[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I still love that people think that intelligence was actually that secret.  Yeah, to the general public we didn't know what was going on most of the time, but in the real world of espionage, the question was less *if* the "other guy" knew, but *what* the other guy knew.  Hell, the USAF used to put spurious tail numbers on the RC-135s - not to spoof the Soviet/Eastern Bloc observers/spies/etc, but to see if any of the "historians" (aka tail chasing "plane spotters") would screw up which plane was which and write bad articles about this "new" spy airplane they saw (kinda a joke/middle finger at the more idiotic of them).  It worked for like 2 weeks and then someone actually paid attention and then it just kinda became an "in" joke since each airplane was so unique that they just started figuring out which one was which by those differences.

If you ever want a good read on the C-135 and its multitude of variants, the Aerofax book on the KC-135 is really good.  There's also stories about some of those kind of "spoofing" goings on in Sled Driver and a couple other SR-71 books out there as well.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:31 AM, Friznit said:

It's an old kit bash that I did of a the conceptual Saturn V ELV using the stretched Saturn tanks in BDB Extras and probably a bit of tweakscale for the S-V stage.  Looks like proc fairings for some of the interstages too.

Question - opinion on the Right Side Up Space Transportation System I posted? I understand if it's not of sufficient quality to be included in the wiki (even as a Kerbal Koncept), just want to follow up on it (and what improvements might need to be made). Link to the post in question is here.

Space Exploration Initiative (SEI) first unmanned landing
Screenshot_3990.png
Screenshot_3995.pngScreenshot_4007.pngScreenshot_4027.pngScreenshot_4044.png
Offloading of the cargo:

Screenshot_4050.pngScreenshot_4056.pngScreenshot_4066.pngScreenshot_4068.pngScreenshot_4070.png

For reference, pics of the architecture NASA planned:

sei12.jpg
I have no idea why the cargo blocks are placed on the LTV *and* the lander is already separated in the next artwork, there's absolutely zero situations in the architecture where that would happen
sei13.jpg
sei11.jpg
sei26.png

An unexpected visitor...

ywroFq0.jpg

In late 1979 The Space Shuttle was slated to launch and deploy a tug to reboost Skylab but due to delays with The Space Shuttle Program and increased solar activity during the time Skylab was in orbit, Skylab could not be saved. If you want to see the full mission, you can find it here!

12 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Thought you said you weren't going to do a damaged Skylab?

THOUGH I'M NOT COMPLAINING!!!

Basically it will be set up like the Centaur D1. The micro meteorite shield can be toggled on or off in the editor and if you launch with it you can keep it all the way to orbit or jettison it if you want to recreate the incident. The texture will be pretty clean though, you wont see "damage" per se.

The bare option is available for a couple of reasons, firstly I think the gold looks nice and it would be a nice option. But also it allows us to do the Venus Flyby mission properly. For VFB the body is surrounded by a number of solar panels. Only a few are open at a time and the others that are closed provide MM shielding. There may need to be some workarounds for the greebling (couple of raceways/ducts).

unknown.png?width=817&height=806

Edited by Zorg

8 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

will there be something similar for the damaged solar panel?

No. Just to clarify what I said earlier, the MM shield toggle is more to represent two colour variants and to accommodate the VFB. You can approximate the damage by removing the shield and removing the left panel but I am not trying to show actual damage on the texture.

I might do the parasol though as a separate deployable.

Edited by Zorg

34 minutes ago, Zorg said:

No. Just to clarify what I said earlier, the MM shield toggle is more to represent two colour variants and to accommodate the VFB. You can approximate the damage by removing the shield and removing the left panel but I am not trying to show actual damage on the texture.

I might do the parasol though as a separate deployable.

Maybe add an extra node on the side of the workshop to attatch a parasol by EVA construction?

Given the Tempel ion engine was made as almost-replica of the one in Halley intercept mission probe, would it be possible to add a "compact" variant without the ring above it? It's not present in the original spacecraft and it could be useful when building small probes
unknown.png

28 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Something interesting I noticed, the Apollo command module used for the Skylab missions was white, would it be possible to get a part switch for this in the Apollo rework?dur8f.jpg

It was actually only the top half but I agree that this would be a good feature to have.

CM-118_NASM_2008_RK_2.jpg

Edited by KeaKaka

23 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

It was actually only the top half but I agree that this would be a good feature to have.

CM-118_NASM_2008_RK_2.jpg

BDBNIC has a skylab Apollo CM option, but that option won't carry over for the revamped apollo parts in development.

39 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

What is BDBNIC, where can I find it?

BDB Now In Colors. It is a cool mod, but beware there is some programming hinkiness when it comes go the Apollo Saturn IB and Saturn I. It creates drag on the ride uphill and on the CM during reentry. I believe there is a .cfg file workaround, but I wasn’t comfortable messing with it so I uninstalled. If it works for you it provides some interesting color switching capability for the CM. Available on CKAN

Edited by DaveyJ576
Typo

6 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

What is BDBNIC, where can I find it?

6 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

BDB Now In Colors. It is a cool mod, but beware there is some programming hinkiness when it comes go the Apollo Saturn IB and Saturn I. It creates drag on the ride uphill and on the CM during reentry. I believe there is a .cfg file workaround, but I wasn’t comfortable messing with it so I uninstalled. If it works for you it provides some interesting color switching capability for the CM. Available on CKAN

Yeah it’s a problem with the parachute mount. The ‘solution’ basically removes the mount from all colour switches, so you won’t be able to get a full CM colour 

21 hours ago, Beccab said:

Given the Tempel ion engine was made as almost-replica of the one in Halley intercept mission probe, would it be possible to add a "compact" variant without the ring above it? It's not present in the original spacecraft and it could be useful when building small probes
unknown.png

I was thinking of redoing this entirely. Make the full set. Perhaps sometime after skylab. Not a high priority but I do want to do it.

Halley_002.jpg

9 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I was thinking of redoing this entirely. Make the full set. Perhaps sometime after skylab. Not a high priority but I do want to do it.

Halley_002.jpg

That's great! The actual probe is much bigger than the size of the BDB ion engine at least according to this diagram (i'd say Galileo sized roughly excluding the solar panels) so if you redo the engine it's going to be quite different from the current one I believe
unknown.png

Edited by Beccab

4 minutes ago, Beccab said:

That's great! The actual probe is much bigger than the size of the BDB ion engine at least according to this diagram (i'd say Galileo sized roughly excluding the solar panels) so if you redo the engine it's going to be quite different from the current one I believe
unknown.png

Do you have any more on this? I just have two versions of the close up diagram at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Do you have any more on this? I just have two versions of the close up diagram at the moment.

I had cut it from the nasa doc on the proposal yesterday, just a sec
Edit; there you go @Zorg https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19790006962/downloads/19790006962.pdf the image I posted is in the last page

Edited by Beccab