Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

52 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

go to games and click the last page button.

nvm it is what is your least favorite <piece of media>

Looks like Unix time has something to do with it? January 1st, 1970 is the start of Unix time. The post also doesn't exist anymore, leaving an empty thread; something that's not supposed to happen.
It seems like the time was deleted alongside the post and the software defaults to Unix time 0?

Edited by Delay

4 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

no no... I like this one better. Okay, why is the las post in games “Forum Rules” by Guest, written in JANUARY 1969?

KSP was invented shortly after Apollo 11, so the forums have quite a history.

The process of becoming a mod is actually quite grueling (I can say this as I did it just a few years ago). First, you must prepare your body by shaving everywhere and covering yourself in peanut butter. Then there's the physical, where you are tested for endurance and agility by running a 10km obstacle course in subzero temperatures while carrying a backpack full of wet sand. After that, you must write a 1000-word essay about the spirit of the KSP community and how you will preserve and protect it. That done, you move on to the Reverse Captcha, where you must read 1000 posts and determine which ones are spambots, miss more than one and you're out. Finally, after you have completed those tasks, you must submit your moderator registration fee of $1000 in cash to UomoCapra and he'll make you a moderator.[1]

Spoiler

In my case, I was approached by @Darth Badie, who asked me if I was interested in being part of the moderator team. I said yes (after asking a bunch of questions), signed an NDA, and was given a whole bunch of moderator permissions and access. We very much throw new moderators in the deep end and make them learn how to swim!

We have a few things we look for in moderators:

1) Minimum age 18 years old, for legal reasons (tropical years, not siderial). 

2) Have a good understanding of the English language. A second language is valuable but not required, a number of our mods are unilingual.

3) The person is expected to have been contributing for a long time in a positive way to the community and shown a willingness to adapt to and abide by the rules. Post count and rep points don't count, but a hard-earned good reputation and the respect of others is vital.

4) The prospective moderator must be friendly and have a desire to help others. 

5) Must definitely not have any craving for position or power. 

6) Must be willing to do thankless tasks in their free time that very few people, if any, will ever notice, and to occasionally be on the receiving end of unkind, abusive messages whilst being able to keep objectivity and without responding in the same manner. 

[1]Adapted from the original by Red Iron Crown

26 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ooh ooh when do you get your keys to the Forbidden Library?

Those - we do not speak of.

Or so a friend of a friend told me...

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

4) The prospective moderator must be friendly and have a desire to help others.

4.5) be high spirited and funny for at least most of the time. From my experience. You all are pretty nice in my opinion, though you still do a great job moderating

On 4/11/2020 at 12:15 AM, RoninFrog said:

How did these forums get created?  Who created them?

And in the beginning, Harvester, the mighty one in the days of old, spake out into the darkness of the Internet and said, "Let there be a forum so that the players of Kerbal Space Program can gather."1 And at their word, the domain was purchased but the forum was empty and without form.2

From the Book of Kerbal Space Program Lore

Mods 

Can I make a collaborative space station

I.e in the spacecraft exchange subforum (or idk) create a post saying that I want to make a collaborative space station. Whoever would want to join is welcome to join in. They can also choose what part of the station they would like to add. Can I create this thread or does it break any forum rules? If I am allowed to create this kind of thread, which subforum should it be in?

Edited by VoidCosmos

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

And in the beginning, Sal and Harvester, the mighty ones in the days of old... 

Bzzzt! Historically inaccurate. Sal_vager was not one of the original moderators. I believe he was in the second batch to be recruited, though. 

@VoidCosmos, there have been several of those and they belong in the Challenges & Mission Ideas section. Have fun with it. :)

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Bzzzt! Historically inaccurate. Sal_vager was not one of the original moderators. I believe he was in the second batch to be recruited, though. 

@VoidCosmos, there have been several of those and they belong in the Challenges & Mission Ideas section. Have fun with it. :)

So.. I can do it?

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

@VoidCosmos

I didn't know that... But then again, I wasn't active in the forum until the end of 2012.