How long does your game take to load?

mrjordykid8

I have Kerbal Engineer installed, and KSP loads in about 35 to 45 seconds for me, on Linux.

The excessive load times were traced back to unconnected network adapters (even virtual ones) on Windows, this issue does not affect Linux or OSX or it has not been reported to as far as I know.

Load times on Windows are similarly fast if unused/unconnected network cards are disabled :)

Just a general curiosity thread...mine takes 45 minutes. I have ALOT of addons and mods.

I dunno... less time than it takes to step outside and have a smoke and then go into the kitchen and get a cup of coffee from the Keurig or some ice water from the frig.

• 1 year later...
These extreme loading times appear to be caused by a new unity bug (introduced on the latest version and exposed by a tweak on 20.2). There is a known workaround, which is to disable any unconnected network adapters you may have.

I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone, but it appears to have been effective for many.

Cheers

When I click on the link it says I do not have permission to view the page. Anyone have a link to the post on how to disable unconnected network adapters?

Thank You

I decided to time it. I haven't run my "play" copy (the one in the SteamApps folder) for several days, so none of it was cached (a worst-case test). I have 26 mods installed, and it took 1 minute and 27 seconds from hitting "play" in Steam, to when I got the first main menu in KSP.

Conducted a similar test with my "dev" copy (fewer general mods, plus the working/test copies of all of my mods, 18 in total at the moment). 1 minute, 23 seconds.

EDIT: Some specs: Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX-760, Western Digital 2TB hard disk.

Edited by NecroBones

About 35secs

5 Years old machine, but running from an SSD. 50 Mods, but most of them usability and mechanics. Total partcount is probably lower than stock, because my mods do not add many parts, and i replaced various stock parts with procedurals. All textures (stock and mods) handoptimized.

In short, overly long loadtimes are usually a texture problem. Half of the RAM problem however isn't - KSP 0.90 itself uses more RAM than before, and there are memory leaks (about half a gigabyte here, over a timespan of 20mins).

About 35secs

5 Years old machine, but running from an SSD. 50 Mods, but most of them usability and mechanics. Total partcount is probably lower than stock, because my mods do not add many parts, and i replaced various stock parts with procedurals. All textures (stock and mods) handoptimized.

In short, overly long loadtimes are usually a texture problem. Half of the RAM problem however isn't - KSP 0.90 itself uses more RAM than before, and there are memory leaks (about half a gigabyte here, over a timespan of 20mins).

Yup, I'm forced to load in OpenGL because of the memory leakage. So as long as I had to redo all my textures to make them work there, I went full Active Texture Management and added a ton of visual fluff (EVE and Astronomer's pack) to make up for the lack of anti-aliasing. BTW, does anybody know how to fix that? Really pixelated lines under OpenGL.

Of course, it still crashes every couple of hours due to RAM leakage. But it crashes just like a stock install would, and it looks MUCH better. Goes to show KSP still has a looong road to go in the stability department. The last two versions really brought the engine to its limits in its un-optimized state.

Oh, and my copy loads in under one minute or so, the usual. I do have about 30 extra parts from various places, and more than a few partless mods.

Rune. This all makes me fear for an unoptimized 1.0.

Running 50+ mods, (not on my KSP Linux right now, so can't get exact numbers). RSS, RO, EVE, KW, FASA, the most memory intensive mods. It loads in about 30secs. ATM is a life saver, it took about 30mins to load and convert textures the first time, but now loads extremely quickly. Stock KSP on my OS X partition, takes about twice as long. :confused:

Specs. Processor: Intel i7 3770 @ 3.4GHz, 8 cores. RAM: 16GB DDR. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB.

With 70-some mods, about as long as it takes to get a cuppa; 2-3 minutes. I like to think of KSP's memory leak as the game's way of keeping me hydrated :) Without mods, very fast.

SSDs are your friend if you like mods :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.