Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

17 minutes ago, Gyger said:

Unfortunately I'm not creating a Dropbox account just to post logs.

I was just about to suggest pastebin, but it looks like you already used that for a single log. ;)

Edited by Beetlecat

2 hours ago, Gyger said:

Unfortunately I'm not creating a Dropbox account just to post logs.

Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, pastebin or any of the myriad of others would probably work just as well.  You'll find the inability to post a link to a log file a serious troubleshooting constraint if you can't find a service that suits you.

I do find even the necessity to find a third-party service that suits me, without having to register, and without having to allow ads and tracking, a serious troubleshooting constraint.

I understand that "free" services are never actually free, but I don't see why these forums shouldn't allow at least a minimal capability of hosting files as attachments to posts. Squad have always been maximally minimizing their operating costs, but relying on third parties to host for free what Squad effectively benefit from most–user submissions– just feels cheap. That includes mission report images, mods, and especially log files.

No need to discuss this any further since seeing how it has been this way from the dawn of times, Squad and their parents seem unlikely to ever change it anyway.

/rant

10 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I was just about to suggest pastebin, but it looks like you already used that for a single log. ;)

That link is for the modlist. The log file is too big without a premium account.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a serious problem with this mod, it's almost a game breaking issue.
The problem is that all the parts just look so incredible, have such cool functionality and are just generally awesome that you end up wanting to put all of them on every craft, even when you don't actually need them. You end up designing craft just so they use US-II parts, rather than the other way around!
I mean look at this rover; it could have just had a nice simple stock fuel cell and some LFO tanks, but noooo, that Alkaline fuel cell just looks so awesome, and several of them together along with the hydrogen and oxygen tanks, and all their little pipes and wires and awesome details that just blend together to create some sort of steam-punk retro engine thing. It's a disaster! 
7lnYTMv.png

But seriously, I absolutely love this mod. Have done since the first version of US and the way it's continued to change and improve is fantastic. It's top on my must-have list of mods.  I'm also a big fan of TAC-LS (which is rather lacking in nice parts) and US-II brings some really nice Life support parts and converters to it.
The other thing I really love is the implementation of the parts from DMagic's Orbital Science mod.  I still geek out at the animations of those parts. 
The attention to detail in this mod is fantastic, beautiful model and texture work along with some really slick animations.  

There's just a couple things that I'd like to suggest; Some US-II style solar panels which fit nicely into wedge sections and fairings and some US-II style antenna and dishes with the same sorta slick animations as you've done for the DM orbital science parts. If you'd consider adding those I'd be really happy (and if the dishes included the Remote Tech set of dishes, I'd be ecstatic!).  oh...and (sorry, I know I'm asking a lot here), but a US-II style of ISRU drill would also be a super addition.
Anyway, just suggestions. Thanks so much for this mod!

On 7/10/2020 at 2:00 PM, Gyger said:

The log file is too big without a premium account.

Split it in multiple parts and upload separately.

Also @Paul Kingtiger @Daishi There aren't any stock fuel cells in there. That is, fuel cells that work with stock resources. A suggestion is, when no life support mods are installed, make the small fuel cell consume LFO and the big one consume monoprop, and both of them don't output water.

Edited by Random Annoying Guy

Amazing guys, btw have you ever thought of reducing maxTemp of wedge parts to keep things more interesting and encouraging using fairing when necessary? I've thought of making a quick patch for that, but asking as well in case its known to cause issues.

Also, the attachment point for Vostok module seems pretty damn perfect now, don't know if it was intentional or not, but you can fit a small reaction wheel in between the two just fine as well. Though I wish the variant part with radiators had bit more use, the built-in fuel is a bit too good to not use.

screenshot-2020-08-08-16-13-39.jpg

So excuse me for the third consequential post, but I thought I'd share something.
It bothered me that the combined life support for TAC mod, had different longevity ratios for each item, so I wanted to balance that, also noticed that mesh variant has neat oxygen tank while the other doesn't, so I banged my head a bit to figure out the UniversalStorage switch module, but got it right in the end, the result being a patch that balances the resources for 180 days if only food or water, or 60 days if food+water+oxygen combined (I'm really sticky to these thing because its easier to manage logistics). So I thought I'd share the patch if anyone finds it useful.

@PART[USComboLifesupportWedge]:AFTER[UniversalStorage2]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
	-RESOURCE[Oxygen],* {}
	-RESOURCE[Food],* {}
	-RESOURCE[Water],* {}
	@MODULE[USSwitchControl]
	{
		%FuelSwitchModeOne = True
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = USFuelSwitch
		SwitchID = 0
		resourceNames = Food,Water;Food,Water,Oxygen
		resourceAmounts = 66,45;22,15,2222
		initialResourceAmounts = 66,45;22,15,2222
		tankCost = 0;0
		tankMass = 0.000;0.015
		hasGUI = False
		availableInEditor = False
		displayCurrentTankCost = True
		ShowInfo = False
	}
}

Geez, can't believe its still just me posting, but wanted to ask something, the base game has a remarkable lack of parts to make something like the two stage lander from the Apollo missions, something that these new fairings seems perfectly suited for. The question is, any issue that can come from using them like this? I have push the part with move tool quite a bit to get in the proper place, still there is a bit of a gap between the fairing and the capsule, but does using the fairing like this protect its contents in terms aero-drag?

screenshot-2020-08-11-11-36-45.jpg

1 hour ago, Gfurst said:

Geez, can't believe its still just me posting, but wanted to ask something, the base game has a remarkable lack of parts to make something like the two stage lander from the Apollo missions, something that these new fairings seems perfectly suited for. The question is, any issue that can come from using them like this? I have push the part with move tool quite a bit to get in the proper place, still there is a bit of a gap between the fairing and the capsule, but does using the fairing like this protect its contents in terms aero-drag?

screenshot-2020-08-11-11-36-45.jpg

@Paul Kingtiger hasn't been on the forum since April. I'm not sure if they will be back or not. Any new parts or support might not happen unless someone like @linuxgurugamer adopts the mod. 

I would actually love to see lander parts made instead of using the current parts to make a lander, but there's little way of that happening unless someone adopts the mod.

As far as the current models you should have no issues. They do protect from aero-drag. I've actually tested the Gemini parts and found they can be used as air brakes. As far as the gap between the pod and parts, use the mod's decouplers, there should be no gap afterwards.

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Paul Kingtiger hasn't been on the forum since April. I'm not sure if they will be back or not. Any new parts or support might not happen unless someone like @linuxgurugamer adopts the mod. 

I would actually love to see lander parts made instead of using the current parts to make a lander, but there's little way of that happening unless someone adopts the mod.

As far as the current models you should have no issues. They do protect from aero-drag. I've actually tested the Gemini parts and found they can be used as air brakes. As far as the gap between the pod and parts, use the mod's decouplers, there should be no gap afterwards.

Really, I don't think the mod needs a maintainer just yet, the last update (the fix to the vostok fairing node) was just some days before I got to post the picture (that I noticed at least). But did find out the fairing work like airbrakes, the fun way:

screenshot-2020-08-08-21-30-38.jpg

1 hour ago, Gfurst said:

Really, I don't think the mod needs a maintainer just yet, the last update (the fix to the vostok fairing node) was just some days before I got to post the picture (that I noticed at least). But did find out the fairing work like airbrakes, the fun way:

I'm not saying it does need a maintainer, just that it looks like @Paul Kingtiger looks to be taking a hiatus from KSP forums or even might have left, and any updates would have to come from a maintainer. 

On 8/9/2020 at 6:40 AM, Gfurst said:

Amazing guys, btw have you ever thought of reducing maxTemp of wedge parts to keep things more interesting and encouraging using fairing when necessary? I've thought of making a quick patch for that, but asking as well in case its known to cause issues.

I think we did at one point, but the explosions were too much >< Don't want to anger anybody further by reintroducing what some would consider a bug!

On 8/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, Gfurst said:

Also, the attachment point for Vostok module seems pretty damn perfect now, don't know if it was intentional or not, but you can fit a small reaction wheel in between the two just fine as well. Though I wish the variant part with radiators had bit more use, the built-in fuel is a bit too good to not use.

I should have made that radiator piece hollow in the middle, an OscarB should fit perfectly. If you want you could inset it slightly into the radiator truss and fill it with fuel that way.

On 8/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, GoldForest said:

Don't be too hasty, i'm still here :)

On 8/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, GoldForest said:

I'm not saying it does need a maintainer, just that it looks like @Paul Kingtiger looks to be taking a hiatus from KSP forums or even might have left, and any updates would have to come from a maintainer. 

Yeah I think Paul needed a break. I'm a bit strained creatively at the moment with everything that's happening in this crappy world, so I can totally understand the need for bowing out for a bit. I think i'm up for maintaining the cfg stuff in his stead in the mean time, but the plan was to get this mod feature complete and then port it to KSP2. I'm still unemployed. The mod is hardly going to get abandoned :) 

23 hours ago, derega16 said:

There is no 6-bay cylindrical fairing? I can't find it

Next update, I promise. Sorry.

23 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

It's not in the mod, but iirc it was coming up

:prograde:

zYMzsRg.png

Lander stuff is on the cards, i share your frustrations with the limitations of the current set of parts. Gotta find that elusive motivation!

2 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Great to hear from you in here @Daishi! I would love to be able to use US2 in 1.10 and beyond, but I know that life comes first.

Thanks man, means a lot. Are the current builds incompatible, or are you just waiting for an official sign from me? 

18 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Thanks man, means a lot. Are the current builds incompatible, or are you just waiting for an official sign from me? 

You know, I thought I had read that it wasn't compatible, then I searched the thread and found no problems. Then I installed to test it and it seems to work! I'll let you know if I have any difficulty. :D

On 8/7/2018 at 12:32 PM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Universal Storage is a modular parts mod, allowing you to build custom service modules.  It is highly integrated with the most popular life support mods, DMagic Orbital Science, and Kerbal Inventory System.

Can you get me info I would need to get the new L-Tech mod which I've adopted to work with this?

2 hours ago, Daishi said:

zYMzsRg.png

Lander stuff is on the cards, i share your frustrations with the limitations of the current set of parts. Gotta find that elusive motivation!

Ye, I've seen that part shown before, and it looks real good! I was talking about a 1.875m cylindrical fairing though; I remember someone saying something about it being worked on, so I was answering derega's question :wink:

And thanks for all the work you've done on this mod! Your modeling work is always top-notch!