"Great American Eclipse" II: April 8 2024

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Woke up to glorious blue skies! 

Super excited 

Turned on the TV... 

They said the storm in Texas is headed our way. 

What the hell, Texas!?! 

I predicted deceptively blue skies in the morning for Dallas. Those clouds will come up from the south...

I'm heading NE for the edge of Arkansas, where hopefully only some thin cirrus clouds will be.

11 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I predicted deceptively blue skies in the morning for Dallas. Those clouds will come up from the south...

I'm heading NE for the edge of Arkansas, where hopefully only some thin cirrus clouds will be.

Yeah - we're heading north and west as well.

Wife grumbling "we're gonna be stuck on the side of the road somewhere".

I'm all, "So what?  The show is in the sky; anywhere we can see totality is amazing!"

Her, "I care."

(Know what that means?  I care, now, too.)

Madly googling "Parks" in small towns along the road.  Forecast suggests a path between Columbus and Bloomington Indiana should be between the clouds.  

Anyone ever heard of "Stoney Lonesome" or "Gnaw Bone" Indiana?

I got .y equipment set up but the eclipse isn't total for me just around 50% wish y'all the best of luck!

45 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Woke up to glorious blue skies! 

Super excited 

Turned on the TV... 

They said the storm in Texas is headed our way. 

What the hell, Texas!?! 

Ya, tomorrow there a big storm in Dallas that's why I didn't go. 100000+ cars in a Texas thunderstorm isn't safe(I'd have still gone if it was up to me)

You know that scene in “Contact” where the outside of the VLA is a total party?     Yeah, that’s here.    But the pic doesn’t do it justice.    Just the 2 hour line to get into he museum.  

mFbcRGm.jpeg

Man what a great day for it. Totality goes right over our house in VT, just hoping it takes less than 2h to get home from work with the highways clogged.

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 minute ago, Pthigrivi said:

Man what a great day for it. Totality goes right over our house in VT, just hoping it takes less than 2h to get home from work with the highways clogged.

Having looked at the map, and seeing the influx of traffic at this location, and knowing how many large metro areas are all going to be fleeing to your area…….leave work now.   Just go.    Abandon ye all hope.     Leave.   

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Can anyone give me cardinal directions for where to look for the comet? 

Jarhead style if possible - aka 'to the left and up a bit' kinda thing. 

Google says "just beneath the moon".. maybe? Edit: no, thats where it will be on April 10th. Today it should be 6 degrees west of Jupiter and 24 degrees north east of the sun, if you've got one of those star-chart apps on your phone. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Can anyone give me cardinal directions for where to look for the comet? 

Jarhead style if possible - aka 'to the left and up a bit' kinda thing. 

Astronomer Dave Weixelman told the outlet that “the comet will lie just 6° west of Jupiter and about 24.5° northeast of the Sun.” During the brief period of totality, sky gazers can observe the bright green comet using a pair of binoculars.”

So…… facing to the south…. Left and up a bit of the sun? 

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Astronomer Dave Weixelman told the outlet that “the comet will lie just 6° west of Jupiter and about 24.5° northeast of the Sun.” During the brief period of totality, sky gazers can observe the bright green comet using a pair of binoculars.”

So…… facing to the south…. Left and up a bit of the sun? 

No I'm even more sad I missed totality

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Yeah - we're heading north and west as well.

Wife grumbling "we're gonna be stuck on the side of the road somewhere".

I'm all, "So what?  The show is in the sky; anywhere we can see totality is amazing!"

Her, "I care."

(Know what that means?  I care, now, too.)

Madly googling "Parks" in small towns along the road.  Forecast suggests a path between Columbus and Bloomington Indiana should be between the clouds.  

Anyone ever heard of "Stoney Lonesome" or "Gnaw Bone" Indiana?

If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy....

Good luck, everyone. I look forward to viewing all of your amazing photographs from the comfort of my couch. :D

49 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy....

Good luck, everyone. I look forward to viewing all of your amazing photographs from the comfort of my couch. :D

I found a Brewery in Columbus Indiana - hopefully perfect! 

Well... Except for the light haze that's moved in... 

Still-much better than rain! 

I've got a cool shot from a pinhole eclipse viewer I made - will post it after getting home to the PC (imgur doesn't like my phone. 

Just a test shot - but cool 

5 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Niagara falls is keeping its trolling to the max. :mad:

Clouds as far as the eye can see.

Yeah, I saw the projected crowd for today months ago, and went nope, I’ll just keep driving.   All those people spent so much money to be there today and nada.  

10 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Yeah, I saw the projected crowd for today months ago, and went nope, I’ll just keep driving.   All those people spent so much money to be there today and nada.  

That was the whole thing for me. Between crowds and clouds I decided to take a pass.