Wings are Being Distorted on a Loading a Save or Revert to Launch.

Anth

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i9 9900K | GPU: Nvidia 3070ti | RAM32GB

Appears to have happened since 0.1.0.0

Frequency:
Not every time but regularly.

Steps to Replicate:

Spoiler
  1. Launch craft with wings.
  2. F5
  3. F9 or revert to launch until it happens.

Additional Information:
Looks like the F5 F9 might need to happen first before revert to launch does it as well.

Simple Craft Test for Over the Top Distortion:

Spoiler

More Complicated Craft to Show Side Distortion:

Spoiler

Video Evidence:
GliderEndWingDistortion.mp4

Craft File:
GlideAnth4.json

Additional Information:
Not just visual. It will affect crafts handling as well.
Is this a floating origin problem?

Edited by Anth12

29 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, InterstellarDrifter said:

It does affect aerodynamics

Removed the duplicate pictures and system specs after merging your bug report. That it does affect aerodynamics is important. Thanks for adding that.

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 | GPU: 1650 | RAM16gb

What I did before the bug occurred:

1. Started a fresh save on v0.1.4
  2. Flew around the KSC with a plane and reverted a few times
  3. Changed graphics preset from medium to high and hid the FPS counter
  4. Built a prototype Eve ascent vehicle and flew it to the Mun, reverted (also noticed a bug where Bob wouldn't stop freaking out in the EVA chair but I do not have enough documentation to submit a good bug report on that)
  5. Built an SSTO intended to be used for a one way Eve mission to test out stability
  6. Launched said SSTO:

LVSdPQa.png

At this point I noticed that the orbit lines had all disappeared:

rx2x4h5.png

This made it very difficult to plot a transfer, so I exited the game (quit to desktop and saved).

Upon reloading the game, my ship had transformed into this:

Q9Zk0AD.png

I have noticed the grey Kerbal portraits upon reloading a few times, unsure if that is related, but the main attraction here are the severely deformed wings. The wings are all the smallest wing part. The orientation of the landing gear leads me to speculate that it could possibly be related to mirror/radial symmetry.

The save I made before exiting the game is attached below.

This is probably not enough information to nail down an exact cause, but if anyone else experiences this, I'd like to leave a paper trail.

Included Attachments:

954850_20230830191907_1.png.f4e7ebff7d0ff96fd7c51cddad9b2f1b.png

autosave_3.meta

Edited by Anth12

Just had something similar happen when Ioaded a save (after having to shut down the game due to lack of trajectory line). The left/port wing appears to have shifted down, the tail has shifted slightly to the left/port, and the wing tips and control surfaces are distorted.

Twisted-plane.png?rlkey=tvbdixxu5yasoto1

Twisted-plane-2.png?rlkey=22axtgyx145m3u

Here's the zip file from the bug reporter:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/e3pm8vp16f7r6redogmxf/Changed-craft-geometry_logs.zip?rlkey=b4psvjazmh3pe6hr10z61n1x6&dl=0

Version: v0.1.4.0 | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i7-7700 | GPU: GTX1650 | RAM32GB

Edited by NaughtyMonster
Added version & specs

Reported Version: v0.1.4.1 (latest) | Mods: list was provided | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: W10 | CPU: i7-9700k | GPU: nVidia 1080Ti | RAM128GB

I have this sporadic issue since patch 3 and 4.

Included Attachments:

2023-10-1722_44_20-KerbalSpaceProgram2.jpg.6bbd670de83b631b00a931989aa05bec.jpg

Edited by Anth12

In an earlier version a plane I built ended up with similar wings after a circumnavigation at 4x timewarp, I assumed it was connected to the part misalignment since that also happened. Is it just a visual bug or does it affect the aerodynamics too? It gave mine a slight roll, but that could be the general misalignment and not the wingshape. 

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 64bit | CPU: 12900k | GPU: 4090 SUPRIM X LIQUID | RAM64GB corsair dominator 6000m/t DDR5

vessel wings are disfigured, appear broken, after a revert to launch after a crash, which this effects flight. Fix requires a revert to VAB and relaunch from there. This happens every time I attempt to reproduce the problem, and has been happening since 0.1.0

vessel does not matter, this happens with all vessels with wings/stabilizers/control surfaces.

LIXfqOx.jpg

Screenshot(3862).png.73e8153e0d63e919e4cd9038381726f2.png

Edited by Anth12

I published this back in May. I don't think I made a bug report because it was so regular that I was certain the team had to be on top of this. It didn't seem that difficult to recreate and it happened a lot while trying to fly through the garage. I think that sometimes the broken wings occur more often after a crash... but I crashed so many times during that challenge that my madness was focused on completion, not troubleshooting wonky wings.

I'm not a big UTuber or anything, so it probably flew under the radar, like this wrinkled "OneOscar" flew under the bridge back in April (Most relevant at last 20 seconds or so) - I published this one back in April.

This is all I have to add, so I'm not going to make a full report.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win10 Pro | CPU: i7-12650H | GPU: RTX4070 Laptop GPU | RAM16GB

I crashed my jet, pressed revert and the Plane looks like that. It does not happend every time, i had that issue 2 times out of 10.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | RAM8Go

i just bouted my (low spec) PC then my save were i had my plane had his wing warp^and and they didn't tuche the craft. wen i started to fly it did looping then crached.

loded the saime save 2 time and the bug caim back( screen chot V2)

sorry for the gramar i am french...

have a nice day (preparing the next up date) and thank for this game

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x | GPU: RTX 3080 | RAM32GB

Been running into this issue where the procedural wings are sometimes heavily distorted after reloading a save, but the rest of the vehicle is fine. This distortion affects the airplane's aerodynamics and usually results in the plane crashing. My airplane looks (and flies) like a crumpled can!!

If I reload the save enough, the plane will go back to normal, but it takes 1-10 times.

I don't know exact replication steps, but the most recent occurrence happened after save-scumming the same save file many times. I tried to reload an earlier save, but the aircraft was still affected by the bug. I noticed it often occurs after my craft has crashed and the cockpit is destroyed (meaning the mission summary screen comes up), but I don't know if that is just a coincidence.

It seems my issue is the same one people are encountering here: 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 | RAM32GB

Upon reloading my save file, the separator fearing/shell and wing parts do not log correctly and appear warped or offset.

Prior to saving and loading the save, I also noticed this same visual bug would take place if I switched to the tracking station and then back to the ship.

Additionally, the orbit display will not show correctly in map view. While my orbital speeds do save and load correctly, if I go to the tracking station and back to the ship, the orbit is basically nullified and my ship has a forward speed of about 200km/h

Finally, it may be relevant that the top half of the ship (the plane portion above the last separator) was originally built in a horizontal orientation and then rotated upwards 90degrees and the rocket was built underneath it.

Included Attachments:

NF-104-1-ZG-Boosted.json

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 | RAM32GB

Upon reloading my save file, the separator fearing/shell and wing parts do not log correctly and appear warped or offset.

Prior to saving and loading the save, I also noticed this same visual bug would take place if I switched to the tracking station and then back to the ship.

Additionally, the orbit display will not show correctly in map view. While my orbital speeds do save and load correctly, if I go to the tracking station and back to the ship, the orbit is basically nullified and my ship has a forward speed of about 200km/h

Finally, it may be relevant that the top half of the ship (the plane portion above the last separator) was originally built in a horizontal orientation and then rotated upwards 90degrees and the rocket was built underneath it.

Included Attachments:

NF-104-1-ZG-Boosted.json

Similar to the Wings save/Load issue Loading after a crash effects construction

Severity: Low, Will continue testing work arounds if I can assure repeatability 

Frequency: Med, re-producible within the same game with the same ship, will test more and edit post after.

Description: After reverting to an Earlier autosave after crashing my ship into the Mun, my ship was horribly disfigured and would no longer handle properly. I went far back enough to get a save where it was un bugged, but eventually when trying to play, I made a mistake crashed my ship again and then all the saves and auto saves had the broken ship after reload, I noticed it also displaced other items that were attached to the outside of the ship and not just the wings. I was able to get the ship to re-load correctly after going to the Mission control and then loading back into the ship through the tracker

Included Attachments:

moonmissionv2.1.json

Edited by DibzNr