[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

55 minutes ago, Jall said:

May I suggest with the Taerobee that the main motor be encased in the fuel tank since I don't think I've ever seen a sounding rocket with an exposed engine like this.

I've already prepared an alternative version, similar to how Beale has a shroudless version of the A4/V2 engine in the mod already.

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I've already prepared an alternative version, similar to how Beale has a shroudless version of the A4/V2 engine in the mod already.

Ok, thanks. Its looking great though!

On 11/9/2016 at 8:39 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Hey everyone! I have the main Taerobee parts together now, and I've uploaded it to the Taerobee Github. Please feel free to take a look at it and let me know what you think. @Beale, let me know how you feel about the style, etc when you get the chance.

LINK TO ALBUM

oN2V1wa.png

On 11/12/2016 at 8:05 AM, Beale said:

I'm so happy to see these!

It is exactly what this mod should have begun from, if I had the time.
Many thanks @CobaltWolf & @VenomousRequiem!

I should clean the X-1 when I have a chance :) 

This brings me so much joy. Can't wait to try this out and for what may come for Taerobee.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 10:39 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Hey everyone! I have the main Taerobee parts together now, and I've uploaded it to the Taerobee Github. Please feel free to take a look at it and let me know what you think. @Beale, let me know how you feel about the style, etc when you get the chance.

Very nice! I like that KSP's modding ecosystem now supports more than one execution of the sounding rocket concept (i.e. Taerobee and USI - though it's a tiny bit saddening that they're technically not compatible due to the slight difference between the .3125m and .35m size standards.)

Spin stabilization via fin angling, and despin via RCS, both work fine. I do find the monopropellant consumption by SAS to be mysterious during gameplay though - the first couple of times I went up, I enabled SAS but not RCS, then I ran out of monoprop before I could figure out what I was doing wrong. (The VAB SAS readout does not display resource consumption so there's no discoverability.)

I would suggest going with regular EC consumption for the SAS - at the start of the game you don't have antennas or reaction wheels for the sounding rocket, so the SAS is useless without the RCS, which is monoprop-limited anyway. And if you're worried about the early access to SAS being abused, well, it's moot slightly later in the tech tree when the OKTO is unlocked, anyway. (If anything, the early access to a lightweight probe core is more problematic for super-early balance, but it's necessary and still basically harmless.)

Other than that, I noticed that my aerobee experiments sank when I splashed down, then exploded on the ocean floor... not ideal for recovery. I think that's because they're ten times more massive than the stock thermometer + barometer.

Edited by PocketBrotector

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

T A E R O B E E   V 3 . 0

Big thanks to @CobaltWolf, @VenomousRequiem and @Jso for excusing my lazy butt and putting together this entire release!

• Balancing.
  • Aerobee rocket, models textures and configs courtesy of VenomousRequiem, CobaltWolf and JSO.
  • RealPlume Compatibility by VenemousRequiem.

Aerobee contains a new set of tiny parts, allowing you to create a huge variety of small rockets (And finally the mod's namesake is included in the mod!).

0Yk2dHm.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it just me, or does the parachute decoupler (the one you mount below the despin module) not work? For some reason when I mount the part in the VAB, the chute appears to be pre-deployed and there are none of the various options on right-click to set altitude etc. It acts like a normal decoupler with only ejection force being definable in the VAB.

33 minutes ago, Geredis said:

Is it just me, or does the parachute decoupler (the one you mount below the despin module) not work? For some reason when I mount the part in the VAB, the chute appears to be pre-deployed and there are none of the various options on right-click to set altitude etc. It acts like a normal decoupler with only ejection force being definable in the VAB.

Using any parachute mods? Real chute?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...