What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I tried to fix a power generation bug with a stranded ship around Eve - Even after using KIS (ITS WORKING YIPPEE) and adding Solar Panels, Batteries, RTGs and it has a nuclear reactor on board - it doesn't generate power when unloaded.

In other news Jovean Flight captured around Jool today.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I kind of want to go back to the roots of KSP and remind myself how it is to play without mods.

I've tried that a couple of times now. I never last more than an hour. The stock skybox and sunflare alone are enough to bring me to tears of frustration.

I managed to do my first "first stage return landing".

It went better than i had hoped, apart from some confusion as to why my SAS freaked out while trying to land. Turnes out that the fins didnt understand that they were going backwards so i had to flip their control authority.

U9a3J4M.jpg

Finishing up a late stage career game, still on 1.4.5.  I'm playing with Outer Planets, so have some rather distant locations.

I have put a Kerbal onto every body in in the inner system out to Sarnus ( except Moho ).  I have large exploration ships in every system ( basically mobile stations ).

I have a permanent base on Duna, with a permanent station in orbit, and a pair of Duna Cycler transfer tugs to keep up the flow of new Kerbals and supplies.

I have sent probe landers to the outer system, and am in the process of completing putting a lander on every moon of the outer system.  Just have Thatmo and Nissee left to do around Neidon, and then I'll have visited every body in the system!  Thatmo will be interesting, as my lander has a very very low TWR ( 1.03! ).

This will be the furthest I've gotten in the game, I usually stop playing after I finish out the tech tree.

Looking forward to 1.6, once my key mods are updated!

Sent off a supply drone to preposition at Eve before launching a manned mission. This is using a heavy tanker I normally use to haul fuel to orbit from a Mun refinery as a tug to send the Eve tanker on its way. I really didn't need the Wolfhounds to be gimped before this maneuver came due, c'est la vie.

zDdbKVC.png

I had a busy two days in my career.  Career first manned Duna mission departed.  I flew a few more GAP airline contracts - and built a new 6-seater - to help rebuild funds, rescued a few new recruits - and found my reentry instability problem with my Falcon/Falcon II spaceplane - and for the first time ever landed something intact on top of the VAB.  I also performed an ocean rescue (sort of) in a new seaplane.

Duna Express departing Kerbin orbit for Duna

9cPVueS.png?1

It's ugly.  It's barely controllable. But it IS a VTOL, and (after multiple attempts) I managed to land it intact on the VAB helipad - without destroying the VAB!!

PQ2Qyb3.png?1

New CS-05 Phoenix, built to fulfill the 20,000m/mach 2 aircraft contracts.  It probably could've fulfilled the next set (35km & mach 3), but I had a spaceplane rescue mission that fulfilled those - which is also where I figured out my instability issue.  The airbrake on the Falcon spaceplane is just in front of the vertical stabilizer, so when deployed it blocks it & the rudder.  I tried a variant with 2 airbrakes placed on the sides of the fuselage, and there was no loss of yaw control.

YtZF7S6.png?1

The Kerbal coast guard needed help retrieving a lost pilot offshore, so I threw together a small seaplane to fly out for the search & rescue.  Considering the (small) amount of time I spent building it, it performed remarkably well.  The tanks at the wingtips & under the cockpit are what passes for floats

0ooG8wj.png?1

Finally, some airline flights to the island & desert airports started rebuilding my funds after launching the mass mission to Duna.  This approach was almost too low but ended up with a safe landing

ICceQn1.png?2

New 6-passenger Bandero airliner.  Not quite as pretty and polished as the 8-seat Dash, it also doesn't have thrust reversers, so I added spoilers to the wings.  The smaller engines have about half the fuel burn though - for almost the same speed. 

tkLzeOn.png?1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:46 AM, Cavscout74 said:

Then I made some changes to my Falcon II spaceplane to attempt to correct the loss of yaw control & subsequent loss of 15-20km of altitude late in reentry.  I upped the control authority on the rudder (from 50 to 75), and added droop wingtips to hopefully give a little extra directional stability.  I also added a pair of small flaps for extra drag on reentry & some extra lift on landing.

Just a suggestion, but maybe move the nuclear engines forward to be at the wing roots? That tail section is going to be hella-heavy and with no fuel aboard you've got no weight at the front. Suspect your CoM is moving way back when the tanks are dry. 

If you pile all the engines at the back you pretty much have to go delta + canards rather than mid-wing + tail :) 

No time for KSP today, but turns out I have a bunch of screenshots from a Minmus expedition

t4zPNIF.jpg

The return home in the dark was pretty harrowing... After surviving re-entry with the engine attached, Jeb decided to try to salvage the entire stage, resulting in a descent speed of 11.6m/s. Which promptly blew up the engine on impact anyway. Nonetheless, Jeb has now acquired the lucky trait, seeing as how he managed to miss that massive wall of mountains while flying completely blind.

Also, this game can be really disorienting when the camera starts flailing around near planetary poles...

cAPvDQM.jpg

But at least I got to land in the Sound of Music...

akGybbO.jpg

Took a break from modding to day to sleep and continue creating an SSTO booster. With last night's proof of concept successful, I decided to try and build a larger version capable of placing 17 metric tons into orbit. Several failures later...

Successful launch powered by 4 Vector engines

mvWmpr6.png

Payload dropped off in orbit:

rbTjeQ4.png

On the way back down..

arxIwV9.png

Atmospheric entry really cooked the engines, they barely survived. Some sort of active cooling is needed..

ztAIo9x.png

Adjusting flight path to reach KSC...

1E6AiTO.png

And touchdown!

shGDMmo.png

Landing legs by Kerbal Reusability Expansion, fuel tanks and guidance package by DSEV.

Started the KSP 1.6 by building a mini sub, Blowfish Mk1

UUJrgi8.png

The improved model, Blowfish Mk2, is built shortly after evaluating the Mk1's performance, and Jeb will test it into the depths

lh5FvOt.png

The Void beckons us...

8GXPmXz.png

K3oKT1h.png

Sadly, I didn't accomplish much today.  Mostly passed time waiting on maneuver nodes & tinkered with some new airliner designs courtesy of Airplanes Plus.

Some were successful - a larger 1.875m version of my Dash airliner, the Big Dash is a little slower but holds 16 passengers + 2 crew.  After my last (untested) wing tweaks, it should pick up a few more m/s, but it will still be slower than it's little brother.

54ITRbY.png?1

1Bicqq3.png?1

Others were not so successful - the turboprop version of my 6-passenger Bandero. 

NzeXC0t.png?1

Actually, the plane flies just fine.  I knocked off the left wingtip during a bad landing at the island strip & decided to take off again anyway to see how well it would work.  All things considered, since the test pilot is still alive, it worked pretty good.  Finally, I took a pair of tourists up to orbit in my Falcon II.  And finally DIDN"T stall/spin on reentry.  I stowed the brakes well above 30km & got the nose down to a more normal angle before getting into the marginal 20-25km range.  And it just drifted down, flying perfectly straight, until under 12km & speed around 800 m/s, when I resumed normal control & landed without too many bumps.

v2vhckS.png?1

1 hour ago, ARS said:

Started the KSP 1.6 by building a mini sub, Blowfish Mk1

UUJrgi8.png

The improved model, Blowfish Mk2, is built shortly after evaluating the Mk1's performance, and Jeb will test it into the depths

lh5FvOt.png

The Void beckons us...

8GXPmXz.png

K3oKT1h.png

Huh, never knew that Kerbin had underwater trenches/abysses. I always thought that it was flat down there...

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

my Dash airliner

Please post [all] to KerbalX, Dude!

I built your Dash 8 from the recent screenshots and it's a hoot: really fast.  My meTro only has one Wheesley, so I have included your Dash in my regular fleet.  I also built your new seaplane.  (I had to fiddle to get mine out of the water again, but it does.)  Really, sincerely love your work!!

Edited by Hotel26