[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Great planets!  I think the biomes for Tekto are mapped upsidedown, though.  Flying over the yellow Geological Anomaly registers a Lakes biome, and many others just don't match up.  The wiki page shows a biome map that is clearly north at the bottom as well.

You know, OPM has the chance to be really pretty when it has the opportunity to be.

EgMZemB.png

Note that by "opportunity to be" I mean "working normal maps."

Spoiler

IhnjOt4.png

4FLXDsR.png

shUgtMv.png

oZ80AiN.png

9bh4ue8.png

nNshizm.png

4tgdBmJ.png

ymLlsDe.png

Plock actually looks amazing when it's given a working normal map.

Since @CaptRobau hasn't corrected the issue with the normal maps after three months, I'm gonna do it myself. I'll release a pack of just normal maps and configs to make them work.

These preview pics are all made with 2048 or 1024 textures, but I intend to release the textures in 4096 resolution.

There's no way I'm gonna waste a couple hours of my life doing this, waiting for textures to export, having the game crash every other time. No. Nevermind.

Edited by GregroxMun

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

You know, OPM has the chance to be really pretty when it has the opportunity to be.

EgMZemB.png

Reveal hidden contents

IhnjOt4.png

4FLXDsR.png

shUgtMv.png

oZ80AiN.png

9bh4ue8.png

nNshizm.png

4tgdBmJ.png

ymLlsDe.png

Since @CaptRobau hasn't corrected the issue with the normal maps after three months, I'm gonna do it myself. I'll release a pack of just normal maps and configs to make them work.

These preview pics are all made with 2048 or 1024 textures, but I intend to release the textures in 4096 resolution.

There's no way I'm gonna waste a couple hours of my life doing this, waiting for textures to export, having the game crash every other time. No. Nevermind.

I can export them, just send me the configs. I've got a powerhouse of a system here that'll smack KSP right back into the corner.

EDIT: I'm such an idiot, AFAIK you haven't made any changes to the configs. I'll just re-export the normals.

I'm in Switzerland ATM though, so it'll have to wait until I get back. I''ll export all of the textures, and I'll try to push out a resolution of 8K for all of the planets, then downscale those to 4K, 2K and then 1K so players can choose normals depending on their system strength.

Edited by The White Guardian

On 8/9/2016 at 3:51 AM, colin_in_space said:

I am having an issue that ships I am leaving unattended in Sarnus seem to dissapear, and tr crew dies. Is this an issue which has popped up before? I didnt see a post on this b ut my forum search skills may be lacking : P

No idea.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:59 PM, GregroxMun said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've been busy IRL and I've run into the same problem as you. It just takes forever and my system is a bit unstable, so I never get it done. I do agree that the textures I exported (did it with hacky version of another mod, as Kopernicus export didn't work then) don't have the same quality as the rest of the mod,

On 8/10/2016 at 8:01 PM, The White Guardian said:

I can export them, just send me the configs. I've got a powerhouse of a system here that'll smack KSP right back into the corner.

EDIT: I'm such an idiot, AFAIK you haven't made any changes to the configs. I'll just re-export the normals.

I'm in Switzerland ATM though, so it'll have to wait until I get back. I''ll export all of the textures, and I'll try to push out a resolution of 8K for all of the planets, then downscale those to 4K, 2K and then 1K so players can choose normals depending on their system strength.

If you get this done, I'll gladly implement these textures into the base game.

Edited by CaptRobau

1 hour ago, CaptRobau said:

If you get this done, I'll gladly implement these textures into the base game.

I've already exported Slate's normals at 8K, and my goodness, it looks amazing! I tried to export Tekto too but it crashed, resulting on only an exported color and heightmap. Still, considering the PQSMods were taken into account with that heightmap I can generate a normal map from it.

For Hale, Nissee, Tal and Ovok I'll stick to 2K considering Hale, Nissee and Tal's small sizes and Ovok's smooth terrain. Eeloo, Polta, Priax, Wal, Thatmo, Plock and Karen are still on the 8K to-do list.

Afterwards I'll downscale the textures to 4K as a 'default' resolution, and then to 2K as a performance friendly resolution for the weaker computers, meaning that users can change the normals at will.

Still, the easiest way to implement this feature would be a 'normal map directory' for the planets so that the resolution can be changed easily (excluding the normals of Hale, Nissee, Tal and Ovok considering those are already 2K. However, I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Also, I've noticed that Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon all use the default cloud_normal texture. Did you know that you can apply a custom normal 'noise' texture to the scaledspace? These maps would be in the shape of a cube rather than a rectangle, it's like the normals of surface textures. Just so you know, you can in fact use normals from CTTP to make the gas planets more unique, for example Cracked, Gravel, Ice, Rock, Sand and Snow_normal.dds could work nicely. I'm not saying that you should implement this feature, I just wasn't sure if you knew it existed.

On 8/15/2016 at 0:22 AM, The White Guardian said:

Also, I've noticed that Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon all use the default cloud_normal texture. Did you know that you can apply a custom normal 'noise' texture to the scaledspace? These maps would be in the shape of a cube rather than a rectangle, it's like the normals of surface textures. Just so you know, you can in fact use normals from CTTP to make the gas planets more unique, for example Cracked, Gravel, Ice, Rock, Sand and Snow_normal.dds could work nicely. I'm not saying that you should implement this feature, I just wasn't sure if you knew it existed.

http://imgur.com/a/dSI8H

I tried that once before. Unless you have a really good texture you're going to get very noticeable pinching at the poles. Cloud_normal is a pretty good texture, which is why I used it. Your post did make try an experiment with rectangular normal maps. The result is quick and super exaggerated, but it show that it might be possible to make something that subtlety hints at there being different layers. Like here with this Cassini closeup of Saturn. I'll experiment with it.

PIA08821_modest.jpg

Edited by CaptRobau

i am having an issue with OPM. I have: Kopernicus 1.1.3-1 <minus the modularflightintegrator as its causing KSP to completely LOCK UP whilst loading> and OPM 2.0 installed with the modulemanager dll in place as well BUT, when the game loads minus the aforementioned modularflightintegrator folder OPM planets are NOT loading. any idea what is going on here?

I think I have the issue tracked down.  a single DLL from the modularflightintegrator folder. the dll: modularflightintegrator.dll with this single DLL in place the game locks up. with out it, the game loads fine, but the mod refuses to show me the OPM planets like Sarnus. Can someone help me out? 

this is absolutely infuriating. I keep trying to use OPM. I keep uninstalling it, and deleting it off  my computer, redownloading from both spacedock and curse and github <kopernicus> and its the same thing over and over and over and over. that blasted dll from modular flight integrator keeps causing my entire game to lock up while loading. deleting that DLL again allows KSP to LOAD, and i even SEE OPM listed in the list of things its loading as the loading screen goes by, BUT, once in, I jump into the tracking station and NOTHING new is there, its the stock solar system. 

On record, my mods: 

as listed by my file tree in windows explorer:

Asteroid Day
Cacteye
Chatterer
CTTC
KAS
KIS
Kopernicus
MechJeb 2
ModularFlightIntegrator (in this case now missing the dll thats locking crap up)
NovaPunch 2 (Tiberion has yet to update the mod from KSP 1.0.2, the mod runs, save for a single engine, I am sure this isnt the cause of the hangup as, again, game loads fine with the above dll removed)
OPM
Planetary Base Inc
Procedural Fairings
Reentry Particle Effects
Squad

as of THIS edit, in order to just be able to play my game, I am once again removing all things OPM from my KSP game data folder, including all Module Manager stuff. I am frankly giving up on OPM, I would love to use it, but, if this single DLL: modularflightintegrator.dll is going to refuse me access to the game, then, OPM is removed. Ive watched vids about OPM and would love to use it, but, this issue is making it not worth it. If someone knows how to fix this, I am willing and wanting to give OPM a shot, but, again, this is ridiculous that a single dll is hanging the loading process up.

yet another edit: I just tried something Red Iron Crown suggested. No dice. didnt work. Please make this mod stock. This issue of it refusing to load is quickly making me not want this mod.

Edited by AlamoVampire
added something more

9 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Nightside ready for this? that was the last thing I tried. And it STILL freezes. It gets to the Squad folder while loading, reaches the MK3 Cabin Interior and then nothing. My KSP pointer turns into the windows "working" one, you know, the blueish rotating circle.

Anything interesting show up in the log file? E.g. when it locks up, what are the last few lines of the file?

didnt think to look for a log, but, i can quickly get you one. Need 20 min +- @Snark not a coder, so its all gibberish to me. stby for log.

http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog the output log from it hanging up and forcing me to use task manager to end processes.

Edited by AlamoVampire

@AlamoVampire Kopernicus needs M.F.I to function at all, so trying to run Kopernicus without it is a guaranteed failure.

Seeing as you seem to be having trouble with Kopernicus specifically, I suggest moving this discussion to the main Kopernicus thread where people will likely be able to help you better. OPM is a mod FOR Kopernicus, it doesn't alter Kopernicus itself in any way, therefore unless Kopernicus loads correctly and OPM is missing, OPM shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

However, if @Snark has found the problem already I don't see any reason to move this discussion, in that case, problem solved I suppose, so no reason to move an already answered question.

Anyone else having an issue with this forum thread where clicking on the round dot (Add-on Releases page) takes you to the first post instead of the last unread message? Only mention it because I would hate to see all this work disappear unexpectedly like the Kopernicus thread a while back. 

possibly a stupid question. I just now finally got OPM to load <turns out I was being rather impatient with kopernicus and its first load> but any way, stupid question. I am just looking at my new delicious targets and noticed something funky, well, funky to me. At planet Urlum, I noticed 2 moons, Polta and Priax on the same orbital line. Is this a glitch or supposed to be? just curious.

On 8/16/2016 at 4:35 PM, CaptRobau said:

http://imgur.com/a/dSI8H

I tried that once before. Unless you have a really good texture you're going to get very noticeable pinching at the poles. Cloud_normal is a pretty good texture, which is why I used it. Your post did make try an experiment with rectangular normal maps. The result is quick and super exaggerated, but it show that it might be possible to make something that subtlety hints at there being different layers. Like here with this Cassini closeup of Saturn. I'll experiment with it.

PIA08821_modest.jpg

I have a normal map on Jool in Revamped Stock System. Normal map generated by using a greyscale version of the color map, making that a height map, and then generating normals with Kittopia. I guess it would be simpler to use a Normal Map generator, but whatever. It was merely a test that went very well.

Anyway, you have to make sure you reset the normal map rescale to normal, as Jool tiles the cloud normal texture.

So is there any cloud mods to restore Tekto to what it was (Green + Orange, thick cloud layers) ?

KSP 64bits was supposed to be me making a base both down on it's surface and in orbit, but without the clouds it just isn't the same.
Thanks for keeping everything updated, and I hope your mod becomes part of Stock KSP one day !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.