What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I tried and tried and tried and tried to launch my science vehicle in a fairing, but the vehicle kept wobbling out of place and breaking loose ensuing in all kinds of explody bits going everywhere. After adding strut after strut after strut with no success, I rage deleted the launch vehicle. Took a break, and decided to throw the common sense design guidelines out the window, strap some orange tanks & mainsails to it and see what happened.

After a few tweaks I wound up with this crazyness:

CK6fqWml.png

It flies!! Add enough struts, girders, airbrakes, and reaction wheels and it's surprisingly stable:

L92ALQzl.png

Drag, shmag:

YNKu1fVl.png

Up in orbit, on the way to the Mun. Tomorrow we'll see if it can actually land:

a7NpWq3l.png

was running out of kerbals to sacrifice so i finally got to rescueing bill. also brought back 3 of 6 kerbals i had on the moon, the other 3 will follow when their research is done

still another year to the next duna transfer window so i started work on a new station in lko. i've put it all together in the VAB, now i just have to find a way to split it up into pieces and launch them

Science grinding, and built a nice new rover for same... rationalizing all the time spent around KSC as "field training" for the kerbonauts.

ETA: And built my first serious rocket plane, imaginatively named the XK-15. A slight mishap on the first takeoff attempt released the parachute and started the rocket simultaneously, but damage was comparatively minor.

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

I tried and tried and tried and tried to launch my science vehicle in a fairing, but the vehicle kept wobbling out of place and breaking loose ensuing in all kinds of explody bits going everywhere. After adding strut after strut after strut with no success, I rage deleted the launch vehicle. Took a break, and decided to throw the common sense design guidelines out the window, strap some orange tanks & mainsails to it and see what happened.

After a few tweaks I wound up with this crazyness:

Nice! That looks a lot like my big skycrane. I never thought mine would work, but keep it pointed straight up and throttle slow in the soup and it can haul a small space station, or large station part, into orbit with ease.

HHRVjIN.jpg

After spending a few days experimenting with mods for 1.0.4, getting back to tying up the loose ends of my 1.0.2 career in preparation for starting over.

adkLZvd.jpg?1

Jool Orbiter 2 continued its tour of the Joolian moons, having visited Laythe and Tylo repeatedly and Pol and Vall once apiece, it missed only Bop before finally crashing into Laythe after running out of fuel. All in all, it was one of my most successful probes (even though its antiquated instruments returned relatively limited science points) and I was sad to see the end of it.

h3yjadK.jpg?1

In the meantime, Bill and Leechelle took the Kazak down to the surface of Duna for the first time.

IEIPMVx.jpg?1

The descent was a lot gentler than Val's rocket had been, not least because Kazak had decent-sized parachutes.

LRqu2q2.jpg?1

They would've been the first Kerbals on Duna if Val hadn't beaten them to it. Still, they brought a lot of science points back to the Rumfoord for return to Kerbin.Bill repacked the parachutes so Kazak is ready for one more trip to the surface (targeting a different biome this time) before it is jettisoned in Duna orbit and Rumfoord heads for its next stop, Ike.

Today I posted the fourth update for the Fifth year of my Kanawha Space Program - Duna Visitors. Sent quite a few ships outbound to Duna, and, when combined with the four ships inbound to Eve from the update I posted on Tuesday - Eve Visitors and the four probes sent to Jool one to Eeloo and one to Dres, that means I've got quite a bit of hardware in transit. Busy times.

20150801_ksp0215_duna.jpg

I actually got out of the SPH and did some flying. Thanks to frame lag, I have abandoned massive spaceplanes for refuelling and reverted to a 90% recoverable 'Big Dumb Tank', which is just about cost effective for Mun & Minmus trips.

First off, I let MechJeb insert it into 120k LKO (straight from the launchpad) while I made a nice cup of tea:

MphLyvt.png

Next, I docket my RoLander to it, to refuel for a forthcoming tourist trip, and brought up a 'Kerbin Low Orbit Recovery' (K.L.O.R) plane, AKA the 'Albert Steptoe', to deliver a free flying klaw unit to the RoLander and swap crews for another mission, and top up on fuel:

Rg0MIrSh.png

Next I undocked everything and deorbited the tank. Not quite at KSC but close enough:

ljNTdiHh.png

Then I did a quick rescue with the KLOR (Hello Shepdin!) and had a relaxing flight back to KSC.

Suddenly, while lining up for my final approach I "Collided with the Launch Pad":

cCvNNfPh.png

THAT was when I remembered that my last quicksave was 2 days ago!

Fortunately there is a parachute on the cockpit (a standard fitting) so I hit abort and saved the crew.

Unfortunately the tail end acts as a shock absorber on landing so I have just written off 50,000 funds worth of aircraft.

All in all an enjoyable evening but not profitable :(

After spending a few days experimenting with mods for 1.0.4, getting back to tying up the loose ends of my 1.0.2 career in preparation for starting over.

http://i.imgur.com/adkLZvd.jpg?1

Jool Orbiter 2 continued its tour of the Joolian moons, having visited Laythe and Tylo repeatedly and Pol and Vall once apiece, it missed only Bop before finally crashing into Laythe after running out of fuel. All in all, it was one of my most successful probes (even though its antiquated instruments returned relatively limited science points) and I was sad to see the end of it.

http://i.imgur.com/h3yjadK.jpg?1

In the meantime, Bill and Leechelle took the Kazak down to the surface of Duna for the first time.

http://i.imgur.com/IEIPMVx.jpg?1

The descent was a lot gentler than Val's rocket had been, not least because Kazak had decent-sized parachutes.

http://i.imgur.com/LRqu2q2.jpg?1

They would've been the first Kerbals on Duna if Val hadn't beaten them to it. Still, they brought a lot of science points back to the Rumfoord for return to Kerbin.Bill repacked the parachutes so Kazak is ready for one more trip to the surface (targeting a different biome this time) before it is jettisoned in Duna orbit and Rumfoord heads for its next stop, Ike.

Nice images... I'm curious what aesthetic mods you use in case I'm missing something nice.

Last night was the first night I'd had all week to play KSP for any decent length of time. It saw the semi-successful landings of the two Raven 7 flights I had active, Val's (with her group of tourists for contracts) and Cerxie's (to ferry the necessary fuel to Val to land). Cerxie came down first; she botched her re-entry point rather badly and wound up out of fuel in atmo over the Highlands to the east of KSC by a good five to six hundred kilometers. She was, however, able to maneuver over a relatively low-grade patch of Grassland and made a successful emergency landing without breaking anything. Val's re-entry point was spot on and she was able to get her plane close enough to KSC to glide most of the rest of the way in. With not enough fuel left and her batteries dying, she went for the landing instead of going around despite being off-center and too-low. The plane lost too much speed on final, it stalled and the the tail struck; Val cracked her engine off at 20 m/s, but was able to save the rest of the plane and was able to taxi onto the Runway from there. Any landing you can walk away from, right?

Anyway, I've replaced the tourist contracts with a space-station contract for Kerbin and an object retrieval mission from Kerbin orbit; haven't done one of the latter yet and I'm thinking about how to go about doing it. I can do space station missions in my sleep at this point, so I'll probably deal with it tonight and hopefully make some easy bux.

Tried to make a jet vtol to move an depleted asteroid some 7km to ksc. Found it to be impossible due to variable thrust, can't make it hover. aerospikes would maybe have worked, but fuel was the problem. used a plane with a grabber front. drop front landing gear and push into it, then pick it up completely. could not fly it, but rolling it into KSC worked well.

I messed with the persistent.sfs and everybody on Kerbin died. Except three clones, which were also the product of me horsing around in the source code. I still don't know what happened, or why those three survived. Jeb, Bill, and Bob were not on Kerbin at the time. They were in Prometheus Station orbiting it, and survived the... whatever that was. A 12-kerbal base on Dres turned into a single, unmanned hitchhiker module. A nearby ascent vehicle survived intact, without anybody in it. The transfer vehicle orbiting Dres had its engines, docking ports, and main fuel tank disappear, and its crew is gone as well. Also, Minmus disappeared. I had a base there. Then I had some debris, a rover, an OAV, and a levitating hitchhiker module. Then I had a levitating everything because Minmus isn't being rendered but its collision box is. KSP crashed while I wrote the previous sentence.

All of this started when I went into the persistent.sfs and changed an asteroid's class from 0 to 30, and its mass from 150 to 2000000000.