KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

4 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

People skipping Steam/the launcher are always a minority, even smaller than the people on Epic. This has been the case for every game with skippable DRM and though I've got no numbers for KSP2's specific case, I doubt it'd be the exception.

Is this an opinion, or do you have data? I have no data, but anecdotally I know lots of people who play the game and to the best of my knowledge not one of them launches via Steam. This is an admittedly skewed data set since those I know who play are also mainly modders - not that most players are modders, but that's the group I mainly circulate in. But on the other hand, it certainly doesn't require any modding skill to be able to get around Steam, and I was doing *that* before I'd started modding.

4 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

There's no game without the 'business side'... So, I beg to differ.

I still have problems pulling quotes from different pages, but you can check the authenticity. In @PDCWolf own words:

Bit sad that after getting professionals and a big money publisher behind the franchise all our hopes have come down to "expect the same"

3 hours ago, Spicat said:

How is that changing anything to how much copies ksp were sold?? They know the numbers.

2 millions copies back in 2017 when they were bought

Following this trend, 5 millions make sense, why would they even lie?? If they want to charm investors, they have every reason to pump those numbers up.

I know that the current community argument is to say that everything devs said are lies but here it's not some promises, it would be Take2 lying to investors, and still it makes no sense to lie about those numbers even more by lowering them. (And legally it might be very bad)

So, from your first source it is 5 million at the release of KSP2 in 2023, 2 million in 2017, and I have a source here for 4 million in 2020: https://www.vgchartz.com/article/442363/kerbal-space-program-has-shipped-nearly-4-million-units-worldwide/ so it's 4 years (from 2013) to reach 2 million sales, 3 years more for another 2 million, and then 3 years for the final million. First off there's a weird speed up in the 2nd million sales, and second off, those numbers being correct means the biggest majority of sales is on Steam, or every estimate is dead wrong (which has so far never been the case, since they're so wide), or other storefronts and all console releases together got really low sales.

You should also remember that T2 doesn't report number of copies sold to investors, but rather a revenue number. You should also remember the recent BL3 "copies shipped" fiasco.

3 hours ago, schlosrat said:

Is this an opinion, or do you have data? I have no data, but anecdotally I know lots of people who play the game and to the best of my knowledge not one of them launches via Steam. This is an admittedly skewed data set since those I know who play are also mainly modders - not that most players are modders, but that's the group I mainly circulate in. But on the other hand, it certainly doesn't require any modding skill to be able to get around Steam, and I was doing *that* before I'd started modding.

So, you know about 50 people that skip the launcher, which all happen to be advanced users, yeah, that dataset has no use. Meanwhile (and very sadly) the sentiment for launchers on most popular platforms is largely ignorant, as in most people just don't care, and discussions or guides about it just go largely unnoticed. Sadly there's no "do you skip the launcher" obligatory poll for every player, and making one in this forum would probably be as useful as most of our discussions here. However here's some examples from very popular games where the issue is brought up and, for the size of the respective communities, goes unnoticed, in fact in some guides you can see visitor numbers and compare with most popular guides for that game:

If you happen to have worked in retail, or any sort of customer-facing position, just know that like 90% of a games sales are to those people, the clueless, largely uninterested, wants-to-go-on-with-their-life homo-sapiens.

Edited by PDCWolf

I think the business side of it is a very worthy topic of conversation!

The difficulty is that we have really little information to work with as the relevant data are business secrets. Also if you haven’t actually worked in the game industry you will have pretty big misconceptions about how the business side of it even works, and your speculation won’t be all that well founded.

Also KSP2’s business history has been highly unusual! I can’t think of any situations similar to the Uber/IG thing for example, and some industry gossip I’ve heard makes it sound even more unusual! Only conclusion I’m able to draw from that saga is that it shows an unusual degree of commitment to the game and the franchise from the publisher!

9 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

How many of those 9 million do you think were watching or have watched and didn't like what they see and moved on? how many of them actually went in and refunded? how many of them are still watching to see if it comes out as something they'd want to spend their money on?.

How many of them will base their decision on the current or historical numbers of others playing?

3 hours ago, Periple said:

The difficulty is that we have really little information to work with as the relevant data are business secrets.

This is true for almost any business, and the reason why I'm not fond of such discussions (basically the post above). In the end, you'll end up with something you like, or don't like, or nothing at all. Price tag, development team behind it, and money dumped into it, don't affect that.

5 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

those numbers being correct means the biggest majority of sales is on Steam, or every estimate is dead wrong (which has so far never been the case, since they're so wide), or other storefronts and all console releases together got really low sales.

Based on your previous message, 5 millions correspond to every estimation:

10 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

The highest estimates go from 6 to 10+ million copies on Steam alone, to which you have to add other storefronts as well. I think the absolute lowest estimate I saw for Steam ownership is SteamSpy's at 3.5 million. PlayTracker says 6.2 million. SteamDB's own review multiplication method goes from 4 to 10.4 million, and again, all of this on Steam alone.

SteamSpy: between 2 and 5 millions

Playtracker: between 5.58 and 6.82 (10% interval mentionned on the website)

SteamDB: as you said between 4 and 10 million.

So between 2 and 10 millions,  where do you see that "every estimate is dead wrong"? Even 4 millions would be correct by considering 1 million on console.

The most important question remains, why would they lie by lowering the numbers?

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

This is true for almost any business, and the reason why I'm not fond of such discussions

Not getting involved in things that you're not fond of will ALWAYS be better for you in the long run... Like, why stress yourself out over someone else's opinion of something you admittedly don't care about anyway? Probably better to let people vent and express themselves however they please and just enjoy the game yourself, no? It's all good if not but, if it was me, I just simply wouldn't engage with the things that grind my gears to such a degree... Which is why I barely engage with the forums anymore and, lets be honest, the forum would be all but a ghost town without the complaints of late!

In the end, you'll end up with something you like, or don't like, or nothing at all.

And, that is what people are trying to get their heads around, no? Trying to get from what we were shown for years to what we got at release... That will almost inevitably come with venting of frustrations, proclamations of lies and deeper dives into what could (theoretically) be happening behind the scenes. It's all just fairly tales and opinions from both sides of the discussion and it's just modern human nature to speculate on the negatives. 

Price tag, development team behind it, and money dumped into it, don't affect that.

Are you saying that these factors do not factor into the game dev? I'm not sure what you're referencing when you say this... To me, these three points are as important as the game code as the price tag effects the sales, the dev team effects the quality and the money dumped into it puts a finite lifespan on the product when taken into context with the previous two points.

The game just isn't for me, I really do not like it and don't plan to play beyond the 12hrs I've got into it until the roadmap is complete or they change something else pretty radical and I start seeing content being pushed out that interests me and makes me want to boot it up again. The community is fractured and makes discussion of any kind so damned difficult because everyone is too concerned with their quippy one liners or trying to convince others that what they think or feel is wrong... Hence the checkout on my part to a great degree.

21 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Not getting involved in things that you're not fond of will ALWAYS be better for you in the long run...

You've missed the point completely there... I don't like discussing topics where I have absolutely no sufficient information on... or a way to get them. Being pro/against some corporate buy/sells has no relevance to the game, and how it will turn out.

33 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

And, that is what people are trying to get their heads around, no? Trying to get from what we were shown for years to what we got at release... That will almost inevitably come with venting of frustrations, proclamations of lies and deeper dives into what could (theoretically) be happening behind the scenes.

I think it's actually possible to get some glimpse on what happened  with development (based on AMAs no less). But again, this is my guesstimate, and has no relevance on the state of the game, nor how it will pan out. It's totally fine to criticize the current state. There are at least dozens of things that I absolutely despise... And I'm not  even counting critical bugs in those things. That's EA. I'm more concerned about some design decisions, and whether they'll stay, or fly away...  

39 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Are you saying that these factors do not factor into the game dev?

Do they? Look what KSP 1 team accomplished... I'm expecting/hoping that bigger budget will bring bigger scope (that's the idea behind KSP 2 at least). They could've just removed wobbly-ness, slapped on graphics for good measure, and the game would be a resounding success. You set the scope first, and then estimate if you have a budget for it. If you proceed, that means the budget is no longer an issue, unless you totally bonkered the estimation. Are you capable of delivering that scope, that's what matters.

44 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

The game just isn't for me

For a 100th time... This isn't The Game. It's an EA. I haven't played it for more than a month now. I don't expect to play it properly for another year if this pace of updates continue. All I can do, is report a bug, like/dislike something that's already inside (part manager, I'm looking at you), and question some design choices. For example, why wobble is still a thing if it indeed can (?) be turned off...

13 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

I don't like discussing topics where I have absolutely no sufficient information on... or a way to get them. Being pro/against some corporate buy/sells has no relevance to the game, and how it will turn out.

I mean, it really does but we will agree to disagree.

14 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

I think it's actually possible to get some glimpse on what happened  with development (based on AMAs no less). But again, this is my guesstimate, and has no relevance on the state of the game, nor how it will pan out. It's totally fine to criticize the current state. There are at least dozens of things that I absolutely despise... And I'm not  even counting critical bugs in those things. That's EA. I'm more concerned about some design decisions, and whether they'll stay, or fly away...  

Again, that just you're opinion... And, there's no problem in that! Expecting people to fit those guidelines and discuss what you want them to, less so... We had years of a game just needing polish, I fail to accept "it's EA" as an acceptable excuse, especially when said EA was shoehorned in at the last minute. People have a right, as customers who have paid for a product, to express displeasure about ANY factor of the process they deem necessary. Agreement isn't a necessity but the freedom to do so is.

19 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Do they?

Yes.

20 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

For a 100th time... This isn't The Game. It's an EA.

It's the game they have presented and, as already stated, I personally do not find the "it's EA" argument to be a compelling one... You see a plan where others see lies, it's an important discussion to have.

3 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

I mean, it really does but we will agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I'll just ignore those comments from now on.

3 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

People have a right, as customers who have paid for a product

You know a car is broken, you still buy it, and it's somehow sellers fault for selling a broken thing.

5 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Yes.

Really appreciate the counter args.

It's the game they have presented and, as already stated, I personally do not find the "it's EA" argument to be a compelling one...

I can't argue further there then...

28 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

You know a car is broken, you still buy it, and it's somehow sellers fault for selling a broken thing.

How did we know the car was broken in the first place? Because they held one event with a few youtubers just before release? Again, not really a compelling argument... Especially when you're gaslighting consumers for the failures of the company to effectively convey information regarding a game they had been saying just needed polishing in the years previous. Honestly, if this information was conveyed to the consumer base before release and the dire state was there to see before purchase, I feel the backlash would be severely reduced, as would the sales... So, I would say the answer lies right there with that point.

33 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Really appreciate the counter args.

You think business decisions have no bearing on the dev process... I disagree. I'm not sure how further I can elaborate on that before it just descends into a war of opinions and viewpoints with thinly veiled personal attacks. It happens all the time and I refuse to engage in that nonsense.

36 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

I can't argue further there then...

Yes, neither can I... I'll end with what we CAN agree on: More work is needed and neither of us will revisit the game until changes are made.

How did we know the car was broken in the first place? Because they held one event with a few youtubers just before release?

A month before.

Again, not really a compelling argument... Especially when you're gaslighting consumers for the failures of the company to effectively convey information regarding a game they had been saying just needed polishing in the years previous.

If you check advertising for anything... and I do mean anything that is for sale, you won't find a single word about it being unpolished. Wait a little, read the reviews, do some research. How you've spent your money, is entirely up to you.

8 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

You think business decisions have no bearing on the dev process... I disagree. I'm not sure how further I can elaborate on that before it just descends into a war of opinions and viewpoints with thinly veiled personal attacks. It happens all the time and I refuse to engage in that nonsense.

I gave you my view on things.  And yes, you're correct that it's just a viewpoint... hence why I don't like discussing business related stuff. If my responses are giving you impressions that I want to start some flame war... *draws the keyboard-sword* Slay the infidels!!! I'm sorry, that ain't what I'm after. I'm just tired of reading doom and gloom predictions on things we have absolutely no information about. There's plenty of negative things to go around without it. Offer some constructive criticism there instead. The rest is beyond our control.

@Alexoff refund as an option blah blah... beaten to death... tired... 

Edit:

Actually, scratch that. Yes! Every unsatisfied buyer of KSP 2 has been victimized! March to courts immediately! Justice has to be served!
And a song to accompany the event: fst1Wprobs

Edited by cocoscacao

5 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

A month before.

So, yes then?

If you check advertising for anything... and I do mean anything that is for sale, you won't find a single word about it being unpolished. Wait a little, read the reviews, do some research. How you've spent your money, is entirely up to you.

If you didn't watch anything from that event then you'd have zero idea there were any issues as all the comms from the sources we were getting  (devblogs etc) were bigging up the game no end and telling us how much fun they were having playing it. I think we could both agree that this couldn't be the case, given what we were served... The money spent really isn't of issue to me... What made you buy the game and decide not to pick it up again for at least 12 months?

I'm just tired of reading doom and gloom predictions on things we have absolutely no information about. There's plenty of negative things to go around without it. Offer some constructive criticism there instead. The rest is beyond our control.

I don't believe I have gave the impression that I feel any differently to you in this regard... Though, I would say exactly the same about the overly-positive comments that we get too... All are operating out of opinion and we have no info to base any of it from. As consumers, we are able to say whatever we please about a game we may or may not like, as long as people are civil, it really shouldn't matter... I get bored of seeing the same thing over and over again too, I just draw the line and telling people to pack it in.

I just need to get all my thoughts about the KSP2 EA situation out, right here, right now. First things first, to all the people whining about how the game is so bad or whatever...

1. The developers never said the game was going to be perfect from the start.

Nate Simpson even said that, in his own words, "We're gonna get some things wrong. We're gonna make some assumptions that are incorrect. We're gonna fail out loud." Did he, or any KSP2 dev, ever say the game was going to be bug-free?

2. Making a new game and making a mod is completely different.

I've heard the argument that modded KSP1 is way better than KSP2, and that the KSP2 team aren't "real developers" because they can't even do things that modders can do. I'll be honest, I've never made any KSP mod, but its easy to see that adding features to an already built game is much easier than building a game from scratch. And on top of that, the KSP2 team is adding the features that would have come with mods in KSP1 to the base game. KSP1 may be nicer with mods, but it definitely didn't have KSP2's graphics on launch, which brings me to #3:

3. KSP1 was like this on its own EA, maybe even in a lesser state.

In KSP1's beta, there were no orbital mechanics, no Mun, no map view, no struts, no time-warp, and Kraken attacks still did happen. KSP2 has beautiful graphics, the whole revamped Kerbolar System, loads of parts, and time zoom. I'm not saying that KSP1 is bad, but KSP2 definitely has a head start. So why is everyone so much madder?

4. If you don't like it...

Then you can do two things:

1. Just not play it. Delete it if it takes too much memory, but you don't need to play it just to find reasons to hate it. Or...

2. You can figure out what you don't like about it, (this can be bugs, features, etc.) and make a post or something that breaks down the issues you've discovered, which gives the developers information to make the game better. Honestly, the QA Direction Darrin from the KSP2 team nailed it in this dev diary:

On 5/4/2023 at 10:00 AM, Intercept Games said:

Running into an issue is frustrating; I feel your pain. Trust me when I say, bugs drive us just as crazy as they do you (honestly probably more, because we need to retry them over, and over, and over!)   But when you find an issue that is important enough to post about – you can do it one of 2 ways:

A. “This game doesn’t work!  I can’t play!!” 
(end of message)

Or

B. “This game doesn’t work, here is some info and specific steps of what I was doing – please fix it!!” 
(adds a bunch of information we can work with)

Maybe the KSP2 team isn't ignorant. Maybe you're just not voicing your concerns in a way they can respond to.

5. The KSP2 team is very passionate despite what you might say.

In just a couple months, they gotten rid of the worst game-breaking bugs in the game. They've listened to our concerns, they're not denying the game has problems, and they're actively working to make the game better. They aren't lazy, despite what you might think. Dataminers have gone through and found tons of nearly-finished assets in the game's coding. Perhaps they were truly a few steps away from the finish line until they got forced into early access.

6. Do not be toxic.

There's are those reasons above why being toxic and complaining isn't reasonable. And it's getting out of hand, too. Once, I was trying to watch a Youtube video about KSP and was greeted with the youtuber rambling about how KSP2 sucks and that the KSP2 devs aren't real developers. In a KSP1 video.

Remember when KSP2 went on sale for the summer? I remember seeing all those posts from people jumping to conclusions that Intercept Games was so desperate they put KSP2 on sale only a few months after launch. It's a Summer Sale. If you're in such a toxic mindset, you'll constantly see bad things in the developers and their actions, even when they intend good things.

Well, that's about everything that I've had bottled up inside of me after seeing all these toxic posts for months on end. Hopefully people will understand what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, TickleMyMary said:

If you didn't watch anything from that event then you'd have zero idea there were any issues as all the comms from the sources we were getting  (devblogs etc) were bigging up the game no end and telling us how much fun they were having playing it.

Regular advertising. No whiskey commercial will ever tell you that you won't become a chick magnet without a hideous headache next morning. You need 3rd party sources. That's normal.

overly-positive comments that we get too...

and I'm questioning those too on occasion...

I just draw the line and telling people to pack it in.

It gets progressively harder because it dissolves into speculation (or even more ridiculous stuff, check a few posts above). Those with positive opinions usually end up with something like: "You can't know that yet", which is fair assessment... I can't.

As an example, my biggest worry is the implementation of calculating heat transfers, electric and fuel consumption on so many active vessels. I have no idea how that can be done. There's a whole thread on it, where a few members contributed with their thoughts. I'm still in the dark regardless. Probably my ignorance on the subject. If so many people are committed to see that implemented, I guess they have some idea how. Or all of that talk is just cat urine, and the game will cease development at some point... But now we're getting back to speculation.

I hope more dev diaries will be released...

21 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

They, as in PD, did not sell most of those copies themselves. Sure, they own the franchise now, but those sales are 90% a merit of the previous owner.

Ah yes, the glorious days of Squad, so much better than Intercept Games and those greedy people at TakeTwo and Private Division. Those were the times! Aaaah, the good old days, if we just could turn the time back a few years and only have KSP1 in this world. 

2 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Regular advertising. No whiskey commercial will ever tell you that you won't become a chick magnet without a hideous headache next morning. You need 3rd party sources. That's normal.

I honestly didn't catch the event until after I had bought it and purchased solely on what I'd heard via interviews held with various youtubers over the years... I seem to remember one interview with Matt Lowne, Chris and Nate shortly before release that, in hindsight, should have spoken volumes to me as it highlights most of the real issues to be had with the release so far, including the comms strategy.  Again though, it really is what it is... The money is neither here nor there, it's the erosion of trust that kind of grinds my gears as it has ultimately lead the community to where it finds itself today... Fractured, defensive and disinterested.

3 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

and I'm questioning those too on occasion...

I'm not one for extremes at any end of the spectrum to be honest... I'm no hippy but man does everyone just need a cup of tea and a cuddle.

It gets progressively harder because it dissolves into speculation (or even more ridiculous stuff, check a few posts above). Those with positive opinions usually end up with something like: "You can't know that yet", which is fair assessment... I can't.

Probably an unpopular opinion but... I'd put that down to (for the most part) the level and quality of comms we are getting. They're vague and uninformative in my opinion, you rarely know if or when they're coming, what format they'll take and rarely show anything of substance that people can sink their teeth into or get excited over. People can only really operate with the info they have and if that is lacking, it's human nature to try and fill in the gaps... They really haven't helped themselves with the strategy so far imo, whether that changes is down to the staff but it's not something I'm going to concern myself over either way. 

As an example, my biggest worry is the implementation of calculating heat transfers, electric and fuel consumption on so many active vessels. I have no idea how that can be done. There's a whole thread on it, where a few members contributed with their thoughts. I'm still in the dark regardless. Probably my ignorance on the subject. If so many people are committed to see that implemented, I guess they have some idea how. Or all of that talk is just cat urine, and the game will cease development at some point... But now we're getting back to speculation.

I have my feelings on how it will go but I hope to be proven wrong... 

I hope more dev diaries will be released...

Same... The frequency and quality of them is exactly why my faith is currently non-existent for this to be seen through to the end... With the recent steam reviews hitting 40%, they need to get on with this asap imo. 

4 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

3. KSP1 was like this on its own EA, maybe even in a lesser state.

In KSP1's beta, there were no orbital mechanics, no Mun, no map view, no struts, no time-warp, and Kraken attacks still did happen. KSP2 has beautiful graphics, the whole revamped Kerbolar System, loads of parts, and time zoom. I'm not saying that KSP1 is bad, but KSP2 definitely has a head start. So why is everyone so much madder?

KSP 1 started as one guy's side project that he worked on in his free time because he was genuinely passionate about it.
KSP 2 started as a sequel to a known IP, published by a massive publisher, with an established studio full of actual developers working on it, with specific goals for the game established right from the start. After 5 years of development time, you'd think they'd be a bit further along.

Additionally, KSP 2 was, for 90% of the time prior to its release, advertised as including all of its promised features at launch, and the first anybody heard of a feature-limited early access period was four months prior to its release, AFTER (should we forget) the game was delayed by three years.

Yes, it's technically true that both are early access games. But when viewed in a wider context, it becomes blatantly obvious that one is an actual early access release, while the other reeks of a studio frantically shoving out whatever unfinished code they had with a sticker on it saying "it'll get better, trust us!" in an attempt to make money.

21 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

That's how I knew it was broken.

You have to accept that your experience doesn't necessarily reflect others though, yes? As I have said previously, if somebody didn't catch that event then that certainly would not have been apparent.