Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

7 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I did a shallow dive into the phenomenom and I have a theory.

If as I understand it, the company that hosts the KSP servers is used by over 40% of the web sites world wide and if I am right from stuff I have read that Chat GPT has access to the server. It may be that Chat GPT is inadvertently causing the problems by accessing the servers , looking for data, at a rate far greater than humans alone would be doing. And these high speed and numerous calls to the servers are overwelming them. When they were first established they would not have been thinking of the servers being accessed as fast as these AI programs do.

This fits with what I’m seeing through other reports and personal experience.     Maybe not ChatGPT specifically, but at least traffic overload.   

On 7/3/2024 at 3:32 AM, ColdJ said:

As the poll has had a strong result for a while now, is there any chance of getting the layout back to pre KSP2 days soon?

On 7/3/2024 at 5:44 AM, Gargamel said:

The first time we shifted a while back it was weeks in planning.    This time it was thrown together with no discussion or prep by somebody who is no longer with us.     When we’re ready, we’ll get around to it.    For now, it’s works.   

I give the same sort of answers to my wife (often), and over many years she's learned to interpret it as "not any time soon... do it yourself if you want it done this decade." I'm sure I and others would happily pitch in to do this ourselves, but we can't. Hoping whomever is in charge of the site layout is more motivated than I am when asked to take on an unpleasant task...

Edited by attosecond

As I said in another thread, I did recently try some preliminary measures toward re-organization the order of the subs but got kicked out of the admin mode twice during my attempt. I'm not going to mess with it again until things have settled down. 

On 7/4/2024 at 5:02 AM, ColdJ said:

If as I understand it, the company that hosts the KSP servers is used by over 40% of the web sites world wide and if I am right from stuff I have read that Chat GPT has access to the server. It may be that Chat GPT is inadvertently causing the problems by accessing the servers , looking for data, at a rate far greater than humans alone would be doing. And these high speed and numerous calls to the servers are overwelming them. When they were first established they would not have been thinking of the servers being accessed as fast as these AI programs do.

Not really, no. All kinds of things - search engines, the Wayback Machine, individual humans running wget - crawl websites to make complete copies of them. "AI" is a horrible blight but the crawlers that run on its behalf are not a new idea at all.

8 hours ago, damerell said:

Not really, no. All kinds of things - search engines, the Wayback Machine, individual humans running wget - crawl websites to make complete copies of them. "AI" is a horrible blight but the crawlers that run on its behalf are not a new idea at all.

No, never said that searching for info was a new thing. And nothing exists in a vaccum. So all those things you mentioned are all happening at the same time, but now on top of all that we have fake AI combing through thousands of pages a minute to find info to cobble together into a response that seems intelligent. Real intelligences such as ourselves, carry our knowledge around with us in the most advanced hard drives on the planet. What they call AI these days, are algorithms that are trained to look for key words within a context, and then string searched for information into a defined template.

They are accessing the servers at rates far faster and more often than any humans. The pathways in and out of servers are not infinite, so basically they are causing traffic jams because the servers can't keep up with the routing.