Hunting the 10,000 Pm SSTV signal

Nazalassa

2 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

About user-created content I got a crazy idea...

The KSP community (and beyond) creates from scratch a KSP-like game that would be more axed on the community, modding, compatibility, etc.
Why not?

But that's not what this thread is about, and I don't think  lot of people would want to participate anyways.

Sound's like minetest!

46 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Sound's like minetest!

Oh, you know Minetest?
Me too!

Yeah, a thing that would be to KSP what Minetest is to Minecraft.

Like having everyting -- parts, planet packs, modules, and more -- in packages with an in-game package manager.

Like for example, default:parts:some_part_name represents what's called some_part_name in the subpackage parts of the package default. Or core:physics is whatever's called physics in the package default. Etc, etc.

I was thinking that there would be a package default for whatever default stuff we put in (like a default planet pack and a few default parts) and then bigger or otherwiseew parts are made by the comunity and can be installed by their packages.
And then there would be a package core for the game's core (physics, editors, space center builder, etc.). But I won't delve deep into this here, so please send me a PM if you want to discuss some more about it :)

Oh and, maybe a community-made forum too :P

Edited by Nazalassa
because why not

4 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

The two successful attempts are from 2014, maybe we should try in a version of KSP that was released near 2014...

Alas, T2 doesn't want to give owners downloads for these owners, and yet they insist we don't use other methods to get them - it's a paradox I say. Good thing that listening is only an option.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Alas, T2 doesn't want to give owners downloads for these owners, and yet they insist we don't use other methods to get them - it's a paradox I say. Good thing that listening is only an option.

We just need to find someone who still has KSP 0.22 and ask him/her to do that experiment...

11 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

there has been three (and not two) observations

@Spica

@Holo 

Who else? 

@NovaSilisko was the one who planned all the Easter eggs, by the way, and unfortunately he says it appears to be a bug. We don't know of any work done on Easter eggs since Nova's departure from Squad, so it does seem to be most likely a bug. 

3 minutes ago, Deddly said:

@Spica

@Holo 

Who else? 

@NovaSilisko was the one who planned all the Easter eggs, by the way, and unfortunately he says it appears to be a bug. We don't know of any work done on Easter eggs since Nova's departure from Squad, so it does seem to be most likely a bug. 

DSMP?

Anyway, feel exhausted ;.;

I confirm, the mission "PETAMETA1" was made by @DMSP.

Now, maybe KSP stores a value somewhere on the computer, which all versions can read -- and if it actually was that sstv signal a few weeks ago, then I don't have a chance of hearing it again on my computer.

Maybe, but he heard it.

Sorry, I misunderstood a post:

I thought he was talking of the signal.
My mistake, sorry.

(due to the way the post was written)

Oh, I encountered weird stuff too, I have some footage of it but Ididn't make a video of it(yet).

On 10/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, Deddly said:

Ah, but @DMSP's mission sadly failed. 

Oh goodness! This is a damn blast from the past. EIGHT YEARS AGO to the date. Can you believe that?

I just cannot believe that it has been that long, I remember being hunched over my mom's old laptop, its fans burning holes through my floor, way past when I should have been asleep, listening for any sign of a noise. I, indeed, never heard anything: But I wish to believe.

Keep exploring and pushing forward, @Nazalassa!

On 10/12/2022 at 10:30 PM, Nazalassa said:

I think there's such a thing in Chatterer...

If you transmit science to KSC with Chatterer installed ,a random SSTV signal will play from the folder "Chatterer/Sounds/sstv" in GameData. They are in B/W 12 format. You can decode them yourself with a program like QSSTV (which works with Linux.) QSSTV will also let you encode your own SSTV signals, which you can put in that folder. (Audio must be in OGG format I think)

• 2 weeks later...

Update coming (within the next week I hope)! (Mostly because the TOTM nov. 2022 reminded me of this experiment.)

This time, with a better keyboard :)

I won't use my computer's default OS this time (Ubuntu 22.04.1 with KDE). I will create a boot key (Linux obviously) and will do anything that has to do with that SSTV signal (if it exists) on it, so that if KSP writes any value on the HD it won't be saved when I reboot the computer.

I have searched a bit on the forums, and there is a 78.29% chance I have found a working way of getting KSP 0.22 via Steam. More on that later, when I'll have tried.

So I will (I hope) have two factors that will (I hope, again) increase the odds of that SSTV signal (if there's one) being played: no file persistence and early 2014 KSP version.

Any recording will obviously be saved on an external storage device, for persistence reasons.

If a SSTV signal is recorded, it will be decoded with qsstv (thanks @tajwo!) and the picture will be posted in this thread. I am also going to make a precise log of what happens ( [1:12:57.0215] Ion shutdown     and the like ).

More on this thread later!
                                                   (I hope)

You'll have to wait a few days -- I haven't done anything related to that SSTV signal for the last 2 (or 3?) weeks, tomorrow (I hope, if homework don't take me all the day) I will try to get 0.22 from Steam.

Then, build a ship
Launch it
Wait to be somewhere near 10,000 Pm
Record the whole thing without music
If there's any SSTV, decode it using qsstv.

Plenty of things to do.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:07 PM, Superluminal Gremlin said:

I think what the signal is is just a floating point error...

I mean that's a  real possibility and also a likely one.  

In old versions of games things often broke when you got far out, Minecraft's far lands for example.   If the audio generation point suddenly rubberbanded, or literally anything else happened, and the sound or music very quickly got loud and then quiet, it would be mistaken for a blip.  

It would be seriously awesome if this were real, but I don't see any reason why a signal would be that far out.   Way beyond anything that could have even remotely been considered as a place to put something in the future.

Best of luck though!!

On 11/4/2022 at 6:22 AM, Nazalassa said:

You'll have to wait a few days -- I haven't done anything related to that SSTV signal for the last 2 (or 3?) weeks, tomorrow (I hope, if homework don't take me all the day) I will try to get 0.22 from Steam.

Then, build a ship
Launch it
Wait to be somewhere near 10,000 Pm
Record the whole thing without music
If there's any SSTV, decode it using qsstv.

Plenty of things to do.

WANNA TRY SAVE FILE EDITING?

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Can't you just remove the ksp directory from steam so you don't have the client?

I meant, I have to install Steam on my computer. I already have an account but I lost the Steam application itself a while ago... I don't use Steam now.

Spoiler

And it seems I'm a little lazy these days, so I don't know when I'll do that :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.