Vertical Speed UI meter is displaying a different speed from what it should be

Jeq

Bug Report

18 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Vertical speed needle doesn't show corresponding values for flight.

20 hours ago, MechBFP said:

How do you know what your vertical velocity is that you can say that is wrong?

I can see altimeter from sealevel and use distance/time to determine vertical velocity

By the way this happens with airplanes when moving horizontally, havent tested if this happens when moving just up and down.

Tested and this happens with moving up/down  only, too, as shown in video.

Edited by Jeq
Tests done

...300m/s would be close to supersonic... I`d expect your plane moves very close to level and the miniscule climbrate at this speed is correct.

But i may be wrong about this, no problem. The navbal would show a negative angle of around 30 degrees if your statement is correct.

Or the hud is refering to the topographie beneath the plane?

Edited by Mikki

5 hours ago, Mikki said:

...300m/s would be close to supersonic... I`d expect your plane moves very close to level and the miniscule climbrate at this speed is correct.

But i may be wrong about this, no problem. The navbal would show a negative angle of around 30 degrees if your statement is correct.

Or the hud is refering to the topographie beneath the plane?

Picture is just showing vertical speed at 0 position to clarify which needle i meant, making sure vertical speed text is shown when mouse is hovering on top of it. It doesn't show this problem,  which would need video about it. I encourage people to check it out itself.

Added video to make problem more clear.

Edited by Jeq

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5-11400F | GPU: GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM16GB

As shown in the screenshot, my ship is landing with two parachutes.
It is going down visually, and surface speed is 8.2 m/s.
However, the vertical speed is displayed as zero by the Vertical Speed meter, while I expect it to be like -3m/s or so. It cannot be zero as the ship is going down.

Included Attachments:

CZ2.json

On 12/22/2023 at 8:12 PM, mattihase said:

To me it feels like the baseline value isn't 0 but is about -10.

Could be. If  its baseline value is -9.81 then it might show current gravity experinced towards planet and not velocity + its exponents is shown wrong.

Edited by Jeq

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

I know the scale is logarithmic but the numbers don't match the real speed.

Vspeed: real VS shown
Real Shown
+600m/s +100m/s
+300m/s +15m/s
+100m/s +4m/s
-20m/s ~0m/s
-100m/s -3m/s
-200m/s -7m/s

Photos with Micro Engineer for speed measurement. Bug also happens in stock:

Stock images:

Spoiler

Edited by Anth
Added zipped files

@Jeq Moved this out of the archive.

@Abelinoss merged yours with this one.

Discord changes its links so your pictures will only work for a little while.

Can you please reupload them in a new bug report and and mention me in the bug report and link to here?

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

I consider it a bug due to its functionality is borderline useless and i don't consider it a suggestion when its function is so limited.

Both speed and alt is on a 1000m system, to move up the dial for speed by one number you need accelerate by 1000m/s or -1000m/s, for alt its 1000m, 

I find it broken that you are required to move at such an astounding speed to see the speed dial to move the slightest amount in this video 7000m/s which is only from 000 to 007!!!

I believe it shouldn't be this high of a number and should be in the 100 m/s and when below 50m/s it should be 10m/s for the speed dial on the left it works perfectly for the altitude but it simply cannot function as a speed dial/tape.

Mods you can move this to suggestions but i consider it a bug (remove this if needed)

This video was sped up by 2.5x and also once in space used time warp under vehicle acceleration, and almost everything on the right side gave you some movement indication of how fast X is going, where on the compass you are at, and "orb" almost everything gives you a sense of what it is doing besides the speed dial/tape.

Included Attachments:

Conflcitingiq.mp4