Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

42 minutes ago, monstah said:

I dunno if that's still the case, but I've seen users with "zero" posts on account of that...

Yep. @Boorang used to be one, I think

34 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

If it makes you feel better, rep still counts in there.

Yeah I know :)

*cough cough, rep farming, cough cough*

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Do they get time off for good behavior? :D

Actually, a history of good behavior is pretty much why we got sentenced called to moderator duty in the first place...

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Hard to say. We've had a couple of people quit after a few days, but some of us are going on 5 years. Two guys left, then came back, and one of them left again. 

And some of us you just can't seem to get rid of... :D Kinda like a stray cat. Feed them once and they hang around you for the rest of their life...

So... I was trying to type the word [Profanity skirting redacted by moderator], to explain a point, (NOT GETTING PLOITICAL)

And it came up as "pedant"

Is this how blacklisted words are handled? :S 

Edited by Snark
Look, if it filters out the word, it means the word isn't supposed to be in the forum. Please don't work around that.

12 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

So... I was trying to type the word [Profanity skirting redacted by moderator], to explain a point, (NOT GETTING PLOITICAL)

I'm no moderator but I have plenty of experience in this. Yes, that is exactly how it's handled. Each of those words that have been deemed as "nonexistent" within our happy little forum community have  other words which replace them. My favorite is when I read, " I am really liquided off at so and so..." :o Yeah, it makes it more lighthearted than anything else. Even with historical terms, such as the one you were using to represent the sociopolitical situation of World War II Germany.

Back when I first joined the forum, it was explained to me by @Red Iron Crown (and yes, I know he is no longer active but is surely missed) the reason is that certain historical terms have also become quite abused by contemporary society. And when it is not referred to the historical term, most folk use it for shock value or as a way to shut up those who they disagree with. And to be honest, I agree with that sentiment. That era of human history needs to be studied and remembered, but never bantered around until we forget what happened.

Now I have completely forgotten the question I was going to ask... :0.0:

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Please don't skirt the filter, guys.  It's there for a reason.  If the forum doesn't like you using a word, then don't use the word, okay?  We have a rule against profanity skirting.  Don't do it, please.

3 hours ago, Spricigo said:

About the blacklist. Is a thread to make fun of the backlist ok?

Yes, I know that the fact I feel the need to ask is an strong indicative that the answer is probably NO!

Looks like you answered your own question.  :)

The main issue with starting such a thread is not so much that it's a priori horrible, but more that it's practically guaranteed to go off the rails quickly and repeatedly, and is just encouraging people to work around the filter, and will almost certainly end up needing to get locked in short order.  Generating a bunch of pointless scut-work for the moderators along the way... who, I need not remind you, are unpaid volunteers who are putting in our time to try to keep these forums running for all you fine people.

So, please, don't go trying to make our lives more difficult just for your own amusement, okay?  Yes, it's a funny idea, but it would really be nice if we could just leave it at that.  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Snark said:

Looks like you answered your own question.  :)

Intelligence is even more a quality when one lacks common  good sense. :confused: :cool:

17 minutes ago, Snark said:

Yes, it's a funny idea, but it would really be nice if we could just leave it at that.  Thank you.

Don't worry, let's say it was an "academic question" . 

And, just in case no one said it to you (moderators) today:

Thanks for all the good work. 

References to the government of Germany 1937-1945 are banned on this forum because: 

• the genocidal racism of those times is still an open wound for many people
  • the movement is (disgustingly) not entirely dead in several countries as of 2018, and therefore falls under our ban on politics
  • there was a period when a small group of particularly troublesome forum members would insert references to and the symbols of that movement into unrelated posts on the forum, resulting in arguments, warns, and outright bans. 

It was, in short, no end of serious trouble. And so that ban is not going to be lifted. 

Now, guys, we really need to move on because discussions about the stuff that can't be discussed on the are, obviously, not going to go well. Any further concerns should be raised with moderators through PMs. 

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

References to the government of Germany 1937-1945 are banned on this forum because: 

• the genocidal racism of those times is still an open wound for many people
  • the movement is (disgustingly) not entirely dead in several countries as of 2018, and therefore falls under our ban on politics
  • there was a period when a small group of particularly troublesome forum members would insert references to and the symbols of that movement into unrelated posts on the forum, resulting in arguments, warns, and outright bans. 

It was, in short, no end of serious trouble. And so that ban is not going to be lifted. 

Now, guys, we really need to move on because discussions about the stuff that can't be discussed on the are, obviously, not going to go well. Any further concerns should be raised with moderators through PMs. 

Yup, I get it. 

10 hours ago, DAL59 said:

How many users with more than 50 posts have visited within the last year?  

I can check...

EDIT: Didn't find exactly what you were asking for, but....

We've had about 1380 new users since the first of January. Of those, only four have more than 50 posts. No joke.

36 of those have at least 10 posts, and only a little over 200 have at least one post. (The page kept resetting after a few pages though, so I can't guarantee that the number 200 is completely accurate :P)

EDIT 2: My estimate was way off :D It's not 200, but actually 564 members with at least one post.

Edited by Earthlinger

OK. I have a question...

My last Emiko Station chapter was pretty huge, aprox. 9,500 words, and somewhere around 300 screenshots total. Now that one was a bit of an exception, and I don't plan on making all of them that big... But it got me thinking.

Just how big is too big for one post, as far as number of screenshots and all that? 

Edited by Just Jim