[1.12.5] Grannus Expansion Pack [v1.2.8] [10 May 2022]

OhioBob

I mentioned in my last mission report that I had a surprise coming Wednesday. It's not a final mission report, but it is something I have been working on these last few weeks- ever since I started exploring GEP_Primary. I figured out the config files by looking at how OPM did theirs and was able to put together two config files that actually do something. I added to them after every mission, and now that I'm finished I think I'm going to share them. What are these files, you ask?

I wrote 1800 custom science defenitions for this mod.

When written out like that it sounds insane but I rather like writing science defenitions and doing it slowly over weeks it wasn't too bad. This was initially a challenge for myself- someone with zero coding background- to see if I even could make this happen and once I started, well, here we are.

So these defenitions (probably) work for GEP but I wrote them from my perspective as a GEP_Primary player so many of the ones for Nodens wouldn't make sense if one isn't using it as the homeworld. 

If anyone wants to take a look or even plug them into your own save (they should work fine even in preexisting savegames) you can put both these files in GameData/GEP_Primary.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2vk6nzkw157up6r/AAC3r0siU1rt48BYDJ-llyR_a?dl=0

I learned a lot from this little project- mostly how the game sets up its files and some basic notepad++ regex. Also, a lesson in patience... This did not happen overnight but I'm glad I saw it through!

19 minutes ago, darwinpatrick said:

I wrote 1800 custom science defenitions for this mod.

That is awesome!  I can't believe you did that.  Custom science definitions where never on my to do list because I thought they where just too much work.  I'm definitely going to have to check this out.  If I like what I see, would you be agreeable to incorporating it into GEP?

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

That is awesome!  I can't believe you did that.  Custom science definitions where never on my to do list because I thought they where just too much work.  I'm definitely going to have to check this out.  If I like what I see, would you be agreeable to incorporating it into GEP?

Wow, that's a huge honor if you're willing to do that! Just bear in mind a couple of things:

- These really make sense for GEP_Primary only, especially the ones for Nodens that reference having launched a vessel from Nodens (if you've just travelled for decades to get there it's kind of odd to see that) so I might try and work on a second set for non-GEP_Primary.

- Every possible definition is included, and they all behave normally except for a few at random on Nodens and Grannus that revert to stock definitions. Maybe you can find something I don't.

5 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

- These really make sense for GEP_Primary only, especially the ones for Nodens that reference having launched a vessel from Nodens (if you've just travelled for decades to get there it's kind of odd to see that) so I might try and work on a second set for non-GEP_Primary.

There are several descriptions in GEP where I required two versions, one for secondary and one for primary (Grannus and Nodens for instance).  So making it switch from one description to another is not that big of a deal.  But, of course, I'd need an alternate set of science definitions.  If you'd be willing to provide the extra definitions, I'm sure I can set it all up and make it work.

I've got another release planned, but probably not for another couple of weeks.  I'll probably wait until after the new Kopernicus is released.  Is that enough time?

- Every possible definition is included, and they all behave normally except for a few at random on Nodens and Grannus that revert to stock definitions. Maybe you can find something I don't.

I'm sure I'll never be able to test all 1800 if them. lol  Do you recall which ones specifically where giving you trouble?

Edited by OhioBob

I'd be happy to go ahead and make the second set but I'm not sure how to set up a different file that works with the different dependencies, if you wanted to take a crack at getting the file structure set up then I could do the work of the second set's actual definitions.

As for the broken defs, a couple of the ones for Grannus and Nodens only. I specifically remember EVA report in space high over Grannus was misbehaving despite being set up identically.

2 hours ago, darwinpatrick said:

I'd be happy to go ahead and make the second set but I'm not sure how to set up a different file that works with the different dependencies, if you wanted to take a crack at getting the file structure set up then I could do the work of the second set's actual definitions.

I can do that.  I'll send you a private message when I have the files set up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE

Version 1.1.4

Changelog

• Updated to Kopernicus 1.8.1.
  • Updated to Scatterer 0.055.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

This updates includes only a few minor changes to assure compatibility with dependencies and recommended mods.  A future update is planned that will make use of the new 1.8.1 terrain shader, though there is no current timetable for its release.  Please stay tuned.

This release is not backwards compatible with pre-1.8.1 versions of KSP and Kopernicus.  Continue using GEP 1.1.3 for KSP 1.7.3 and earlier.

Edited by OhioBob

@OhioBob I'm putting together a new JNSQ 1.8.1 install, and was pleased to see that GEP is available as an add-on for late game  exploration. Can this be added to a career in progress, or is it best to add it to the universe from the get-go? I'm only a few hours in, so starting over is still a viable option.

The other reason I'm asking is that one of my major goals this career is having as little lag as possible, so many mods are being cut or pruned to reduce the computational load. Keeping GEP off the CPU's plate until it's time to start exploring Grannus would appear to be one way to help in this regard. However, if the CPU impact is small and adding GEP later will create problems, then I'd rather have it installed from the start. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

@Norcalplanner IMO add it in now. No reason to re-do hours of work just to add in a system that exists so very late-game.

Also, in regards to lag, in my experience planetary systems only hurt loading times a little when the game is starting up. In-game it's totally on rails and never rendered all at once so the load is very light.

2 hours ago, Big Katz said:

When using GEP_JNSQ the gas giant with the rings switches to a real ugly texture. Is there a fix for this or a workaround? I’m using Eve and scattered 

I haven't observed this.  Can you post a screenshot?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 5:12 PM, OhioBob said:

A future update is planned that will make use of the new 1.8.1 terrain shader, though there is no current timetable for its release.  Please stay tuned.

Is this something still in the pipeline? Or have you focused on other things? Not asking for a release date, just curious what its status is.

• 1 month later...

Solar panels are not generating power and are instead tracking Grannus. This only seemed to happen after switching away from the vessel and I am using GEP with JNSQ and the required configs in 1.8.1.

I have checked previous issues on the Kopernicus Github but there isn't info for situations involving multiple star systems and the only fix is to disable the Kopernicus solar panels config, which I would imagine would stop solar panels from working around Grannus.

Edited by Spartan125