[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

14 hours ago, CompetitiveSpycrab said:

Are the Virgo LOK parts going to be updated as well?

Right now, unfortunately the answer has to be no. That being said, they still do match decently well - since the LOK parts were already blanketed

Okay I am super hyped for the upcoming Soyuz revamp! In fact, I was going to start on an ISS re-creation (and i mean like FULL recreation, one module at a time!) but as soon as I heard about the new update, I'll be delaying that a bit back. 

Another thing, this is just some ideas for the far future (like future after all the revamping and stuff), Any plans on an Orel spacecraft? Along with my planned ISS re-creation, I was kinda thinking on building my own take on the ROSS idea, but it doesn't feel right to create a modern prototype of ROSS without Orel. Of course by all means this is no pressure, as I stated earlier this is just an idea for like a year or two into the future (unless you move onto modding KSP2 or stop modding altogether)

Before I go, just wanted to share my plans for my KSP save. Yes, I know everything is way out of whack in terms of timelines but I have my own little documents listing the times and stuff. Currently, I have done.... Sputnik (used RN for that though), Mercury Redstone (with jeb!), Mercury Atlas (with bob!), Apollo 10 kinda (pretty much apollo 10 but no LM detach and abort rehearsal), Apollo 11 (Flown by Jeb, Bob, and Bill! sorry bill, but LM wont fit more than 2 kerbals), Gemini, Gemini MOL (except a little different, no camera so that the koviets dont think we are spying on them), Skylab, Apollo Lunar Base (pretty much a refitted LM chucked on the mun and called a 'base'), Voyager Mars (ik this is tantares forum but i love the bdb devs for this), and finally: Venera (i forget which one it is but basically the little lander thingo). Here are my planned stuff: ISS (full pain mode; each module launched as it was irl), MORL (weird skylab gemini station thing), S-IVB Skylab (i forget the name but yeah), Dynasoar (because heck yeah i want a cool USAF space plane docked to a Gemini space station (or maybe MORL)), ROSS (very interesting concept, also the designs kind of remind me of Tiangong), Salyut (probably just 1 and maybe one of the ones with 2 docking ports, maybe even almaz idk), Vostok and Voskhod (idk how i let myself launch apollo before vostok), Tiangong (both tiangong 1 and the new ...Tiangong. yeah the naming is kind of weird), Zond (using RN for this), N1-L3 launches (multiple i want to do, mainly a failure (with launch abort and crew), an LK landing and maybe a little test flight in low kerbin orbit), Mir (like ISS, each module launched seperately. only i dont have to mess around with the Canardarm for like 4 hours), and finally, LK-700 landing on minmus. (decided to go with minmus because already doing and done plenty on mun, plus haven't landed on it since i installed parallax 2.0) ......And thats all folks! stuff i have planned is probably going to take like a few months to do, I will try to remember to post a thread with a bunch of pictures and explanations

7 hours ago, Kaleta said:

Another thing, this is just some ideas for the far future (like future after all the revamping and stuff), Any plans on an Orel spacecraft? Along with my planned ISS re-creation, I was kinda thinking on building my own take on the ROSS idea, but it doesn't feel right to create a modern prototype of ROSS without Orel. Of course by all means this is no pressure, as I stated earlier this is just an idea for like a year or two into the future (unless you move onto modding KSP2 or stop modding altogether)

Respectfully, I think the Russian space program is a joke, and currently in little more than a managed decline, and I won't really be touching anything beyond the 80s.

In lighter news,

screenshot102.png
screenshot101.png

21 hours ago, Beale said:

Respectfully, I think the Russian space program is a joke, and currently in little more than a managed decline, and I won't really be touching anything beyond the 80s.

In lighter news,

screenshot102.png
screenshot101.png

It is really sad to see ROSCOSMOS in the state it is in now compared to what they used to be.

18 hours ago, Beale said:

Pick 1

zV68Ip1.png
JsbxrAZ.png
ND5YC4m.png
zdJfJUw.png
EbN1OvL.pngswYJMXu.png

Medium tan & white, 3rd from the top.

Tan is not commonly used by other mods and feels distinctively Tantares. It has good contrast with your white portions yet the tan remains light enough to see when on the shadowed side of Kerbin.

1 hour ago, Falcon Aerospace said:

there was a 1.5m patch for the Soyuz rocket but I can't see it

It´s in folder GameData\TantaresLV\parts\SOYUZ and named _b9.cfg.disabled. You need to delete the .disabled to make it a .cfg. Also you need B9PartSwitch.

Beale, earlier in this thread someone expressed scaling up the new soyuz to 1.5m in diameter. A soyuz's main diameter of 2.2 becomes 1.375, which happens to be exactly in the middle of 1.25 and 1.5m. I believe 1.5 was suggested as a few parts in BDB use this diameter (Delta ii, Gemini capsule). I did some comparisons with other craft in ksp so people could share their opinions. 

Baseline comparison:

BZoVSi2.png

Salyut:

Z9Bbyyb.png

ASTP:

J3OVI9l.png

Personally I think I prefer the oversized soyuz a bit more but the specific situation makes a difference in which looks better (I think the smaller one looks better on the rear salyut docking port lol).

1 hour ago, Transformatron said:

Beale, earlier in this thread someone expressed scaling up the new soyuz to 1.5m in diameter. A soyuz's main diameter of 2.2 becomes 1.375, which happens to be exactly in the middle of 1.25 and 1.5m. I believe 1.5 was suggested as a few parts in BDB use this diameter (Delta ii, Gemini capsule). I did some comparisons with other craft in ksp so people could share their opinions. 

Baseline comparison:

BZoVSi2.png

Salyut:

Z9Bbyyb.png

ASTP:

J3OVI9l.png

Personally I think I prefer the oversized soyuz a bit more but the specific situation makes a difference in which looks better (I think the smaller one looks better on the rear salyut docking port lol).

they both look off but I think oversized is better for ATSP

1 hour ago, Transformatron said:

Baseline comparison:

So with this comparison, looks like if you upscale the Soyuz, you have to upscale the Salyut/Mir/Rus ISS modules.  And then the Soyuz rocket.  And then the Proton.  And maybe some of the payloads for each like Sputnik and the luna probes.  And and and...

Not sure how Beale feels, but I can see where a headache might start.

28 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

So with this comparison, looks like if you upscale the Soyuz, you have to upscale the Salyut/Mir/Rus ISS modules.  And then the Soyuz rocket.  And then the Proton.  And maybe some of the payloads for each like Sputnik and the luna probes.  And and and...

Not sure how Beale feels, but I can see where a headache might start.

I tried with a soyuz scaled to 1.35 (would post but KSP crashed my computer as I am typing this) and as might be obvious the correct scale looked the best. I didn't suggest it initially because I was responding to the previous mention of an upscale and because 1.375 is not a standard size. Personally, I would not mind the off sizing for soyuz such that it looks better but I understand beale may not want to do that (with either scale up Soyuz is no longer Tanares size 1).

On 6/28/2023 at 2:48 AM, Beale said:

I agree with the fact that Roscosmos is nothing but a rollercoaster with no brakes that's reached the top, but it is kind of sad you won't really do anything beyond the 80s. Anyway, your work on the Soyuz is absolutely amazing! I am still quite excited for any more updates.