Some Improvements on the Way

On 4/25/2024 at 12:30 PM, EvelynThe Dragon said:

They need to stop dumbing down this game. A lot of the functionality I used to rely on (fuel flow priority anyone?) has been removed.  Don't protect me from myself. I might actually have a pocket full of clues and have reasons for wanting to do things I am no longer able to do in KSP 2

Kinda agree on this one. One of my biggest fears for development directions is that is gets too simplified. Being able to do things simply on default settings is great, but removing the ability to do things at all is a bit of a let down for me, and I guess a lot of ksp1 veterans. My initial expectation for the game was all of ksp1, but better, and then more. I originally justified buying the game since I waited on the expansions so long I was deciding between the two. I figured that those features would have to included in the base game of 2 and I might as well get in on the EA. 

I'm curious what the motivation to play will look like when the game is more fleshed out. Like, will it still feel like it does now where you kinda do the missions and then it feels over / less compelling, or if colonies etc will feel a bit more minecraft or something. Part of the feeling done right now comes from already having done basically everything I'm willing to put the time in for in ksp1 (jool 5, land on all the bodies, max the tech tree, etc), and not feeling a need to repeat it in 2 without something driving it. 

Overall stoked for this update, happy to see more performance and visual improvements. I check for these updates periodically, and seeing substantive update is always a bit of a high. 

I'm also curious how colonies will be structured. In ksp1 the whole fun of it was planning something out and figuring out how to get it there and assemble it, but then it was done. Building it in a VAB type environment seems like it trades that bit of fun for scalability and hopefully something more that I'm not appreciating right now. Like maybe base planning (thinking of old school rts games) mixed with a more serious clash of clans-esque build up over time as resources accrue. building with the terrain could be really fun. Making an orbiting station though seems less compelling to me. Like, add fuel tanks and docking ports and living space and a refinery maybe and then do what? seems like launching orbital stations is still the way to go for gateway type stuff. Maybe not for orbital colony ship construction? IDK

1 hour ago, ccbeastie said:

Making an orbiting station though seems less compelling to me. Like, add fuel tanks and docking ports and living space and a refinery maybe and then do what?

And then start manufacturing spacecraft to launch it from orbit, without having to deal with atmospheres, launch vehicles and all the work to get into orbit. As the saying goes, if you reach the orbit, you're halfway to anywhere - you get that first half for free.

Edited by The Aziz

On 4/25/2024 at 3:10 PM, NexusHelium said:

You gonna change your happiness meter? I know I am :) 

yep and some people wont this.  but hey  you do not have to build it if you don't wont it.   one day in the next 10 years we well build on another planet.  and where going to need that space station.   

5 hours ago, ccbeastie said:

Making an orbiting station though seems less compelling to me. Like, add fuel tanks and docking ports and living space and a refinery maybe and then do what? seems like launching orbital stations is still the way to go for gateway type stuff. Maybe not for orbital colony ship construction? IDK

You are aware that we have EVA construction in KSP1, right?  Which, if I am correct (and I could be wrong) would be the foundation of a VAB-type atmosphere for orbital colonies.  All that time people spent in KSP1 fixing broken satellites and attaching new parts to craft outside the VAB is simply orbital construction with a different name.  It's just that the type of construction you'll do in KSP2 in this environment will be very similar to what you are capable of doing in a ground-based VAB.  Again, I'm speculating this based on what I'm hoping we see.

As far as what to add?  That's no different than building a space station in KSP1.  What function do you want it to serve?  Do you have mods that add life support or give other parts that you don't have in stock?  Is it a fuel refinery?  An orbital launchpad?  A waypoint simply to say "The crew needs a few days of R&R before moving on"?  That's all up to you to determine.  And whatever you define is what determines what you add.  My guess is that we will absolutely NEED orbital colonies/launchpads in order to even think about going interstellar.  I mean, unless you want to try launching a billion-ton mega-ship from the surface?

looking good! 

KSP forums : "wow I love these clouds, good work devs"

Steam forums : "Those stupid devs, their horrible, oh my god I hate them, those clouds are ai generated."

(Me personally,  I'm on the side of "good work")

8 hours ago, KerbalD said:

looking good! 

KSP forums : "wow I love these clouds, good work devs"

Steam forums : "Those stupid devs, their horrible, oh my god I hate them, those clouds are ai generated."

(Me personally,  I'm on the side of "good work")

Calling the dev's work AI generated? That's a new one!

On 4/26/2024 at 3:44 PM, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

It’s a shame it’s an incremental patch after all this time.

I see more people worried about the content and lack of updates related to things to do in the game vs the  people worried about graphics and performance .

The good part is at least now we now know what to expect which imo is not a lot, but a bit better communication than before.

Colonies sounds like it’s not coming soon, which is expected but to me it still reads like it’s an earlier stage than I expected with some here claiming they saw hints in the game code and that colonies was almost done since last year, but of course this hasn’t been confirmed by you but it’s a funny rumor to spread around nevertheless.

this is about non-colonies stuff. They are mostly working on colonies

On 4/26/2024 at 5:30 AM, EvelynThe Dragon said:

That is how it should have been from day 1. They need to stop dumbing down this game. A lot of the functionality I used to rely on (fuel flow priority anyone?) has been removed.  Don't protect me from myself. I might actually have a pocket full of clues and have reasons for wanting to do things I am no longer able to do in KSP 2

It seems so. I love the improved visuals, but I want solid game play too.

I mean, its more complex on things they've actually worked on so far vs ksp 1 (maneuver nodes, different fuel types, science/missions).
Its definitely not a conscious decision, more about just being in development. E.g. fuel flow is still a thing, but its harder to do.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:03 AM, Screeno said:

Oh yes exactly.  Fuel flow stuff , commnet, heating (skin and internal temperature) and jet engines not using kerosene are my gripes I can come up with.

Of course,  fuel flow mechanics should work just like they do in ksp1. Don't know why they didn't by default.  

Commnet simply should just be implemented just as it was in ksp1. I don't see why not. Dumbing the game down any more is not fun. 

I don't know why temperature is not skin/internal and only a global temperature per part.  There's a lot more interesting gameplay to be had when it's like that. It was by default in ksp1, so why not now. 

And now on to jet engines. 

The only jet engine that should use liquid methane is the rapier. Like the irl (concept) sabre engine uses LH2/LOX

Turbojet/turbofan engines in real life do not use cryogenic liquids as fuel. Whiplash, Cheetah, Goliath, Wheesley and Juno are all in this category.  There should be jet fuel available.  Which could just be labeled as pure kerosene for simplicity. 

So therefore think there should be fuel switching for standard tanks between LCH4/LOX, LOX,  and  "generic jet fuel" as well of course procedural wings that can be loaded with fuel. 

Not talking about hydrogen tanks for the nuclear engines, monopropellant, or xenon gas for ion engines as those are separate things, aka special tanks for specific fuels. I mean all the big standard fuel tanks that currently only take LCH4 and LOX

All bipropellant rocket engines in ksp use LCH4/LOX and I feel that is fine to be that simple. 

But it makes no sense at all for airbreathing engines that aren't the rapier to use cryogenic liquid methane! 

Tldr All tanks that can currently hold LCH4/LOX should be able to switch between that and a "jet fuel" which should be what Turbojet and turbofan engines should have to use. 

everything except the jet fuel thing are planned. The jet fuel thing is disconfirmed because they want it to work like ksp 1 in gameplay.

On 4/26/2024 at 10:12 PM, The Aziz said:

JmJ7dSm.png

Leeky leeks from people digging through code few weeks ago

holy moly

Looks like there are some good ideas on how to use orbital colonies. Excited to try it all out, and excited for the patch. those clouds look to deliver on the sweet trailer scene of val flying the plane out of multilevel (?) clouds

@mattihase (On my work-PC, I cannot tell if that image is useful or not, nor if it survived the copy-paste... if not, just go back to the original post)

On 4/25/2024 at 3:20 PM, MARL_Mk1 said:

Well, Dakota just said on Discord that some of the things shown on this post won't be coming on 0.2.2.0 though, so likely those will be bundled with Colonies, unless there is another patch between 2.2.0 and Colonies

1FGwW1N.png

2 hours ago, mattihase said:

Are the clouds actually stated to be in 0.2.2 or are they a 0.3 thing?

It think that the majority of the things talked about in this post won't be in the next update.

32 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

It think that the majority of the things talked about in this post won't be in the next update.

Then what exactly was the point of the post?

"Hey, we know you wanted more communication, and we're sorry for not being better at it.  To make up for it, here's a list of the stuff we are working on for an upcoming patch.  We aren't sure which patch, nor do we know when it will drop."

On 4/28/2024 at 1:45 PM, KerbalD said:

Steam forums : "... those clouds are ai generated"

OMG COMPUTER GENERATED CLOUDS IN A VIDEO GAME :D

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Then what exactly was the point of the post?

People were asking for something.

...I can't think of the word. I think it was...

Oh yeah. Communication.

The point of the post was communication.