St4rdust

KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Suits

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

i hope the music is added to the game, or at least in the expansion. it sounds good, and we need more music in the game

Edited by StupidAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Don't you just hit the big button on the HUD/Altimeter that says Lights?  (Maybe I'm mis-remembering how this works...)

Wait what, the helmets have lights?!

Well even 2000 hours in and still learning new things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Wait what, the helmets have lights?!

Well even 2000 hours in and still learning new things. 

Yes, press U to toggle them. Or use the button beside the altimeter. Most if not all capsules’ windows light up too, although is cosmetic. The helmet lights cast a beam that will light up whatever it hits, like the lights you can mount on ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the part of the DLC that I really don't care about. I want my robotics, and more stuff to do on the surface

On 5/17/2019 at 8:25 AM, steve_v said:

On an unrelated note: This is your official forum, so why are your updates just lazy cut-and-paste from titter? And what's with "#BreakingGroundExpansion"? You do realise that hashtag nonsense doesn't work here, right?

Whats with it? its a cut-and-past from twitter, as you said :p

16 hours ago, klesh said:

I’ve always used the suit lights and the fact that the camera centers on them. 

Yea, they've had headlights for what seems like forever. On the surface they are easy to see by lighting up terrain. In space the lights may not be visible if the kerbal is facing away from you. Also sometimes I have a kerbal on EVA, but the kerbal is not the active vessel/ I have multiple kerbals on EVA at the same time... so.. I guess it could be marginally better... but its not something I care about.

I guess the new aesthetic of the suit gives nice options, since so many different aesthetics of craft can be made by changing colors, clipping and using useless structural pieces to make ships that look cool, using the color sliders on lights (such that your ship is lit upt to glow orange or whatever... I see people making craft just to look cool, so some different suit aesthetics to choose from... fine.. its not my thing, but I guess some people will use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

its a cut-and-past from twitter, as you said

Yeah, it is. It's also extremely low-effort.

Modders regularly post comprehensive updates (and update teasers), complete with embedded pics and video, yet the best our "Community Manager" seems to manage is a lazy link to a post on a third-party site.
I find it kinda insulting how little time is spent to keep us updated on the official game community TBH, especially considering how much other (unpaid) members put into it. Would it have killed them to put that video up on a site that embeds in the forum, so we don't have to visit [snip]?

There, I've already spent far longer typing this post than St4rdust spent hitting ctrl-v. Low effort.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FWIW, I see the videos embedded in the forum.. no need to visit external sites.

 

As for the posts about realism a bit earlier, I personally don't care for it as regards the aestetics of the game.  Overall I like the cartoonush/gamey look, especially of the Kerbals.

As long as the actual rocketry part is reasonable I'm happy.

Edited by micha
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, it is. It's also extremely low-effort.

I don't know if you were around in the dark old days, but there was a time when one of us had to do that cut-and-paste back to the forum.

I personally don't see the problem posting originally to the most restrictive format and then reposting the same text to other formats. They're not advertising to us, merely informing us. It's not like the length of the post and the addition of a hashtag are going to make any of us not buy it.

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

Would it have killed them to put that video up on a site that embeds in the forum

I too see the videos embedded, both on PC and my (Android) phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, it is. It's also extremely low-effort.

Modders regularly post comprehensive updates (and update teasers), complete with embedded pics and video, yet the best our "Community Manager" seems to manage is a lazy link to a post on a third-party site.
I find it kinda insulting how little time is spent to keep us updated on the official game community TBH, especially considering how much other (unpaid) members put into it. Would it have killed them to put that video up on a site that embeds in the forum, so we don't have to visit [snip]?

There, I've already spent far longer typing this post than St4rdust spent hitting ctrl-v. Low effort.

What 5hm said. And also we’re getting a teaser animation like every day! 

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't know if you were around in the dark old days, but there was a time when one of us had to do that cut-and-paste back to the forum.

I was, and this is an improvement. Still, updates should go to the official forum first IMO. It strikes me as rather backward to post such things first to a largely unrelated third-party.

 

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's not like the length of the post and the addition of a hashtag are going to make any of us not buy it.

Of course not. I just thought one of the roles of a community manager might be to type things into the post editor on the official community forum from time to time. Silly me.
 

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I too see the videos embedded, both on PC and my (Android) phone.

I see them on neither, both are running Firefox. Chrome shows the embedding alright, but there's no way in hell I'm going to use that piece of google spyware as a daily driver. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steve_v said:

I see them on neither, both are running Firefox. Chrome shows the embedding alright, but there's no way in hell I'm going to use that piece of google spyware as a daily driver. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use Firefox on my pc but Chrome on mobile. Maybe you've got some kind of ad blocker that thinks the link is an ad? Or if you hate Twitter as much as Chrome, maybe you block it specifically? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe you've got some kind of ad blocker that thinks the link is an ad?

Further research reveals that it's the new built-in tracking protection that is doing it. I'm not about to disable it either, twitters XSS is on the naughty list for a reason.

 

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Or if you hate Twitter as much as Chrome, maybe you block it specifically?

I do indeed (how'd you know?), but I don't block it specifically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, steve_v said:

Would it have killed them to put that video up on a site that embeds in the forum, so we don't have to visit [snip]?

It's usual that companies eat their own dog-food - ie use the in house solutions first.

So, yeah. I think they should made the post here, and then copy'n'paste everywhere else.

Perhaps linking to the forum post wouldn't be the best of ideas, however. Anyone remembers the Slashdot effect? :)

Twitter has a additional problem: lack of control. Things goes through the tubes here, there're moderators and forum tools to cope with that. Twitter? You can be easily overrun by organized gangs of trolls.

I liked that idea of a General Public post, locked, and another for "internal affairs" where we could wash our laundry :)

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's usual that companies eat their own dog-food

Exactly what I was getting at, but far more concise. Ta.

 

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Anyone remembers the Slashdot effect?

Yup. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's usual that companies eat their own dog-food - ie use the in house solutions first.

Most TV studios and billboards around here have Facebook links instead of web sites. I think really it's that companies USED TO eat their own dog food.

Note I don't disagree with you. Owning your content is critical and nobody - even businesses who are supposed to be self-serving by definition - seems to actually mind giving it away to social media sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Most TV studios and billboards around here have Facebook links instead of web sites. [cut by me]

Note I don't disagree with you. [cut by me]

They are doomed on the long run .

They are allowing unrelated third-parties to handle their content as it best fit for them. You even risk seeing advertising from your competition on your Facebook's page .

Having a presence on Facebook, Twitter et all is not bad, but having presense only on them is suicidal. 

That link on Twitter? Something happens there, and this thread is damaged. Some horde manages to convince a half baked moderator on Twitter to delete that twit and we will have official KSP communication inaccessible for everybody.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Further research reveals that it's the new built-in tracking protection that is doing it. I'm not about to disable it either, twitters XSS is on the naughty list for a reason.

Ah, thank you for finding that, as I have yet to see any of the videos either, for the same reasons.

But, on that note, let's steer this away from the evils of social media, and backing onto glowing space suits please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay! Cool-looking and functional!

Would be good marketed as a Klamperture Science Glowing Thread or something

*sinks away into the realm of fan-fiction imagination*

hope this will be for 1.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 4:19 PM, sh1pman said:

Not sure if I like this one. Sci-fi glowing suits will likely look out of place next to realistic(-ish)-looking rockets and spaceships...

Then don’t equip the suit. You don’t have to like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

Then don’t equip the suit. You don’t have to like it. 

Am I not allowed to have an opinion about it?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm confused by some of the promotional material regarding suits.

Here you list the IVA suits: 

sBDFmUr.jpg

 

But here you're promoting them as EVA suits:

tBENBP4.png

PsOgMZ1.png

 

@St4rdust Could you clarify what is what?

Edited by klesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, klesh said:

I'm confused by some of the promotional material regarding suits.

Here you list the blue ones as IVA suits: 

sBDFmUr.jpg

 

But here you're promoting them as EVA suits:

tBENBP4.png

 

Could you clarify what is what?

The one on twitter is animated a bit... I guess??

Edited by Nigel J. Cardozo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, klesh said:

I'm confused by some of the promotional material regarding suits.

Here you list the blue ones as IVA suits: 

<snip>

But here you're promoting them as EVA suits:

<snip>

Could you clarify what is what?

I also found that strange. Maybe they changed their mind and made those EVA suits as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

I also found that strange. Maybe they changed their mind and made those EVA suits as well?

Maybe its just to make a snazzy looking promotion.  :confused:

 

 

Edited by klesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.