The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (5th)

Posted (edited)

@damerell would it be acceptable to make the following modifications to my Kerbin Elcano boat?

• Keel with ballast bulb and rudder
  • Panthers in place of Wheeselys
  • Air intakes replaced with low-speed intakes

Edited by Akagi
hey llok new page; linked report

20 hours ago, Akagi said:

@damerell would it be acceptable to make the following modifications to my Kerbin Elcano boat?

• Keel with ballast bulb and rudder
  • Panthers in place of Wheeselys
  • Air intakes replaced with low-speed intakes

If I read the thread correctly, you've only got about 200km from the start, and this doesn't sound like too drastic a modification, so I think I'm OK with it (although I look forward to seeing the new craft).

I am finally back home and can catch up on some of these timelapses.

Posted (edited)

I've got one more for ya:

Also I think probably scratch what I mentioned about my Eve ideas; I was wondering if I could glitch a propeller boat underground using bendy-tech timewarp shenanigans, and do a completely aquatic eve circumnavigation instead of doing part of the trip on land.

I made a boat design that could hit like 70m/s, so we'd be talking about like <18 hours for the circumnavigation potentially. But for some reason, propellers stay in place and don't stay connected to the ship when it straightens itself out when activating time warp??? So I just can't find a way to get propellers underground, which makes the whole plan kinda not work at all. My only other thought is trying to construct the propellers on the boat in EVA after getting underground, which already sounds super janky and hard to keep balanced, but the kerbals also just explode when they get out of the crew cabin underground.

Idk, I'll probably look into it some more but I'm not feeling optimistic at this point. And it might be for the best anyway, 'cause it feels like it might run aground of the "breaking the spirit of the challenge" rule-

Edited by Ianwubby

OK, I've watched all three timelapses. It must have been exasperating to clobber the Minmus landing module with the command module like that. Given the lack of life support considerations, I'm surprised you did rove in the dark rather than waiting for the dawn.

Last question - these are all stock? I didn't see what looked like any modded parts.

3 hours ago, Ianwubby said:

I was wondering if I could glitch a propeller boat underground using bendy-tech timewarp shenanigans

I'm going to have to nip this one in the bud and say that this is definitely not permitted. Sorry.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, damerell said:

It must have been exasperating to clobber the Minmus landing module with the command module like that. Given the lack of life support considerations, I'm surprised you did rove in the dark rather than waiting for the dawn.

The clobbering wouldn't have been that bad if I'd thought ahead to put an SAS module on the lander - I've never really used that landing cabin before and didn't realize it doesn't have any in-built SAS, which is why I ended up using so much RCS fuel and opted out of a normal rendezvous-and-docking at the end of the mission.

And yeah it probably would have been a better experience waiting until dawn, but I wanted to try for relatively fast times as well, and waiting hours for the sun to rise would have made that metric a lot worse lol.

Last question - these are all stock?

Sorry yeah I forgot to mention it, all of them are stock.

I'm going to have to nip this one in the bud and say that this is definitely not permitted.

No worries, perfectly understandable.

Edited by Ianwubby

On 5/27/2024 at 2:08 AM, Ianwubby said:

Minmus elcano complete as well :)

Final time is a lovely 3 hours 51 minutes. I'll be getting a timelapse of this up as well pretty soon, I know this isn't a lot of pictures to go off of.

5BSMAQ8.png

Flag path (kinda hard to make out):

p8XFCqd.png

Approximate route (traveling from east to west; each flag is represented by a little circle, and signifies ~30 minutes of driving):

RRJppf7.png

I'm not sure what I might wanna go for next; I've got potentially controversial ideas for Eve, and Gilly could be nice to tackle along with that, but maybe Duna/Ike would be a nicer pair for me to start with.

Where's that Minmus map from? I want to use it for my circumnavigation now.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 11:02 AM, Ianwubby said:

and do a completely aquatic eve circumnavigation instead of doing part of the trip on land.

Hi ! -->  @MythicalHeFF did a totally aquatic circumnavigation of Eve, if I remember correctly. (see just 1 or 2 pages before the link below)

Edit : My memory isn't good, he passed over strips of land, so it wasn't all water. (page 7)

On 5/29/2024 at 11:02 AM, Ianwubby said:

So I just can't find a way to get propellers underground, which makes the whole plan kinda not work at all

If you look at the details of my circumnavigation of Eve, you'll see that it's possible to pass under the South Pole while floating on the Explodium Sea without using a glitch. I'm not sure if this will help you, but there was no problem with the propellers, even underground.

/--/--/--/--/--/

Haven't posted anything here for a while, but I haven't given up on my ‘one launch, all biomes, all circumnavigations’ saga: the craft is up and running and I'm taking my time, with breaks that can last for months.
I'm currently at the end of Laythe's circumnavigation, having completed Kerbin, Minmus, Mun, Duna and Ike, and got 71 biomes so far, or about 48% of the total.

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

/--/--/--/--/--/

In the meantime I've also circumnavigated Kerbin in 5h34 IGT (new world record ^^ sorry MythicalHeff) and lots of other things: KSP is the best game. ;)

Spoiler

Edited by Pouicpouic

I haven't really had the time to do a full Elcano but boy do I love designing long-range rovers.  Here's the latest design I made:

It's got elastic suspension on each tire, with a hinge-mounted docking port for long-range navigation.  It's probably the sturdiest rover I've ever built that actually looks like a normal rover and also works well in a vacuum.

craft file

On 6/4/2024 at 9:25 AM, Pouicpouic said:

Haven't posted anything here for a while, but I haven't given up on my ‘one launch, all biomes, all circumnavigations’ saga

Good timing, I finally got around to updating the scoreboard for @Ianwubby's impressive achievement.

On 6/4/2024 at 1:21 PM, RoninFrog said:

It's got elastic suspension on each tire, with a hinge-mounted docking port for long-range navigation.  It's probably the sturdiest rover I've ever built that actually looks like a normal rover and also works well in a vacuum.

Bouncy, albeit rather alarmingly disconnected. How's the docking port work? I infer it's used in conjunction with holding prograde, but that only seems to give you some kind of pitch control.

6 hours ago, damerell said:

How's the docking port work?

Let's me hold a yaw heading with SAS while still being able to adjust pitch for slopes.  If I hold surface prograde it sort of auto-steers along the equator while still aiming up and down hills, kind of like an autopilot.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:00 PM, Kimera Industries said:

Where's that Minmus map from? I want to use it for my circumnavigation now.

It's from https://ksp.deringenieur.net/! You can view maps of all the celestial bodies; I just zoomed out on the Minmus map and took a screenshot and cropped out the UI stuff, and then manually drew in the path in Paint-

On 6/4/2024 at 3:25 AM, Pouicpouic said:

If you look at the details of my circumnavigation of Eve, you'll see that it's possible to pass under the South Pole while floating on the Explodium Sea without using a glitch. I'm not sure if this will help you, but there was no problem with the propellers, even underground.

Ooh, that certainly does look like it could get around the issues I was having. I imagine it would still fall afoul of the rules, but I might do an unofficial underground run using that anyway just for the fun of it. Thanks for bringing it up!

On 6/9/2024 at 10:37 AM, damerell said:

Good timing, I finally got around to updating the scoreboard for @Ianwubby's impressive achievement.

Thank you!

Edited by Ianwubby