KSP2 AMA Series - Chris "Nertea" Adderley - 8/17 10AM PST on KSPTV - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Dakota

Earlier on, I got the impression that there was going to be the potential for vessels/stations with truly massive part counts (far greater than KSP1, which would choke really hard on larger craft), but, as it stands right now, optimization is not at the point yet where you can go very far with part counts. Assuming I was not misunderstanding, is this still going to be a thing eventually, at least by 1.0?

What was the transition like going from being a modder (or, more honestly, a pillar of the modding community) to working on the development team?

Hello Chris Adderley. How detailed will the reentry VFX be, on the vessel's parts? Will we be able to see the heat propagate relative to what part of the ship is hitting atmosphere the most? (As in, will there be a glow on the entire vessel that spreads as atmosphere becomes more dense, in a reentry? Or will the heating visuals display in every single parts of the vessel individually?)

Thank you and fly safe-ish!:D

Hey Chris, 

• What are your hopes for the future of KSP2?
  • As a fan-favorite modder turned developer, what's one particularly memorable or satisfying moment you've experienced while working on KSP2 that you'd like to share?
  • What steps is the development team taking to make KSP2 accessible and appealing to new players who may not have played the previous game or are new to the genre? 

Hey Chris,

Can you give some more detail on the supply route system? Can you automate the construction of supply vessels, or does a vessel have to be built to assign an automated route to it? In other words, when the route is finished, does the vessel have to be intact?

Also, will metal to build basic rockets and methalox fuel be limited in the early game, or will there be infinite fuel on Kerbin? If so, how is this balanced against the ability to send an arbitrary number of refueling ships to a colony, as opposed to what I think you probably want to encourage, which is ISRU?

Hi!

In KSP1 some realism enhancements can be achieved with a relatively simple MM patch,  because those mechanics are already in the game,  but not used in stock (i.e. engine spool up time, throttle depth limits). Are there any realism mechanics that you wanted to put into KSP2,  but couldn't because of the gameplay balance? Any of those that you or somebody else sneaked in for config tinkerers to find? What are the limits of stock realism options and will there be something extra under the hood, in a space between stock and full blown mods?

Hi guys, I have a couple questions to ask, and I also posted these questions on the Discord for the AMA. Feel free to pick any one!

1. Hi Chris, first and foremost, thank you for your time today! Since grid fins are confirmed for KSP2, could we also potentially see Telescoping Landing Legs(like on Falcon 9 and New Glenn(I believe)) in KSP2 as parts the player can use for reusable boosters?
  2. How closely does KSP2's team follow developments in the aerospace industry? Does it help you guys come up with ideas for parts or other features to add in KSP2?
  3. If you were to add another class of spaceplane parts, what would they be based off of? I can see something like VentureStar, Star Raker, or a something more like a traditional airliner(747, 737, A320,  A350, 777, etc.). Could we potentially see the addition of a linear aerospike as a usable part for SSTOs?

4. What's your favorite part of the game to work on?

5. Have you and a couple of other team members thought how reusable vehicles should be managed and if they need to be repaired or refurbished in between flights? Can the player also select which pieces are to be recovered, repaired, and reused(think Falcon 9's or New Glenn's First Stages, Super Heavy, The Shuttle's SRBs, The Shuttle Orbiter, or Vulcan's Engine Section)?

6. Could we see space telescopes like Hubble and James Webb make their way to KSP2? Will they have the ability to be repaired/serviced on orbit and also collect science the player can use?

Edited by NovaRaptorTV
Wanted to add a header for this one, and make the whole thing read better.

Nuclear Thermal Propulsion and Nuclear Electric Propulsion used together is theorized to be an extremely efficient means to travel interplanetary. 

1. Is there any Nuclear Electric Propulsion engines in the works to replace the Xenon engines?

2. How will we gather resources like anti-matter?

55 minutes ago, Falki said:

Are there plans for life support to be added at some point in some form? Like food, water, oxygen?

I believe the devs have said that is not in the cards. I suspect there will be a supplies system for colonies, but for individual ships, I don’t think so.

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

Are there plans for sea/underwater exploration parts and science probes? KSP is an abbreviation for Kerbal Submersibles Program after all...

Having built SunkWorks and submarine parts for Buffalo 2, I second this. I know it's Kerbal Space Program, but if there was more to do underwater (explore anomalies, go fishing, learn about oceanography, build colonies, etc.), I'd love to see boat and submarine parts. If nothing else, boat parts would be a great addition to KSP - possibly as a DLC - for use in capsule recovery craft.

For Chris:

- KSP 1 and 2 currently has the Shuttle cockpit for large space planes and aircraft. As a concept designer, how would you go about designing a second Mk3-class cockpit part for use in airplanes?

- How detailed do you go into when creating concept parts? Do you unwrap & paint them like a modded KSP 1 part?

- Just how do you pronounce "Nertea?"

- Though not exactly parts, how would a modder create "parts" for kerbals to wear and use in KSP 2? Jeb needs SCUBA gear, and Bob would like a tricorder...

- When creating part plugins for KSP 2, are there any considerations for kerbal skills? Will kerbal skills appear in KSP 2?

-Will You adjust the consumption of Xenon Engine? As it consumes too much EC everytime i used, 10 points per second. Will you adjust it accordingly? 

-Will larger version of Xenon Engine be available in the future update?

-What Science (Temperature, gas pressure, magnetic field, atmospheric composition, surface composition, etc) can we investigate for each planet, moon and Kerbol, and other stars? 

-What Science equipment can we use for detection and exploration> 

-Will near and far future engine and fuel from KSP1 make a comback to increase Delta V (Efficicency) for interplanetary and Interstellar travel? 

- Will Jump Drive, warp drive and FTL travel make a comeback via modding? (I know there is no such thing for an official unmodded version) Just like what KSP1 does 

Edited by kennyc222