Buoyancy in For Science!

Vl3d

I'm very excited and impressed by the idea that we may be able to build boats and submersibles.. ekranoplans. At the very least the water will have physics and the docks will have gantries and cranes to fly through. Maybe there's also stuff at the bottom of Vall's lake now. Thank you dev team!

BOATSBOATSBOATSBOATS.png.b3057ab18871385

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, softweir said:

Ground effect is notoriously difficult to simulate with reasonable realism. I guess it could be fudged, but then would an Ekranoplan work?!

KSP aerodynamics aren't all that realistic to start with. I think a simple fudge would do it. There's a KSP1 ground effect mod that does this and it's good enough for the user story. Just add a coefficient to the vertical component of lift when approaching the ground and call it a day...

10 hours ago, Periple said:

They haven’t said anything about ground effect. It would be nice though!

Nothing is stopping you from building a Caspian Sea Monster, they're a lot of fun but kind of hard to hold down to a reasonable altitude to feel like you're sea-skimming. That's a problem with KSP's aero sim...

• Community Manager
29 minutes ago, HammerTyme said:

Can’t wait!  Also.. where are you getting these awesome screenshots from?  I saw you posted in another thread some cool work in progress images as well. 

For water gameplay I mostly want to have cool places to explore - to find stuff at the bottom of oceans and lakes, parts to build floating ships, submersibles to get there and be able to transport other vehicles and resources.. and some basic scuba capabilities for kerbals. We should take into account pressure limits of course, viscosity and buoyancy depending on liquid type.

@Abelinoss posted this on Discord, he has more ideas about it:

Abelinoss | Elephant Poweredb9c63b14532e2dff257f4717391a3e6d.webp?siToday at 9:34 PM

I think that it'd be great if you give water parts that allow to build any kind of ship. That being from the speedboat size, all the way to an atlantic cruiser. Meaning tiny motors all the way to huge propellors And the other thing that is really a big please is submersibles Here's a list of random ideas:
  • Sonar, for science collection
  • modular parts that easily stack so you can make actual ships.
    • (basically the ability to make something like an aircraft carrier, or any ship for that matter, without having to use thousands of panels and struts)
  • storage parking that can descent into the ship to store planes / helicopters (pls add helicopters)
  • see image. a combination of propellers and rudder
  • deployable mast + sails (so you can sail the seas of Eve or Laythe. I really want that)
  • surface attachable propellors for easier steering of huge ships
  • High pressure parts for submersibles
  • Submarine tower
  • ballast and pumps (@DibzNr )
  • The yellow deep sea submersible scientists use. For science
  • Parts that allow construction of Launch Platforms at sea
  • Parts that allow launches from inside the water (Sea Dragon rocket)
  • kapybaras
  • Anchors
  • Emergency boats
  • Ice breaker (in case you manage to do freezing sea water)

15 hours ago, Vl3d said:

For water gameplay I mostly want to have cool places to explore - to find stuff at the bottom of oceans and lakes, parts to build floating ships, submersibles to get there and be able to transport other vehicles and resources.. and some basic scuba capabilities for kerbals. We should take into account pressure limits of course, viscosity and buoyancy depending on liquid type.

@Abelinoss posted this on Discord, he has more ideas about it:

Abelinoss | Elephant Poweredb9c63b14532e2dff257f4717391a3e6d.webp?siToday at 9:34 PM

I think that it'd be great if you give water parts that allow to build any kind of ship. That being from the speedboat size, all the way to an atlantic cruiser. Meaning tiny motors all the way to huge propellors And the other thing that is really a big please is submersibles Here's a list of random ideas:
  • Sonar, for science collection
  • modular parts that easily stack so you can make actual ships.
    • (basically the ability to make something like an aircraft carrier, or any ship for that matter, without having to use thousands of panels and struts)
  • storage parking that can descent into the ship to store planes / helicopters (pls add helicopters)
  • see image. a combination of propellers and rudder
  • deployable mast + sails (so you can sail the seas of Eve or Laythe. I really want that)
  • surface attachable propellors for easier steering of huge ships
  • High pressure parts for submersibles
  • Submarine tower
  • ballast and pumps (@DibzNr )
  • The yellow deep sea submersible scientists use. For science
  • Parts that allow construction of Launch Platforms at sea
  • Parts that allow launches from inside the water (Sea Dragon rocket)
  • kapybaras
  • Anchors
  • Emergency boats
  • Ice breaker (in case you manage to do freezing sea water)

Note that this was in response to Nertea asking us for ideas about water parts. He said he'd take notes.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:29 AM, Vl3d said:

I'm very excited and impressed by the idea that we may be able to build boats and submersibles.. ekranoplans. At the very least the water will have physics and the docks will have gantries and cranes to fly through. Maybe there's also stuff at the bottom of Vall's lake now. Thank you dev team!

BOATSBOATSBOATSBOATS.png.b3057ab18871385

Live specimens of the leviathan that left its bones on Laythe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.