Whats your Kapy Rock Mission Strategy?

Superluminaut

I took a crack at it. The plan was a suborbital hop. The result lacked precision... and accuracy. Shakes fist at atmosphere.

How did you all get the lander can to the rock?

Any great solutions for a targeted decent in an atmosphere?

I attached the pod to a plane and flew over to the rock. Landing was very rough because of the surrounding terrain. Managed to land a few hundred meters away and rolled over to the rock in my destroyed plane. Next time I would try to separate the pod with chutes when flying over the rock. 

Went for orbit but did a return burn long enough so that reentry was nearly vertical. Reducing accuracy issues. But then the lander was actually a rover so I just drove the few kilometers to it. I tried using a plane earlier but got bored after 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Went for orbit but did a return burn long enough so that reentry was nearly vertical. Reducing accuracy issues. But then the lander was actually a rover so I just drove the few kilometers to it. I tried using a plane earlier but got bored after 30 minutes.

Did the same, launch rover into orbit did an braking burn. 

3 hours ago, Bingmao said:

I attached the pod to a plane and flew over to the rock. Landing was very rough because of the surrounding terrain. Managed to land a few hundred meters away and rolled over to the rock in my destroyed plane. Next time I would try to separate the pod with chutes when flying over the rock. 

And here I thought I was being smart.

The Internet: Reminding you that you're not special since 1995.

Edited by stephensmat

That's how I did the other landmark. Landed VERY carefully in the flattest area I could find in those mountains (thankfully my plane had super low stall speed so I could land without the need for long "runway") and just slowly jet boosted my way towards it. But I only used a plane because it was sooo much closer to KSC.

18 hours ago, Superluminaut said:

I took a crack at it. The plan was a suborbital hop. The result lacked precision... and accuracy. Shakes fist at atmosphere.

How did you all get the lander can to the rock?

Any great solutions for a targeted decent in an atmosphere?

I did a suborbital hop with a lander thst used jet engines. It was very difficult and I probably should have just used a plane.

I put my lander can in orbit, changed the orbit’s inclination so I’d pass through the rock’s latitude, then plotted a maneuver node that would have me overshooting by many hundred kms, because the atmosphere cuts the descent arc short. Plus you have to lead the target to account for Kerbin’s rotation.  Then I saved and reloaded ten times until i landed about 1 km away. No rover, so i just walked the 1 km. Tedious, but it was good practice in pinpoint landing.. Next time i’ll try a rover and less save-scumming.

Edited by Mister Spock

13 minutes ago, Mister Spock said:

I put my lander can in orbit, changed the orbit’s inclination so I’d pass through the rock’s latitude, then plotted a maneuver node that would have me overshooting by many hundred kms, because the atmosphere cuts the descent arc short. Plus you have to lead the target to account for Kerbin’s rotation.  Then I saved and reloaded ten times until i landed about 1 km away. No rover, so i just walked the 1 km. Tedious, but it was good practice in pinpoint landing.. Next time i’ll try a rover and less save-scumming.

I always thought the lander can has also to be at the rock. It would have been a lot less frustrating to walk over there from my landing site as rolling the landercan over the dunes :o

9 hours ago, Apogee-23 said:

I did a suborbital hop with a lander thst used jet engines. It was very difficult and I probably should have just used a plane.

Exactly! I'll post a video in a bit, I'll show you what I did

Edited by Meecrob

I've been thinking about the issue and I'd love to see KSP2 step up on the landing problem.

There was an atmospheric trajectory mod for KSP1 that was very accurate. Targeted landings are possible, the proof of concept exists. It was a fairly light weight mod too.

I'd also love to see a the ability to pull up a landing map that projects where the orbit will pass over the surface, maybe 2-3 orbits out from present time. This would also be helpful for science.

30 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

My strategy currently involves ignoring the mission.  I don't plan on doing this until at least after the Duna monument.  And at that, I may just wait until all primary story missions are done.

The 600 science is sweet however. And its no reason not to use to much force. Build an pretty beefy upper stage with 2.5 km/s dV in orbit and you can cancel the orbital velocity and correct on the way down.
The second one was worse as terrain is very hilly. Here I used an 6 wheel rover with an roll cage. 

I ignore the Lil-chunker for now, the big an husky one on the other hand give some science and will be an fuel depot in Duna orbit once I put it back into orbit :) 

On 2/11/2024 at 3:02 AM, Meecrob said:

I'll post a video in a bit

Apologies for the 720p. Potato computer here. I'll finish editing the rest tomorrow.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:18 PM, Superluminaut said:

I've been thinking about the issue and I'd love to see KSP2 step up on the landing problem.

There was an atmospheric trajectory mod for KSP1 that was very accurate. Targeted landings are possible, the proof of concept exists. It was a fairly light weight mod too.

I'd also love to see a the ability to pull up a landing map that projects where the orbit will pass over the surface, maybe 2-3 orbits out from present time. This would also be helpful for science.

Mechjeb has one who is pretty accurate, now it depend on flight profile and accuracy went down a lot if you used an high Pe. It also has an option to show trajectory in on screen who is very useful trying to land close to an object. 

If you fly exactly due south from KSP at Mach 0.8,  about 1.5 hours later (mission time) you will end up very close to Kapy Rock. 

I figured I'd start the campaign over again. So this is my low-tech plane with lander can. The vertical stab is on the underside of the vessel to allow for a peril-free drop.

Of course, no Kerbal mission is complete without an explosion. There is an explosion in the video. :D

qqsRAnq.jpg

Almost to Kapy Rock!

bvoutPU.jpg

Video of the approach and drop!

Edited by rogerawong

On 2/15/2024 at 9:13 PM, rogerawong said:

Video of the approach and drop!

Awesome job! your plane is a bit slicker than mine...I obviously abused clipping a bit. In my defence, I didn't have the science for a bigger cargo bay.

On 2/15/2024 at 9:13 PM, rogerawong said:

1.5 hours

My flight time is about 20 minutes. I'm getting through the editing, here's the next installment:

Edited by Meecrob