ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

12 hours ago, DDE said:

I distinctly remember an April Fools about that.

I was really hoping for a picture of rhino cavalry (why not arm the mount?) and only came up with the moose.  The boar in the background looks better, but probably bigger than you can breed pigs (assuming that they aren't bred to be roughly modern size because anything bigger would be unsafe or eat too much food).  I also suspect training boars would be even worse than trying to training moose.

A heavy warhorse is far larger than any human enemy: the main reason they weren't specifically armed is that you'd expect a horse to fight with a kick, and said kick would use the bottom of the hoof (nowhere to put a weapon that wouldn't interfere with movement).

Maybe breed a huge goat (possibly with boy riders) and put a spike on the head?  A lot easier to train to use the weapon.

32 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Sometimes boars are so big that one can confuse them with a moose.

Only Level 24 and above Death Knights.  Most others are bacon 

Except this one.  He's a space pilot, so he could visit the ISS 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3xW6D

Edit - sorry, you specified boars... 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Sometimes boars are so big that one can confuse them with a moose.

90% of the people on this forum won't be able to understand that political reference even through a thermal sight.

Spoiler

2021-11-18%2015.43.31.jpg

I think the story loses a lot in translation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The “we decided we needed to do this together*” and “this is a symbol of how united [(spoken in a manner implying permanence)] humanity is” comments present in every ISS documentary and all PR materials otherwise did not age well.

*emphasis added

Bolding: “we” as though humanity was united

———

How fast could a module taking over for the ROS’ functions be built to keep the US segment functioning? Could such a module be built?

Also, could the two even be separated? I know it was considered to make the ROS part of the ROSS, but I thought I saw comments elsewhere that detaching both was impractical.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

4 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

The “we decided we needed to do this together*” and “this is a symbol of how united [(spoken in a manner implying permanence)] humanity is” comments present in every ISS documentary and all PR materials otherwise did not age well.

*emphasis added

Bolding: “we” as though humanity was united

———

How fast could a module taking over for the ROS’ functions be built to keep the US segment functioning? Could such a module be built?

Also, could the two even be separated? I know it was considered to make the ROS part of the ROSS, but I thought I saw comments elsewhere that detaching both was impractical.

The main thing the Russian section provides is propulsion. This is needed for 1)Reboosts and 2) Desaturating the attitude control gyros.

1) Can now be done by Cygnus and potentially soon Starliner (and I wouldn't put it past SpaceX to be able to rig a re-boost module for the trunk pretty quick).

2) Could in theory be done by careful coordination of docked craft, or by one craft docked in the right place, but the development required for this hasn't yet been done AFAIK.

8 hours ago, RCgothic said:

The main thing the Russian section provides is propulsion. This is needed for 1)Reboosts and 2) Desaturating the attitude control gyros.

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

As far as I know, the ICM, built in the 1990s, is still mothballed and could be refurbished and deployed if necessary.

The ICM was a contingency module because there were real concerns that the Zvezda service module would be delayed further or destroyed at launch.

icmtnlarge3.gif

Edited by lemon cup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/2/23007575/russia-suspend-iss-cooperation-sanctions-lifted-ukraine-space-nasa

Since those sanctions are not going anywhere any time soon this effectively ends the cooperation on the ISS, I would not be shocked if this also meant Russians stopped re-boosting the station, which would lead to the end of the ISS in general :valsob:

Edited by Minmus Taster