Devnote Tuesday: Slow News Day II

SQUAD

He said it was in the previous statement, which means it can't be in that first sentence,

Oh, so I am way off, read it as the last post ... time to go to bed, you people figure it out, you got seven hours! :P:wink:

If his "previous statement" is this: "heh, I thought my ears were burning." Then it's probably sound or heat related.

[...] That "green lighted" is interesting, as is "but I'm pretty pleased with where it landed".

"green lighted" yes, I've seen some requests for different kinds of lights, and that would definitely be a small feature, if the guess was correct. I also noticed the choice of the word "landed" but as Porkjet is the "flying/landing" guy, couldn't come up anything. A sound overhaul is not likely, HarvesteR wrote in a previous devnote that he was looking forward to the audio tools in Unity 5. Adding a few FX to ISRU parts would be nice, but I don't think he would describe 'a ton of personal playtesting' in connection with a few sound FX.

Landing approximation? Like the Trajectories mod? Not sure that Squad would green light that. I mean, maybe, but I have doubts.

If "landing" was the hint, as opposed to it being a heat thing, my guess would be a biome map for the resource overlay system RoverDude implemented for 1.0.

It connects with his previous work, and is something else the game really needs at present.

If "landing" was the hint, as opposed to it being a heat thing, my guess would be a biome map for the resource overlay system RoverDude implemented for 1.0.

It connects with his previous work, and is something else the game really needs at present.

That already exists. It's in the cheat menu.

My guess is resource transfer pipes because he had been tinkering with it. Something you would tinker with on EVA would be pipes, I guess?

It also connects with his previous work.

Please let it be pipes PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

Edited by Veeltch

That already exists. It's in the cheat menu.

Implemented just as a cheat, not an actual game feature, and in a very basic form without any associated bells or whistles such as visual or sound effects. It can be given an in-game interface, and for example, be used to display biomes where the player has collected science or not with various experiments and such.

I just implemented a similar system for my mod recently, and it makes a big difference to overall playability. It also helps a heck of a lot with picking landing sites, which is why I associated it to that potential hint.

Edited by FlowerChild

Huge expectations should probably be rained in. They said it was a small giveaway as thanks for waiting, so toss out any ideas that has the word "overhaul" attached. This will be a lollypop, not a new car (although probably a very tasty and skilfully crafted lollypop).

Probably best to look at RoverDudes past work as an indicator of what it might be, what things are in his wheelhouse. I think people looking at heat references, or landing references are probably on the right track.

Wow, this is amusing to watch people wracking their brains looking for more clues than are there... Roverdude, wait longer to say it! Or better yet, give more hints hidden inside other misinformation! This is fun to watch! Call the conspiracy theorists!

I definitely think its landing approximation because if it were some kind of heat improvement, he probably would not have spent a ton of time playtesting it.

Yes because it went so well last time they didn't extensively playtest all aspects of the new heat system...

And guys, the term featurette is appropriate. This is not some massive thing - it's just something small but really nice that I was able to get into 1.0.3, and I think folks will like. So please set expectations accordingly... so something Larger than a new Xenon tank or SRB, but smaller than asteroid mining.

Nothing to see in the OP, folks. Move along. Just more of the usual, "we're working on something cool, but we can't tell you." Just don't bloody mention it at all then. (insert derisive invective here)

Edited by Apollo13

...please set expectations accordingly... so something Larger than a new Xenon tank(1) or SRB(2), but smaller than asteroid mining(3).
Three things mentioned in a single sentence, this can only mean
HL3 is confirmed! Furthermore, HL3 will involve space travel: Gordon Kerman will have to fix a Xenon tank, so he can get to an asteroid!

And guys, the term featurette is appropriate. This is not some massive thing - it's just something small but really nice that I was able to get into 1.0.3, and I think folks will like. So please set expectations accordingly... so something Larger than a new Xenon tank or SRB, but smaller than asteroid mining.

Xenon mining from asteroids confirmed.

or

SRB fuel mining from asteroids confirmed.

or

SRBs using xenon fuel confirmed.

or

Asteroid SRBs made of pure xenon confirmed.

My guess is a landing radar readout that tells you the surface contour below you before you touch down. It makes sense as he mentions landing and as he has built scanners (for finding minerals) before it would be along his line of talents. As well something like this would be very useful and small but still take a fair bit of testing (as he states it did).

Personally I think this would be really handy to warn you of landing in a slope before you do.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.