Quick question: What's the first thing that comes to mind....

StrandedonEarth

No poll, I don't want influence peoples' thoughts. Just a quick question that's great to ask in a forum with people from all over the globe. I'm especially curious about non-North American responses, but all answers are welcome. Please, first impressions only; and no reading other people's answers first. 

When you see/hear the word "Canucks," what do think the definition is?

I'll explain why I'm asking tomorrow; hopefully I'll get some responses.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I find the view-to-response ratio disturbing….

I guess I may have been too vague, trying not to influence peoples’ thoughts, so I edited the OP.  I’m just looking for what people think the definition of “Canuck” is, or in other words, “What are canucks?” 

Why am I asking? Just a little personal market research, as my wife and I are trying to nail down our own “brand” (or a “schtick”for the videos we make) for her direct sales business, which seems to have reached takeoff speed and is clawing for the sky. I think if we can add the equivalent of a JATO unit to get it off the ground, it’ll really start to soar

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

A kind of vulture,

That's a new one on me. I don't see it in the list of vultures, Unless you were thinking of condors. Assuming you're even serious, but I'll play along.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

some sports team from North America, either football,

Really? The Canucks managed to land some stellar Russian hockey players last century, although Krutov enjoyed hot dogs waaay too much.

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I think, "Light-hearted nickname for Canadian."

About what I expected, I just had no idea how much that meaning was in common use these days. I don't think I've heard or seen the word "Canuck" outside of hockey for a long time now.

2 hours ago, Chemp said:

A Canadian in a Kayak.

Yeah, the kayak is parked outside my igloo, lol. :confused:.

See, when we posted the video of making beef jerky recently, I happened to put on a Canucks hoodie, which someone noticed and commented on. They noted that it was a good way to indicate that we're Canadian, since our direct sales brand is not set up for cross-border sales. And I had been trying to think of a shtick for our videos, in hopes of generating some sort of following (has anyone seen the Bat-Dad videos? Funny stuff, prime example of a shtick gone wild).

So I think we're going to try to ride their old marketing slogan "We are all Canucks!" while having Canucks swag visible. Something like "Welcome to Caron's Kitchen, Home of the Pampered Canucks!" or "We are all Pampered Canucks!" Now that we've settled on a schtick and finally found the right brand name, I've been able to create a logo, using similar-to-team colors.

Who knows, maybe this will kick off a friendly relationship with the club, and not a cease-and-desist order.

And yeah, I'm only being somewhat vague about the product line here because I don't want to come across as advertising on the forum. But it's a new*  and interesting sideline, and it's forcing this middle-aged dog to learn some new tricks.

Spoiler has our logo and background image...

Spoiler

b1tVhEs.png

(the background slide is one corner of our last-summer-renovated kitchen. Paid enough for it, gonna use it!)

NiLCxh6.png

*She's been doing it for a year now, and is doing reasonably well, earning smaller rewards and such. But now it's on the brink of the next level where things can really take off (there are trips involved!) and it just needs a little push...

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That's a new one on me. I don't see it in the list of vultures, Unless you were thinking of condors. Assuming you're even serious, but I'll play along.

Really? The Canucks managed to land some stellar Russian hockey players last century, although Krutov enjoyed hot dogs waaay too much.

About what I expected, I just had no idea how much that meaning was in common use these days. I don't think I've heard or seen the word "Canuck" outside of hockey for a long time now.

Yeah, the kayak is parked outside my igloo, lol. :confused:.

See, when we posted the video of making beef jerky recently, I happened to put on a Canucks hoodie, which someone noticed and commented on. They noted that it was a good way to indicate that we're Canadian, since our direct sales brand is not set up for cross-border sales. And I had been trying to think of a shtick for our videos, in hopes of generating some sort of following (has anyone seen the Bat-Dad videos? Funny stuff, prime example of a shtick gone wild).

So I think we're going to try to ride their old marketing slogan "We are all Canucks!" while having Canucks swag visible. Something like "Welcome to Caron's Kitchen, Home of the Pampered Canucks!" or "We are all Pampered Canucks!" Now that we've settled on a schtick and finally found the right brand name, I've been able to create a logo, using similar-to-team colors.

Who knows, maybe this will kick off a friendly relationship with the club, and not a cease-and-desist order.

And yeah, I'm only being somewhat vague about the product line here because I don't want to come across as advertising. But it's a new (well, she's been doing it for a year, with only computer/video support help from me) and interesting sideline, and it's forcing this middle-aged dog to learn some new tricks.

Spoiler has our logo and background image...

Hide contents

b1tVhEs.png

(the background slide is one corner of our last-summer-renovated kitchen. Paid enough for it, gonna use it!)

NiLCxh6.png

Beef jerky you say? So long it is sodium nitrate free I am interested!

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_buzzard

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Обыкновенный_канюк

In Russian it's /kanjuk/ or /sarych/, both words are adopted, of course.

https://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/канюк

(Probably, it's more a raptor, but I thought it's more eaglish, but in Russian all of them are stervjatniks i.e.  hunting/gathering everything looking not owned by somebody, either dead bodies like a condor (literally), or chickens like a falcon.)

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Not that I'm a TV sport fan, but the name looked familiar.

I believe, only local hockey fans could know exactly, as for others they are just "Canadians", nobody remembers those team captions.

Edited by kerbiloid

Just a generic Canadian.
Analogous to Yankee, or Gringo, perhaps without the negative connotation.

Edit:
Reading the rest of the thread, it's nice to be supportive of your spouse, but both of you please be careful. Pampered chef is a pyramid MLM scheme.
Watch for hidden costs, and every now and then do a financial analysis. It's easy to overlook small expenses, but they accumulate. Also, you should regularly tally up the hours you've put into in and see if it was worth it.

MLMs are notorious for, not only, not being a good source of income for everybody who is not in the very top, but being an actual loss for vast majority.

"Loss rates are extraordinary – over 99% for all of the MLMs for which I have been able to obtain relevant data. This in itself would not be so bad, except that MLM is promoted as an “income opportunity” – or even as a “business opportunity” – a misrepresentation in itself."

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/trade-regulation-rule-disclosure-requirements-and-prohibitions-concerning-business-opportunities-ftc.r511993-00017 /00017-57317.pdf

Edited by Shpaget

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Pampered chef is a pyramid MLM scheme.

Yes, but their parties are very tasty to attend if thrown by the right host.  

-Moderator Hat on- If we want to have a discussion about MLM's, we can move that to a new thread.  Otherwise, let's keep this to the reportedly nicest people on the planet, except when somebody drops a puck. 

Btw, I honestly wasn't aware of Canuck as a nickname for the Canadians till this day.

I had heard the team name "Canucks", but as  the word "канюк" is obviously of non-Russian origin, I was sure that it's it, and the team is just another one from the "(...) Eagles", "(...) Falcons",  "(...) Buffaloes", and etc., so just didn't got a thought to watch in vocabularly, as everything looked clear.

(So, probably only few people in Russia know this word).

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Btw, I honestly wasn't aware of Canuck as a nickname for the Canadians till this day.

Which is the kind of data I was looking for. it doesn’t surprise me that you hadn’t heard that meaning, because I assume (!) it was more used in the English and probably French speaking regions. I also suspect it’s less commonly amongst the younger generation, which is why I started this thread. 

10 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Moderator Hat on- If we want to have a discussion about MLM's, we can move that to a new thread. 

That’s fair. I’ll probably start one later to reply to @Shpaget’s concerns

10 hours ago, Gargamel said:

the reportedly nicest people on the planet, except when somebody drops a puck. 

Oh cmon, ice hockey is a gentleman’s sport. And anyone who disagrees is going to get  crosschecked into the boards! :cool:

Spoiler

Replying again: did not read the explanation before.

I would, yes, generally agree that when an American hears the word "Cannuck" or "Canuk" or however you may want to spell it, the first thing we think of is a Canadian.  Can't tell you whether some English speaker from anywhere else will get the reference - so unless you're trying to sell Maple Fired Beef Jerky Treats in Belize, you're probably getting the 'feel' of Canada by cribbing on the term.

<Deep breath>

IDidNotWantToSayThisButBeefJerkyOnTheSmokerIsTheWayToGO!!!!!

Smoked Bourbon Jerky Recipe | Traeger Grills

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.