SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I wouldn’t say Musk is distracted, if anything, the usual media sources are. The guy is the king of time management and delegation. He draws some extremely talented people to his circle, turns them loose… then lights a fire under their butts.  He also basically never sleeps,  not like us normies:

During this whole Twitter kerfuffle, both SpaceX and Tesla have managed to deliver some pretty impressive accomplishments, not the kind of thing possible with a “distracted” leader… unless the leader really knows exactly where his time resources are needed. The best part is no part, right? If you’re not adding things back in you’re not deleting enough  

The Starship project has switched to be a bit more risk-averse the last few months, and that’s very understandable and prudent. Whatever else happens with the first orbital attempt, it’s got to get clear of the pad. If it takes that out the whole project is set back months or years. Another booster is easy, another OLM is not, so they’re taking their time to make sure it gets that far the first time.

Also:

ArmageddonShuttleLaunch.gif

AlsoAlso:

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

ArmageddonShuttleLaunch.gif

Naw, someone has to revive the M5 Mars sample return proposal with its triple Proton launches within seconds of each other to earn that title.

This is more comparable to Gemini 8.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

On 12/14/2022 at 2:37 PM, Laikanaut said:

I've been reading some interesting things today about side ventures the head of SpaceX has gotten involved in, which may result in this person losing their position in the company. These predictions suggested that it would probably run better this way, but I think the CEO was heavily involved with the Starship program at least. Do other people think Starship would continue if the current CEO was gone from SpaceX? My understanding is that it's a very profitable company, but the CEO is also head engineer, and could have unique skills that helped create this program at least.

Hopefully this isn't off topic

No, the founder increasingly giving pre-meltdown Howard Hughes vibes should have no bearing on the aerospace company he owns. 

Is this over the line? Im never quite sure if Musk is OT here or just criticism of his decision making. 

29 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Only 1 more launch to go, and SpaceX will meet their goal of 60 launches this year. There's 2 left on the manifest for 2022, according to spaceflightnow, but it'll be tight if there are any delays.

Both the 28th I think, but on both coasts, so weather unlikely to delay 2.