[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

On 10/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, jrbudda said:

Ya this is what the majority of my time updating was spent on: fixing the XML serialization issues.

@jrbudda

I found a couple of small issues with KER:

First, to eliminate annoying message that KerbalEngineer.Unity is missing, add the following to the AssemblyInfo.cs

[assembly: KSPAssemblyDependency("KerbalEngineer.Unity", 1, 0)]

Second, to eliminate errors in the log about

D3D error was 80070057

Convert the two images in the Textures directory to DDS, you can use the DDS4KSP program to do so

On 12/5/2019 at 12:28 AM, DeadJohn said:

I noticed a discrepancy in my reported DeltaV and TWR. KER says one set of values while the default KSP display says something else. I also noticed that the KER suicide burn estimates are less reliable than normal.

This is only happening with one lander already in flight. Screenshot and log file are linked below. Data from the screen shot:

• DV
    • KER = 5648 m/s
    • KSP = 3857 m/s
  • TWR
    • KER = 4.72
    • KSP = 3.88

The problem does not seem to be widespread. Other ships in flight seem okay. The craft with the problem seems okay if I look in VAB; KER and KSP agree there. I also copied the lander to a new sandbox save, cheated it into orbit, and KER and KSP agree on the DV in flight.

Further testing with Hyperedit shows that as I add and remove ablator and monoprop, KER refreshes the new mass, TWR, and acceleration. The DV does not change, though, unless I change the Liquid Fuel or Oxidizer amount.

Any idea what's happening here? Is this an obscure KER bug, corrupted savefile, or something else?

I'm using KER 1.1.6 under KSP 1.7.3. Mods include the JNSQ planet pack; that's a 2.7x sized system.  The ship with the problem uses parts from Blue Dog Design Bureau.

Log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m3H64R_VIKoXeyIN-F-FFf8UzQ23Af-G

Screen shot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YmvhkKDvP1D8MSY5Vdn7mukLs0T1bSLa

Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm continuing to have issues where KER calculations seem wrong for some vessels. Some are good, others get incorrect numbers for DV, TWR, suicide burns, etc.

The incorrect craft use a variety of engines, fuels, and designs so I don't think it's a bad part config. For example, the original problem lander I posted used the LFO stock Terrier and staging, a different problem spaceplane uses lithium engines from Near Future and was never staged nor docked to another craft.

@DeadJohn  Just from looking at your screenshot, what seems to be going on is KER is reporting the dV (and TWR) your stage 0 will have if you stage now, whilst the ingame dV display is reporting the dV (and TWR) you have without staging. 

(Note KER's per stage breakdown.  0dV in stage 1, and 5648 in stage 0).  Since KER is assuming that you are going ditch stage 1 now, it is probably using just the stage 0 TWR and mass when calculating the suicide burn as well.  Personally I always have the fuel for landing on the landing stage, even if I use the same engine for landing and ascent.

• 4 weeks later...

Question,

If I want to nuke my KSP install and start fresh, but I don't want to have to set up all my KER windows with all their proper readouts and settings in the right places, what files do I backup? Where is the file(s) that keeps all that info?

Thanks,

On 12/4/2019 at 10:28 PM, DeadJohn said:

I noticed a discrepancy in my reported DeltaV and TWR. KER says one set of values while the default KSP display says something else. I also noticed that the KER suicide burn estimates are less reliable than normal.

This is only happening with one lander already in flight. Screenshot and log file are linked below. Data from the screen shot:

• DV
    • KER = 5648 m/s
    • KSP = 3857 m/s
  • TWR
    • KER = 4.72
    • KSP = 3.88

The problem does not seem to be widespread. Other ships in flight seem okay. The craft with the problem seems okay if I look in VAB; KER and KSP agree there. I also copied the lander to a new sandbox save, cheated it into orbit, and KER and KSP agree on the DV in flight.

Further testing with Hyperedit shows that as I add and remove ablator and monoprop, KER refreshes the new mass, TWR, and acceleration. The DV does not change, though, unless I change the Liquid Fuel or Oxidizer amount.

Any idea what's happening here? Is this an obscure KER bug, corrupted savefile, or something else?

I'm using KER 1.1.6 under KSP 1.7.3. Mods include the JNSQ planet pack; that's a 2.7x sized system.  The ship with the problem uses parts from Blue Dog Design Bureau.

Log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m3H64R_VIKoXeyIN-F-FFf8UzQ23Af-G

Screen shot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YmvhkKDvP1D8MSY5Vdn7mukLs0T1bSLa

DeadJohn, I have a similar issue.  In my case things seem fine in flight but at the VAB my numbers are as out of wack as yours.  ISP, Thrust, TWR, delta V, and Burn are all much too high in KER.  If they were correct, I could send my little orbiter satellite to escape the sun.  For the record, I am a noob.  I'm running Vanilla 1.8.1 with KER and Automated Science Sampler, so it's quite possible I screwed something up-- except you seem to have the same issue.

The existing version (1.1.7.1) seems to work fine with KSP 1.9

The new drain part looks like it will require an update that breaks backwards compatibility, so I will look into that and a few of the pending pull requests this weekend.

Edited by jrbudda

30 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@Nicky21 & @Kim Hanson would you be up for trying VOID, instead of KER, to see if VOID has the same issue?
I'm not sure if both installed at once would trip over each others feet, so might have to uninstall KER to try VOID... vOv

They won't interfere with each other, but you shouldn't do that for very long since each can be resource intensive (ie:  cpu)

@linuxgurugamer IIRC, I recall reading that MechJeb and/or VOID actually use quite a bit of the KER code for the calculations... vOv
Is this indeed the case with VOID? vOv

EDIT: Hmm.. may have just answered my own question?
From the VOID OP:

This software uses VesselSimulator and Engineer.Extensions from Engineer Redux.

SO would those be the "bits" that handle dV calculations? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

After some investigation I have determined the following about the new Drain part:

• It uses a totally new internal module type
  • Active draining resources provide thrust
  • The ISP of thrust is defined in RESOURCE_DRAIN_DEFINITION in the resource's cfg file.
  • The ISP of most vanilla resources is 5
  • Any unknown resource  (i.e. a resource that does not have a definition) is drainable by default with an ISP of 50.
  • The stock dV calculation does not integrate draining in any way.
  • The stock dV calculation does not even update if you drain all your fuel on the pad before launching.

In theory an active drain is providing thrust to the vessel and should be considered as a 'engine' in the flight simulation, but honestly I don't see a point. Given that specifically integrating modeuleResourceDrain into the flight simulator will break backwards compatibility for KER. I'm inclined to do nothing with it.

Happy to hear any opinions on the matter.

I can think of a few pathological cases where I'd care about the dV/thrust/etc of a fuel drain - but honestly all of them could be solved with tweaks to rocket design.  I'm ok with leaving it out.

KER should update as the fuel level drops however.

doesn't work properly in 1.9 indeed.

Yes it gives orbital references as AP and PE and such. But the function of dV readouts and manouvrenode readouts doesn't seem to work on my end.

Also my KER UI positions reset every time i boot the game.

Edit : was using the 1.1.7.0. version....

Edited by dxeh
edit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.