The game failed because...

Posted (edited)

What truely made KSP1 big durring early acces was it early  support for plugin modding. Despite having a much higher budget, this seems to be lacking mostly with KSP2 .  Without proper modding support, moders are not incentivised to improve on KSP2 like they did for KSP1.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/1/2024 at 5:17 PM, Vanamonde said:

Lots of personal attacks going on. They've been removed. Please keep it civil. 

The mods have really had a lot of work in damage control recently. I do admit I've been part of the problem, good luck.

1 hour ago, T1mo98 said:

The biggest reason it failed for me was them changing things from KSP1 that didn't need changing.

I'm big into building rockets, less big into long and intricate mission, and to me the biggest hindrance to my enjoyment of the game was all the stuff they changed in the VAB.

Fairings:
I cannot get used to the new way to build fairings. It's buggy, takes way too many clicks to use and refuses to let me close them whenever I tried to use them as interstages or the like. 
Also I cannot seem to find a way to disable angle snapping on them so I cannot make smooth gradients because it always snaps to 90 degrees when I get to close.
This more than anything has been an absolute dealbreaker.
Having it open on mouse-hover also works far worse than in KSP1.

Staging:
It's also buggy, sometimes I just doesn't react to my mouse clicks or doesn't swap stages when I'm trying to move them around.
The readability is also just way, way worse. Having the actual stages float with your mouse when you move is infinitely better than the red and green dotted lines that KSP2 has. 
I have no idea why they'd change this.

Parts Manager:
It has a place in the game, but NOT as the right-click menu.
When I right-click on a part, I want the options for just that part (and it's symmetries), not the entire part list. I slows down performance and massively clutters up the screen.
It's also annoying having to close it every single time manually.

Camera Controls:
I prefer the controls of KSP1, but that's just a matter of knowing them by heart after 2k hours playtime. The issue with KSP2 camera controls are just that they're so buggy, with my camera randomly re-centering on my craft whenever I don't want to.

Craft Saving:
I thought the old system was simpler and more streamlined in usage. I massively prefer individual craft files categorized by folders instead of cramming multiple crafts into a single workspace.

Part Variants:
I sorely miss part variants, especially the Bare engines because they make building good looking rockets so, so much easier and in general make rockets look better when combined with Engine Plates.

1.875m Parts:
By far the best parts to build good looking rockets with imo. The gap between 1.25m and 2.5m is just too big and these parts fit perfectly in between. I hate that they didn't add this size into the game.

CommNet:
Removed the line-of-sight feature from the first game and taking away the ability of celestial bodies to occlude the radio signal, reducing the immersion.
They seem to have decided to make all antennas work as relays, effectively removing the need for the big satellite dish parts.

Navball:
The main tool for flying a rocket, they moved it over to the left for aesthetic reasons but by pushing it over to the peripheral vision made it less readable at a glance. 
They changed the color scheme from the very readable blue and brown to the more darker tones, making it far less clear, plus the tough to read font numbers.

Kerbal Specializations:
I was always hoping to see what they'd do with individual Kerbals, whether they'd build on 'Pilot', 'Engineer', 'Scientist' skill levels from the first game. 
Instead they seemed to have removed them all together, the Kerbals are basically homogeneous.
Maybe this was due to something they had planned for Colony 'boom events', maybe we'll never know. Right now it seems like a regression.

Science Collection:
Collecting all the temperature, pressure, seismic, mystery goo readings etc. could be tedious, but simply adding in a 'Do Science' button instead was just dumbing down.

Docking:
Always buggy since release, they never seem to have bothered including a docking interface or IVA view to aid the process.
They also never included any tutorial for docking whatsoever. Was this just an oversight, or did they never plan for rendezvous and docking to be a part of the new-user experience?

Maneuver Tool:
Always seemed clunkier than in KSP 1, and lacked a way to precisely adjust the dV.
It also had problems to be placed in a second SOI, making gravity assists hard to plan. Whether this was a bug or was indeed "Working as Intended", perhaps we'll never know.

Music:
I kind of like the new music for each planet, but couldn't they have included the title theme from the first game? Simply as a nod to the original?

There's bucket loads more of these. They changed a whole bunch of things that really didn't need changing. Why fix what aint broke?

52 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yeah, some people also like Sonic 06 and ET for the Atari.

Well... Go on... What's your point?

What's not my point?

52 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

And... Some people play KSP2, it just happens that it is much less than the playerbase of KSP1 on a daily basis.

And they both happen to be a bit broken.

26 minutes ago, Westinghouse said:

The main tool for flying a rocket, they moved it over to the left for aesthetic reasons but by pushing it over to the peripheral vision made it less readable at a glance. 

The old navball obstructed your view, especially at lower resolutions.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

What's not my point?

I was hoping for more than "people play other games"... My bad for expecting something of substance, I suppose.

And they both happen to be a bit broken.

Again... The issues faced between the two games aren't comparable as, 99.9% of the time KSP1 works like a dream for me and I have a great time playing... Whereas it's just not the same for KSP2, it's a souless mask of what could have been if there was an ounce of talent in the room.

The old navball obstructed your view, especially at lower resolutions.

There's a fix for that, just because it came from the community rather than the developer matters not to anybody who finds the navball obstructive and finds themselves with the tools at hand to change that.

Mods are what gave KSP1 its longevity and ultimately, its seemingly ill-fated sequel.

Edited by TickleMyMary

22 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The old navball obstructed your view, especially at lower resolutions

No.  The navball obstructed your view.  I thought it was fine where it was.

25 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

No.  The navball obstructed your view.  I thought it was fine where it was.

Counterpoint: screenshot from Matt Lowne's playthrough of KSP Enhanced Edition. I wasn't present with Lowne when he took this screenshot so I can assure you I'm not the common factor here. Look how far he's zoomed out in order to see the ground directly below the engine.

FlmXMC6.png

3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

FlmXMC6.png

That's a console only edition though... So, it's not apple for apples and effects a drastically lower number of users... Also, how far would you have to zoom if the PAW was there or the notifications? It would be unplayable.

Just now, TickleMyMary said:

That's a console only edition though

PC users may find reasons to play games at a lower resolution or larger UI scale as well. In the latter case, people with visual impairments for example.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

PC users may find reasons to play games at a lower resolution or larger UI scale as well. In the latter case, people with visual impairments for example.

So, what is it? Are you blaming the game for something the developer hasn't done or are you mad that the mods available on the PC aren't on console? Either way this is a dev issue, not the game.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Are you blaming the game for something the developer hasn't done or are you mad that the mods available on the PC aren't on console?

Really weird thing to ask a PC user, but I'm saying that putting the navball in the middle is a bad idea and that it scales way better if it's placed to the side.

Edited by Bej Kerman
typo

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Really weird thing to ask a PC user, but I'm saying that putting the navball in the middle is a bad idea and that it scales way better if it's placed to the side.

*To you.

Also, you're the one posting pictures of the console edition to convince people that it's an issue... It probably is an issue on console but having never played it, I don't know or care. I have never played at less than 1080p so, again, I neither know nor care for the 'issue'.

Edited by TickleMyMary

2 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:
12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

*To you.

*To a lot of people.

Just now, TickleMyMary said:

*To a lot of people.

You say that but I'm not hearing the vocal majority to be honest... Just you.

You should have been around when it was discussed more often.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Oh the good old days eh!

It's not an issue and there's a mod to fix almost any problem you have, so, with the greatest of respect to everyone not in that position, I really don't care about the "issue" as it doesn't effect me.

Posted (edited)

KSP2 failed because the team lacked the ability to deliver almost all of the promised features and updates. 

Completely mismanaged project,  where the teams skills were either not utilized properly or they completely lacked the skill altogether. 

EA was a hobbled together project that lacked any sort of refinement or passion. Even the small details completely overlooked, such as parts of the same size having a different number of faces and not visually matching up. Down to the big core details, such as ferrings doing nothing at all, and maneuver lines disappearing. 

Update frequency was a joke. It felt like 2-3 people working on this game in their free time, not a full blown studio. When asked for better more frequent communication the team failed again and hid behind the two CMs to deliver their poor excuses and dodge all accountability.

Zero passion, low effort, deferred accountability. This felt like a school project, where you pick all your friends to work on it with you. Come time for presentation day, you realize that you fooled around the whole time and have nothing to show. 

If anyone is left in the studio to read this, what on earth were you doing with all of your time? 

Edited by Icegrx

1 minute ago, TickleMyMary said:

I really don't care about the "issue" as it doesn't effect me

Then you're not able to discuss how a legitimate issue with the UI affects other people, right?

5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You mean when it was overtly exposed that most people agree it should be in the middle where your eyes are and not taking your eyes off the action? because @TickleMyMary was there (The link goes to page 94 at max messages per page, might vary).

3 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

You mean when it was overtly exposed that most people agree it should be in the middle where your eyes are and not taking your eyes off the action?

"most people agree it should be in the middle", if you ignore the people who agreed it should be to the side.

10 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Then you're not able to discuss how a legitimate issue with the UI affects other people, right?

Yeah, I was there and remeber the majority landing on being in the middle was logical and the best placement for the majority of players involved in that discussion.

I'll discuss whatever I like to thank you very much, including, but not limited to, the correct placement of the navball.

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I won't deny that there are people who have an issue with the placement and/or size of the navball in KSP1.  However, a lot of us, myself included, don't have an issue with it.  And there are mods for PC that correct issues people have with it.  I can't speak for console because I don't play on console.

Just so happens a lot of us also happen to have an issue with it.

It's been over a decade, I imagine, without installing the relavant mod to fix it, that you're stuck with it.