Did you ever abandon someone in space?

IAbandonedBobInSpace

The very first time I got into orbit (For most people, it's Kerbin, for me, it's Kerbol), 'mind you this is 0.24, I stranded my kerbals in orbit with no provisions or skill to save them. I don't have access to that save file anymore so they float in my nightmares for all eternity.

I guess this is one of the reasons that I'm very kerbalminded.

Planning for my first manned Duna mission now.  Can get there fine, but getting back.................

Methinks everyone strands their Kerbals on their first Mun landing.  It took me 2 rescue missions to get them all back.

When I was just starting to do interplanetary missions, it was very common for me to end up stranded in solar orbit and abandon kerbals there. The first (and most notable for me), time this happened was when I was coming back from my first Ike mission. I was coming into Kerbin’s atmosphere at almost 4 km/s, and ended up just barely not getting captured because my periapsis was too high. Upon realizing this, I got Jeb out of the ship and had him push it back with his EVA pack until it ran out of fuel and he became stranded floating in space. After Jeb was stranded, Mungan Kerman went on EVA to get himself back into an orbit, and while this was successful, he was fried on reentry. In the end, the last Kerbal remaining on my craft was Rodfurt, who didn’t do anything and was left to orbit the sun for the rest of my career game.

EVA fuel replenish upon boarding a craft. You could technically visit all SOIs with a one-part ship.

As for me, I don't strand anyone. If I screw up, I devise a rescue mission. That's also why I prefer not landing Kerbals on Eve. Trying to get the off that planet is too likely to fail somehow.

There was one crew that attempted to land at the Munar south polar region. The terrain in that region proved to be rather jagged. While they landed more or less safely, there was nowhere nearby to land a rescue craft. And a myriad pf F9'd attempts to 'fly' the toppled lander out of that cursed canyon all ended tragically.

In space no, but they have been known to spend a lot of time orbiting waiting for  tranfer windows.  Or 'going round again' if I time the Kerbin capture wrong.

On planets, there is a subtle, and flexible, distinction between 'stranded', 'long term deployment' and 'colonisation'.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.