What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The unkindest cut of all...

Did they give him pain meds? My understanding is that those are counterproductive for animals, as they don't understand that they need to take it easy after such a procedure. The pain tells them that they're hurt and to just sleep as much as possible until it gets better. OTOH nobody wants to see their pet in pain, so it's a tough. choice to make

He’s got some puppy Aleve, just to take the edge off, but we were really clear he needs sedatives, which we got. He was pretty chill today until he started getting riled up a little while ago. So far he hasn’t figured out what’s in the pill pocket treats, but I think he knows something’s up. Nights may be the hardest, he’s usually up and down between the floor and the bed with us (usually stealing all the covers), and he does NOT like being made to sleep in Jim’s crate. 

Well, after sixteen years of commuting 100km (round trip) to work at the retread plant, I bit the bullet and gave my notice today. In three weeks I will go to work at *drum roll* a much closer retread plant that is only a ten minute drive away instead of thirty-five minutes, traffic permitting. Needless to say, a summer Friday afternoon drive home could be easily double that, as everyone is getting out of town. It was a hard choice, but I'll be ahead of the game in the long run, and that highway seems to get scarier every day between insufficient maintenance and crazy, impatient drivers (from two-wheelers to eighteen-wheelers; but at least the thirty-wheelers know better). Never mind the white-knuckle winter driving, whether its white-out snowing or pouring rain grey-out!

So yeah, I'm so done with that. Enough is enough. I'm pretty sure the grass is greener on the other side; it has to be because I can smell the water from here!

Spoiler

A8KAEq8.gif

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On the way home from Sunday school (ironically located on a Wednesday night) the power was (and still is) out in the neighborhood we live in, we were driving through the dark streets, and in a fit of outrageous irony, when I turned the radio on it was playing blinding lights! :D

Needless to say this has only increased my dad’s intent to get a solar power system and thereby stop having to put up with load shedding (controlled power outages to reduce load on the power stations), without having to pay for petrol to power a generator.

Edit: Something funnier just happened, I played 'all systems to go' by man or astroman, and directly after the song completed the first "all systems to go" the power came back!

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

2 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Needless to say this has only increased my dad’s intent to get a solar power system and thereby stop having to put up with load shedding (controlled power outages to reduce load on the power stations), without having to pay for petrol to power a generator.

Keep up the pressure on him to do it and not let it slide. I want solar but can’t afford it and it’s not economical here yet. The local utility has (or will have) hydro to spare so solar PV is downplayed by the powers that be. 

28 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Keep up the pressure on him to do it and not let it slide. I want solar but can’t afford it and it’s not economical here yet. The local utility has (or will have) hydro to spare so solar PV is downplayed by the powers that be. 

No need, it was his idea, and it's not very economical here either, we just have more of a motive (economics and practicality always outweigh anything about the climate (and in all honesty we are not doing this for any reasons around climate change or going green, the solar panel could turn the ozone layer into a cloud of sulphuric acid for all I care (not that I think that should happen, and I know climate change is a problem, I just have bigger problems (in other words, problems that will bother me sooner (in a leaky spaceship you patch the big holes first)), as long as it makes power, we're good). He's a civil engineer and he is still going to need to save up.

(By the way, do you have any info about what to use?)

Just here to drop off my sister and her friend to play in the University of Florida Marching band. They're freshman but were giving a chance to play in  the Gator band for tonight. Shame I decided to not conquer my disability and become a 3rd generation musician. 4nd generation engineer will be fine.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:19 PM, Hyperspace Industries said:

No need, it was his idea, and it's not very economical here either, we just have more of a motive (economics and practicality always outweigh anything about the climate (and in all honesty we are not doing this for any reasons around climate change or going green, the solar panel could turn the ozone layer into a cloud of sulphuric acid for all I care (not that I think that should happen, and I know climate change is a problem, I just have bigger problems (in other words, problems that will bother me sooner (in a leaky spaceship you patch the big holes first)), as long as it makes power, we're good). He's a civil engineer and he is still going to need to save up.

(By the way, do you have any info about what to use?)

If you want economical (depending where you are, I suppose) and reliable, go with a propane (or natural gas) standby generator. Not as flashy as solar, but they’re good value, low maintenance, and can easily run your whole house (day and night) for a lot less than a comparable solar + battery setup. 

1 hour ago, razark said:

Not today, but this last weekend.

I saw a roadrunner.  Which is also what it was doing.

(There was a disappointing lack of coyotes and ACME boxes in the area, however.)

Probably a good thing, even higher likelihood of getting you blown up than if Kerbals were around. :D

My daughter is a HS senior. Her school year is over, except senior projects. She's managed to secure an internship at the Office of the Medical Investigator for her project. She thinks that's what she wants to do. So undergrad, med school, then that. Showed up today at OMI. Got a badge (security/entry/etc), a desk. She observed (and got to help) with 2 autopsies.

We were nervous she might want to reconsider her life goals if today freaked her out. When my wife did cadaver lab in med school, they covered the hands and heads until they were very used to them, to avoid creeping them out (those parts being what signals "human" most). My wife said it was mostly for the would-be docs without surgical interests, who were creeped out by that sort of thing. The surgeons were all ready to roll out of the gate (except a few who decided it was not for them).

Daughter seems completely stoked. Creepy, but awesome. :D

Edited by tater

Instead of just taking a nap in my car during lunch (@2am), I decide I want snacks and then a nap.  

zip around the corner to the local speedway gas station.   Learn they have been bought out by 7-11, and currently have a 75% off clearance sale on snacks that 7-11 won’t keep.  

Proceed to spend about $25.   I now have a lot of snacks.  

This technically happened yesterday, but it's still hilarious:

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/awkward-moment-as-bbc-world-news-struggle-to-find-south-africa-on-map-video-breaking/

Seriously, that's just plain pathetic, my home nation is pretty much the easiest one to find, just find Africa and go to the bottom tip. :sticktongue:

Edit: also it turns out that the flood's death toll recently dropped by 13, due to four people presumed to have been killed by the flood actually having already died from natural causes. The other nine had bullet holes in them.

5 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

This technically happened yesterday, but it's still hilarious:

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/awkward-moment-as-bbc-world-news-struggle-to-find-south-africa-on-map-video-breaking/

Seriously, that's just plain pathetic, my home nation is pretty much the easiest one to find, just find Africa and go to the bottom tip. :sticktongue:

Edit: also it turns out that the flood's death toll recently dropped by 13, due to four people presumed to have been killed by the flood actually having already died from natural causes. The other nine had bullet holes in them.

South-of-Center Africa

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Had to go get diesel today, with the usual double-takes. 

rvJ4C4M.jpg

First time I’ve bought fuel in months. $65 bucks for >14 gallons, ouch. 

And then… I $&@£#%^&€€£!!!!ing got rear-ended. :mad:

Hitch carrier here took one for the team and is now destroyed. 

shoulda F5’ed…

You got some nice junk on that trunk, lol. A Tesla at a fuel station would be a rare sight indeed!

Had to put gas in the truck the other day. $100 for half a tank... :mad:. I'm starting a much closer job soon, I may need to make my wife drive the Yaris and buy an e-bike for my commute, reserving the truck for towing the RV.... 

I thought jerry cans for diesel were supposed to be yellow, to avoid confusion and/or mistakes....

Good that the carrier took the hit, but you might want to check the hitch receiver mounting  for buckling or other damage...

Long ago, a friend had an old  (70's) Sunfire that got rear-ended hard. The rear bumper and back end actually looked fine, but there was some buckling above the rear wheel wells and the fan was in the radiator!

On 4/24/2022 at 8:39 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

I thought jerry cans for diesel were supposed to be yellow, to avoid confusion and/or mistakes....

Supposed to, yes. But I couldn’t find a wheeled fuel cell like this in yellow anywhere. I guess I should mark it. :/
Got an appt in a couple weeks to get things checked out, drives fine, no errors, but yeah that hitch isn’t the strongest thing to begin with. I keep staring at it trying to figure out if it’s actually tweaked or I’m just imagining. 

@DDE Poor Hwasong-1-through-16… :(

Im sitting outside watching the fire in my chiminea and about 5 minutes ago i started to hear a rustling sound about 40 feet away in the back right corner of my yard. I get up to investigate the sound and see an armadillo noping out of my yard under my back fence into a neighbors yard. 
In my yard and in my neighborhood i have seen:

white tail deer (on the outer edge of my neighborhood)

coyotes (one on my front porch and a pair of them walking down my street as well as a few running out of the park near by)

skunks (in my yard)

raccoons just all over the neighborhood and yes my yard too

opossums again all over the neighborhood and my yard too

rattle snake (western diamondback) front yard

hawks on my fence and flying overhead

turkey vultures flying overhead and snacking on a dead opossum in the street a few doors down

and now i add armadillo to my list!

12 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

In my yard and in my neighborhood i have seen:

Have you ever considered you may be a Disney princess?

I, however, am definitely a villain. Had to throw a broody Cochin in the Hole for a week to dissuade her from sitting on eggs that no longer exist:

She mad. :D