For Science - MUN Landing, how to prevent tipping over when kerbal exits ?

trichert

No problem getting to the MUN or landing, but there is no where on the MUN completely flat, so my kerbal is always doing some type of attitude maintenance to keep the rocket from tipping over if i have him step outside, the whole thing falls over.  How do I prevent this?  I'm doing for science so i have limited part options.  

Generally, designing the first Mun landing craft is tricky, because you have no fairings and tiny fuel tanks. I usually go with making the cfaft lower but wider. 

Edited by cocoscacao

Test

On 1/3/2024 at 8:44 AM, trichert said:

No problem getting to the MUN or landing, but there is no where on the MUN completely flat, so my kerbal is always doing some type of attitude maintenance to keep the rocket from tipping over if i have him step outside, the whole thing falls over.  How do I prevent this?  I'm doing for science so i have limited part options.  

The easiest thing to do is to make a wider lander. Put 3 or 4 small fuel tanks connected to the center stack, put nose cones on top, and then put the landing legs on those fuel tanks instead.  

I ran into this recently - sometimes when starting EVA, there's an unpredictable impulse force exerted on the craft.  In my case it was a wide, short lander on a very flat munar mare.  Hit EVA, and a phantom force appeared that knocked the whole thing over.  Y'all might remember the EVA glitch drive (kerbal walks upward on a ladder into a fixed object, and generates phantom force), this looked like that

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

I ran into this recently - sometimes when starting EVA, there's an unpredictable impulse force exerted on the craft.  In my case it was a wide, short lander on a very flat munar mare.  Hit EVA, and a phantom force appeared that knocked the whole thing over.  Y'all might remember the EVA glitch drive (kerbal walks upward on a ladder into a fixed object, and generates phantom force), this looked like that

I’ve noticed this as well. It has to be a bug. It feels like transferring from one ladder to another is borked. The legs are also really spongy for my taste even when the turned all the way up. 

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I’ve noticed this as well. It has to be a bug. It feels like transferring from one ladder to another is borked. The legs are also really spongy for my taste even when the turned all the way up. 

Just getting out of the command pod causes the Kerbal to put an incredible amount of force on the vessel, which of course defies physics, so that is definitely a bug.

I find the easiest thing to do is bring 2 Kerbals or a Kerbal AND a probe core, and land in the sun so you can keep your reaction wheels holding upright even with a Kerbal EVA'd on the surface.

At least, that worked in KSP1. Haven't tried it in KSP2.

The physics loading at transitions still needs work, for sure. Exiting a craft, landing near a craft, switching between craft, all cause phantom physics. It has gotten better than "launch 80 meters" or "deorbit the craft".

Yup. Definately a bug thats been in the chats since last release.  I've had craft that when landed on flat surface less than 2 degree grade.... the exit door is facing downhill....  when the kerbal exits the craft tilts and falls over.... UpHill!!  So Kerbals be taking some serious steroids.

Its a bug, you can mitigate it by immediately hitting space after your kerbal exits the craft to have them let go of the integrated pod ladder, which prevents them from transferring offset phantom thrust onto the side of the lander

Edited by Proply

On 1/4/2024 at 4:28 PM, Pthigrivi said:

^^^This post (credit where credit is due)

Edited by saxappeal89129

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, ItsBog said:

I've figured it out. All you have to do is hit the space bar to let go of the craft the very instant that you EVA. - ItsBog

Then you have to be careful so your not to early and stage leaving you with the capsule on top of the rocket, now you could add some empty staging events to make this easier. 

For some reason I don't have this issue :) 
gX0fOIJ.png
Now adding wheels to it instead of legs works well. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:
14 hours ago, ItsBog said:

I've figured it out. All you have to do is hit the space bar to let go of the craft the very instant that you EVA. - ItsBog

Then you have to be careful so your not to early and stage leaving you with the capsule on top of the rocket

Naaw that's a perfect use of F5.

And unlike when you're about to dock, hitting F9 to try again doesn't send your craft flying off away from its target.