Solar System Backstories

The Minmus Derp

Hi everyone, @The Minmus Derp here, I am thinking up backstories for planets in the kerbal system.

I use

Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul by @Gameslinx,

OPM, by @CaptRobau,

Kerbol Origins by @amarius1,

Planet Cyran by @The White Guardian,

Moons of Eve, Duna, Eeloo by @Xenonclave,

Sentar expansion by @Borisbee

Any Ideas? write them here ------->  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yEvjJyJbqa7Q-xRGTF8uochPN67hqrw86YNksOUHRg/edit#gid=0

No silly comments.

11 minutes ago, amarius1 said:

Honestly the planets in Kerbol Origins aren't supposed to have a backstory. They are just based on what the developers, namely @NovaSilisko had in mind for the Kerbol System before plans got cancelled.

RipKSP

Does Earth have a backstory? I guess the [presumed] Theia collision was impressive (producing the Moon), but beyond that it mostly cooled and cultured life.  What kind of backstory would Mars have?  We can suppose that some ancient culture caused a runaway greenhouse effect on Venus, but that is projecting modern scientifically important theories on little data much the way Victorians assumed that such a cloudy planet must have dinosaurs.  I can't imagine gas giants having a backstory, although the various moons might have more interesting stories involving their capture.

I'd especially avoid giving stock Kerbol planets backstories.  Long before release somebody simulated the Jovian system and it ejected a moon in under a year.  It is just gives you a place to go, and has little more justification than "because they're there".

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 5:31 PM, wumpus said:

Does Earth have a backstory? I guess the [presumed] Theia collision was impressive (producing the Moon), but beyond that it mostly cooled and cultured life.  What kind of backstory would Mars have?  We can suppose that some ancient culture caused a runaway greenhouse effect on Venus, but that is projecting modern scientifically important theories on little data much the way Victorians assumed that such a cloudy planet must have dinosaurs.  I can't imagine gas giants having a backstory, although the various moons might have more interesting stories involving their capture.

I'd especially avoid giving stock Kerbol planets backstories.  Long before release somebody simulated the Jovian system and it ejected a moon in under a year.  It is just gives you a place to go, and has little more justification than "because they're there".

Actually maybe Triton was once a moon of Planet 9 and it got captured by Neptune while the gas giant was flung on the crazy orbit it might have got today. This could explain the strange orbital direction of the moon and some theories that it might have formed closer to the Sun, a case similar to Pluto.

6 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Actually maybe Triton was once a moon of Planet 9 and it got captured by Neptune while the gas giant was flung on the crazy orbit it might have got today. This could explain the strange orbital direction of the moon and some theories that it might have formed closer to the Sun, a case similar to Pluto.

Oooooooh! I like! but this is meant for KSP planets.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, amarius1 said:

Honestly the planets in Kerbol Origins aren't supposed to have a backstory. They are just based on what the developers, namely @NovaSilisko had in mind for the Kerbol System before plans got cancelled.

RipKSP

Well I was thinking of making up backstories... drumroll... BECAUSE I CANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that enough?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.