody else (LOL) who just can't explain it as if I'm 5. I mean, check out this description:
"Enter at full power and maximum airspeed. Pull the aircraft up through a quarter loop into a vertical climb. The speed will decay but before upward motion stops firmly apply full rudder to yaw the aircraft through a cartwheel of 180° until the nose is straight down. Dive vertically to the same altitude as the maneuver started, then pull out, exiting in the opposite direction.[1]"

How the hell you "apply full rudder" ? :D

The rudder keys are the A and D keys, the aileron keys are the Q and E keys

Rudder keys control yaw, aileron keys control roll.  

I found this video, which is an instructor teaching how to fly a hammerhead with a radio control airplane.  It's about 10 minutes long, and seems to be decent.  Ignore the stuff about the radio control, and try to replicate what he does with the plane

On 7/11/2023 at 7:54 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

The rudder keys are the A and D keys, the aileron keys are the Q and E keys

Oh, I see what I did wrong... I used W or S (can't remember) in my maneuver (which I think is kind of a "vertical split-s" I guess).

The correct would be A or D (at 7:48 in the video you posted) and he throws the airplane to the side and not to the front or back. 

Edited by vianna77

Finally back at my desktop, enjoying a little flight practice. Here's a little something-something for the official "Airshow" thread:

This should cover primary goal and Tim C. Level challenge. In my previous post I shared an Outside Immelman, Followed by an S-turn to double down on the Bridge. I don't know if all of that lingo checks out, but it'll have to do for now. Maybe there's a hammerhead stall here at the end, but it's weak. More of an intentional turn rather than a full stall- I suppose I could really assess the navball to find out back in the editor.

I've done a barrel roll before, but I found it to be super challenging without a stick. In fact, it was so tough I dedicated a mission to mating the maneuver with a demonstration by BruceAir (a way cool channel I happened upon doing research for the maneuver). I won't do a barrel roll again without stick support.

Since I don't intend to add to this weekly challenge unless by request, I'll go ahead and add my Ultimate Bridge Challenge submission- the only other published flight of mine under the garage bridges.

I had considered attempting the Val Level goal; I captured a failed attempt where I stalled too hard before coming at the bridges from oceanside. I had already cleared the R&D Bridge loop- but was concerned with fuel consumption. I'm certain that there's enough DV left to add the Val Level challenge to the above posted submission.

Range is the most difficult mission parameter for a "OneOscar" Biplane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.